Hit 60,000 miles

• Administrator

Well we have hit 60,000 miles in the 4th gen.   Replaced the oil and fuel filters.  

I have on order from @dieselautopower the Banks big horn intake elbow / grid delete plate.   This will prevent the grid heater bolt from falling into the motor if the bolt fails does fail.   Not typically a fan on Banks due to $$$, but their design allows me to not need a tune and it looks well done so it is what it is.  The OEM grid heater is replaced with an ford 7.3 / duramax 6.6 Intake air heater in the elbow.  It draws less amps and work work as well as stock, but if it isn't good enough I will just weld in a 2nd heater and daisy chain.

also need to get some shocks ordered to replace the stockers as I am sure they are getting worn.  

To date I have replaced nothing other than oil and filters and it has been a great truck.  

• Like 2

So it begins. 76K on my 4th gen. I know way less about it because it never gives me any problems to fix. I did the GDP grid heater delete/relocation. Valair Dual Disc, tuned, deleted. Thuren shocks, coils, control arms, leaf spring shackles. Bunch of other dopey stuff. 

• Administrator

It appears to be pretty rare considering how many 6.7 cummins there are out there, but given how much our grid heater gets used I would rather just error on the side of caution. 

I'll be curious what you think of the Banks piece, I also am not a fan of them. 

Also curious on the grid heater effectiveness. I know we don't need nearly as much heater as comes on these things but the 6.6L uses the grid heater AND glow plugs. 

I've got 8 years left on my warranty so I doubt I do anything before that.... The only change I am considering is the Thurn high clearance swaybar as that was the only place the tire chains rubbed on my '18. 

• Administrator

From what I read the 6.6 uses this for cold start emissions only and the glow plugs for actual heating of the starting air.  

if it isn't enough I will prob weld another bung on the elbow and install a 2nd coil.  

• Like 1