• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Clutch Safety Switch

According to the wiring diagram, it should work without any side affects.  If you decide to do it, just be sure you continue to practice your learned engine starting safety habits - no starting the engine without being fully seated in the driver seat.

- John

• Like 1

I got ya, Im a farmer by trade and everything I have is old school including me. lol  I was made before the safety seals were put on everything. I dont know how we made it. 2002 is new tech around here. Im lying I actually owned a 2005 dully for about 5 years, sold it and bought another tractor.
Have a good one my friend.

• Staff

I had the safety switch eliminated on my 1st gen. It caused some near misses one of which my truck almost drove thru the shop rear wall. It pushed the table saw into the work bench and the work bench started to go thru the wall before I stopped it. Worse because it drove over a bucket of old engine oil laying there, a big mess. Sometimes you just forget....stupid me, I hit the key to start when standing outside the truck. Truck door hit the shop and pinched my legs hard. I was bruised for awhile. Lucky I stayed with the truck till I got it shut down.

Second time I told the tire shop to make sure the clutch is pushed in when starting but, he forgot and it hit the front wall with a big glass window before he got it stopped.

Truthfully, I would never go without a clutch safety switch JMHO.

Thanks for sharing your experience.  Your story has well demonstrated how quickly things can get out of hand. 

Many times a safety device, such as a clutch safety switch, is mandated, but the reason is not thoroughly explained, even though the reason may seem obvious.  Then, as time goes by, the value of that safety device changes even though the device itself hasn't changed.   Let me explain (using the clutch safety switch as an example).

In 1984, I purchased a new Ford E150 van with a 4 speed manual transmission.  It had a clutch safety switch.  I never modified it.  But, if I would have modified it and activated the starter in gear while outside of the vehicle, the following could happen, even with the park brake set.

*  The engine could start before I let go of the key.

That would be the worst case scenario, but probably would not happen.  Why?  Because back then most engines were gasoline engines and the engines were carbureted.  Those engines would usually take a few revolutions of cranking before the engine would start.  Plenty of time to let go of the key.  Also, the resistance of cranking the engine in gear with park brake resistance would greatly reduce the chance of the engine starting.  But the event would probably scare the heck out of me.

So, fast forward a few years and you will find that the safety device has not changed, but the instant starting of a high torque, low RPM diesel engine has.  Therefore, the risk of serious property damage or serious injury has greatly increased.  @JAG1has illustrated this well. 

@JAG1has also made a good point regarding a tire shop employee starting the engine in his truck using poor safety habits - a risk that I did not think of.  In this case the employee is relying on the operation of the safety switch and he is not placing himself in the driver seat every time he starts an engine. 

Over 50 years ago (before the addition of clutch safety switches), safety awareness regarding starting manual transmission engines was greater.  Now, the safety awareness is posted within pages and pages of other safety awareness items.  Not likely to be read.

For all of these reasons, I think I will keep the clutch safety switches in my truck and my tractor fully operational.

- John

• Thanks 1

• Staff

The tire shop employee was in the seat when the truck lurched forward into the brick wall. Both rear wheels were laying rubber when he finally got the clutch engaged. It damaged only the brick and not the storefront window. They did not want to have me pay for the brickwork. They were more than nice about it. if the truck had pinned someone walking by it could have crippled even killed them.

Edited by JAG1

I get it,I understand it. I run on any given day 4 pices of equipment that have no safety switch on the clutch, for 27 years I ran heavy equipment and no safety switch in any of it. When I park in my garage I have a curb just like the ones you see in walmart and thats because my garage leans downhill and I put it in neutral everyday start truck and let it warm up against that curb. I still check it regardless before start. Ive been doing this all my life and never had not even a close call. When you have driven clutch operated vehicles all your life its a part of life. My 2012 Dodge 1/2 ton is the first auto Ive ever owned, nothing worse than popping your knee out of place looking for the damn clutch. :lmao: Thanks for the post