• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

well Im not starting to look into tranny idea's.. I think i could almost swap it out with a 5 speed and save some money.. an ats tranny runs bout 5k not including labor. I got a friend who said he would swap it for $1400. So whats my best bet.. I always wanted a 5 speed and Im running an edge comp so I been told a stock clutch wont last long with that. I wanna get it to where it will handle let say 500-600Hp. Future plans are to build the motor up next year. SO whats your guys input?

well Im not starting to look into tranny idea's.. I think i could almost swap it out with a 5 speed and save some money.. an ats tranny runs bout 5k not including labor. I got a friend who said he would swap it for $1400. So whats my best bet.. I always wanted a 5 speed and Im running an edge comp so I been told a stock clutch wont last long with that. I wanna get it to where it will handle let say 500-600Hp. Future plans are to build the motor up next year. SO whats your guys input?

Depends what you want it for and if you mind changing gears. You can get a good built auto tranny to handle 500 HP for around $3k. Install would be then $500 (ish) or do yourself. The 5 speed clutch can be upgraded to handle like 550 HP for like $900-$1000 eg http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/south-bend/13125-FEK.htm - 10% So you could have a built auto for $3500. or Have a built 5 speed for $2400 with your mate swap if the $1400 covers the NV4500 as well as labor - wasn't sure if you meant you had one around ....... else tack on another $1300 ?? So $2400-$3700 depending. The 5 speed will get you better mileage in city (less slip). The auto will get you better track times if that interests you. Probably less issues with the 5 speed - but more time changing gears in city. :) You would have a 47re tranny core at the end to sell ........ maybe $300-$500 depending on condition
  • Like 1

well I ment to say I was NOW lookin for tranny idea's. Last time i checked a beefed up ATS tranny cost round $5000. If I could get a whole salvaged dodge cummins with the 5 speed for $3000 id have round $1400 in lobor to do the swap. then Id just need a better clutch.. No im not into raceing or pullin sled's I just want something reliable and strong

well I ment to say I was NOW lookin for tranny idea's. Last time i checked a beefed up ATS tranny cost round $5000. If I could get a whole salvaged dodge cummins with the 5 speed for $3000 id have round $1400 in lobor to do the swap. then Id just need a better clutch.. No im not into raceing or pullin sled's I just want something reliable and strong

don;t need $5k for an auto to handle 500 HP .............so :shrug:

--- Update to the previous post...

From memory this is rated close to 500 HP

You can pick it up $200 cheaper on Ebay too .....

So $2500.

http://www.per4manceinnovations.com/transmissions.php?id=2

• Like 1

what do you think the better way to go for the money is? a swap or a billet auto:shrug:

I dont mind changing gears im young so thats not a problem.. Ive always wanted a 5 speed but the truck I was gonna buy with it sold the day I got there to check it out. only one they had left was the auto and anything was better then the 6.0l powerstroke I was fixing all the time

what do you think the better way to go for the money is? a swap or a billet auto:shrug:

I dont mind changing gears im young so thats not a problem.. Ive always wanted a 5 speed but the truck I was gonna buy with it sold the day I got there to check it out. only one they had left was the auto and anything was better then the 6.0l powerstroke I was fixing all the time

Dunno.

I like my auto ...... but I never have had a 5 speed diesel. My mate has one - its ok -seems a little harsh on gear shifts to me ....... just a personal thing ...... am sure I would like the 5 speed if thats what I had.

If its not going to cost you that much difference in doing the swap - maybe do that - sounds like what you wanted in the first place. Plus probably more reliable at that HP ... and less electronics/pressure issues etc :):thumb1:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Now Ive heard people go both ways when it comes to the swap.. Ive heard people say the nv4500 is not a good swap but the nv5600. Heard it go both ways so my question is whats the way I should go.. I was thinking on buying a wrecked 5-6 speed dodge. Id just swap the computers instread of having to reflash mine.. so how would the nv4500 work if it was out of a non computer truck. Sounds like the nv5600 out of a 01 like mine would work the best but Im not sure..

NV 4500 is easier and cheaper to fix versus the 5600 and the 5600 is no longer made so parts can be hard to get for them although aftermarket has picked up the slack there now. I would aim you at the 4500 because they are all over and easier to find as chevy ran them also and do the mainshaft update for 5th gear fix and install a billet input shaft if you are looking at more power and heavier clutch. Then you will have a bullet proof tranny.

How would I get my computer on my truck to work with a manual.. do you just unhook the transmission wires? Wouldnt it be trowing codes. I was thinking if i did do the swap could I just take the computer out of lets say a 98.5 dodge that had the 24v and the 5 speed in it and put that computer in my truck instead of reflashing the computer i got? Whats your opinion on that matter. Has anyone here actually done that swap?

• 1 month later...

quick question. 98.5-99 24v had 5 speeds right? I could use the computer outta one of them and then I wouldnt have to have it reflashed

Then I could buy a donor quad cab long box so i could use all the drive shafts and all and then swap my computer out with that one so its already set for running the manual.

What other years and makes could I find this 5 speed in. I almost want the 6 speed cause thats what woulda came in my year of truck. Ive seen some around that have 5 speeds and 6 speeds.. Whats the deal with that.

• Owner

5 Speed NV4500 and Automatic Transmissions where a 235 horsepower 460 foot pounds of torque engine... 6 Speed NV5600 was a 245 horsepower and 505 foot pounds of torque engine... There was differences in the ECM for all transmissions. Like the Automatic transmission didn't have the idle governor like the manuals. Then the 5 speed and 6 speeds had a minor difference in the software fueling and timing.

So If I found a 5 speed 24v I could put that computer in mine if I did the swap and it would run same as the one I got only for a 5 speed? Right

then I could have the 5 speed and not have to deal with the reflash of the computer on mine cuz i heard hore stories bout that not working.

• 1 month later...

Just an update I did end up swaping the 47re with a nv4500 out of a 99 Dodge Cummins. With it I got the South Bend double disk clutch rated for 650hp and 1100 ft lb I believe. So Far I LOVE it.

Also wanted to thank everyone for the ideas and tips. I am pretty happy with the choice of the manual over the built up auto.

• 2 weeks later...

http://revmaxconverters.com/torque-converters/performance-truck/47re-truck-torque-converters Speak with frank. I liked the company. http://revmaxconverters.com/about/shop/47re-stage-3-torque-converter says 850ft-lbs torque for $399 :P I went with a 3x disk (1500 ft lbs) ..... probably should have stayed with single.

I was checking out the site yesterday. When the time comes I'm going w RevMax I think. Fair prices! Thanks again, Dave