• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Inconvenience of EVs

Mopar1973Man

19 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

we need plans to deal with the recycling. lets get a plan going, this isn't about Biden is about the lack of future planning being done.   

Kinda reminds me of nuclear. Going to supply clean nearly limitless power.

They never really had a plan for what to do with the waste....very sad

Super sad as nuclear is a great way to generate power considering the small waste vs watts generated. Newer plant designs claim to be able to use the waste in another generation cycle.  

Technology solves problems.     Hell at some point it might be cost effective to shoot the **** into the sun.

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

You wouldn't buy a honda civic to haul drywall, why would you buy an current EV to drive across the country? 

I agree.

There are other areas for electric vehicles that are not being talked about much - small off road equipment, such as a mini-excavator.  One of the most undesirable aspects of an electric vehicle is the large amount fixed weight (the batteries) the vehicle must carry around all of the time.  In a mini-excavator, the weight of lots of battery power would be an asset.  The heavy weight of these batteries would be part of the needed counterweight.

There are already a few manufacturers of EV excavators.

I have a Takeuchi TB016 mini-excavator.  It weighs about 3500 lbs.  It is powered by a 3 cylinder 14 hp Yanmar diesel engine.  It would be an excellent candidate to be powered by a large battery pack.  The high starting torque of DC electric motors would easily propel the tracks - no hydraulics.  The volume of oil needed for the electric powered on-demand hydraulic pumps used for the auxiliary hydraulic circuits would be significantly reduced.  A lot of pluses. 

- John

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tractorman said:

I agree.

There are other areas for electric vehicles that are not being talked about much - small off road equipment, such as a mini-excavator.  One of the most undesirable aspects of an electric vehicle is the large amount fixed weight (the batteries) the vehicle must carry around all of the time.  In a mini-excavator, the weight of lots of battery power would be an asset.  The heavy weight of these batteries would be part of the needed counterweight.

There are already a few manufacturers of EV excavators.

I have a Takeuchi TB016 mini-excavator.  It weighs about 3500 lbs.  It is powered by a 3 cylinder 14 hp Yanmar diesel engine.  It would be an excellent candidate to be powered by a large battery pack.  The high starting torque of DC electric motors would easily propel the tracks - no hydraulics.  The volume of oil needed for the electric powered on-demand hydraulic pumps used for the auxiliary hydraulic circuits would be significantly reduced.  A lot of pluses. 

- John

Just as there are currently many bad use cases for EV there are also many many good use cases for EV technology.       your example is a good one.  

there are downfalls with ICE technology.   dinosaur bone fuel controlled mini contained explosions to generate torque within a narrow power band that wastes ~%80 of the possible BTU's out of the radiators.... doesn't sound super great when you say it that way.

nothing is perfect, but there are good use cases for each.  lets not ignore the good use cases to prop up our point of views.

Edited by Me78569

I’m a fan of EV’s, and I would absolutely own one at some point. What I don’t like is that the push to adopt EV’s is more politically driven and less market driven. Petroleum based vehicles and EV’s can coexist, and as improvements are made in the EV space the market will work itself out. 

I’ve worked for the Silicon Valley cartel my entire career, and in my experience the market driven technology has always benefited the end user, while mandate driven technology adoption seemed great in the short term, but always created problems way bigger in the long term, often unforeseen.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Andyba20 said:

I’m a fan of EV’s, and I would absolutely own one at some point. What I don’t like is that the push to adopt EV’s is more politically driven and less market driven. Petroleum based vehicles and EV’s can coexist, and as improvements are made in the EV space the market will work itself out. 

I totally agree. My biggest push back on EVs is the fact that it's being legislated,  slowly but surely,  as this is what you will use, practical or not, too bad.

Let the market decide.  There is a use for both. I get the planet may be in trouble,  but forcing EV on the people will not fix it. To each their own.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Another Telsa fire for Thanksgiving.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRC2hfty/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/377006/nmber-of-us-highway-vehicle-fires/

Ok on average there are 174,000 vehicle fire per year in the USA alone.  1 Tesla that made the news is not really an argument when 475 other cars each day light up.  

• Staff
59 minutes ago, Max Tune said:

I totally agree. My biggest push back on EVs is the fact that it's being legislated,  slowly but surely,  as this is what you will use, practical or not, too bad.

Let the market decide.  There is a use for both. I get the planet may be in trouble,  but forcing EV on the people will not fix it. To each their own.

I also think the planet may be in trouble. In the New Testament when talking about end times it says, ''many will become concerned about the whole Earth''.

It talks about that in terms of how we are to not worry but, rather increase our faith. Be at peace with everyone and ''Let not your hearts be troubled''

We can't change what God says will happen even talks about how the earth will become polluted.

Please don't be annoyed at me for saying the things above. I never push it but, at times needs to be said to help maybe help some.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

• Staff

We are just a long for the ride on earth, the earth will be fine

Extinctions have been a natural part of the planet’s evolutionary history.  99% of the four billion species that have evolved on Earth are now gone.  Most species have gone extinct.  There have been five mass extinction events in Earth’s history. ¹ 

So, taking a pragmatic view, if there is a 6th mass extinction event this blue marble in the cosmos will still be spinning around.  Man's 2-million-year existence will be but a small footnote in the Earth's history.   

413405937_261.jpg.94c588c8bbb76db1656a5e15330e1f00.jpg.

¹ourworldindata.org

• Like 1

I agree on all parts of that Mike, those are not anti ev technology thoughts or feelings.  

The reason we have high fuel costs is we don't have enough refineries in the states anymore, so even though we output more barrels than we can use we don't actually have the ability to use what we take out of the ground.  

Fuel prices the last few years were too cheap to encourage USA Petro to build refineries.  It was cheaper to import than to refine.  Issue is now we have the Russian Ukraine war causing a huge lack in oil from Russia, supply and demand says fuel prices go up.  

We need to free ourselves of the OPEC control of American fuel prices.  We also need to expand beyond relying only on gas and diesel for automotive use.  Let's use electric where it makes sense and gas /diesel where it makes sense.

Short trip use of ev makes sense.   

If I was an oil executive I wouldn’t invest in building new refineries or improving existing ones either, especially when the largest state in America is mandating zero emission vehicles by 2035. This didn’t all just start happening, the hostile political postering against oil started way before Ukraine or the pandemic. We’ve been shifting away from OPEC steadily since before you and I were born @Me78569, I think we get like 4X more crude from Canada than all OPEC countries combined. So we free ourselves from OPEC control and what-shift energy control to China? Because that’s where all the EV batteries are being made…that’s a major major economic security and national security threat. 12% of our energy consumption is electricity, 2/3rds of that electricity is made from fossil fuels. Again, I’m all for advances that make sense to me as a citizen and consumer, but the heavy handed “death to oil” approach from the political class is going to lead to a bigger mess than we can imagine. They claim it’s in the interest of combating climate change, but it’s not, so the out of control push towards green energy has to be for another reason. I don’t know what that reason is. 

• Like 2

Money is always the reason.  Right or left money is what drives policy.

That's what I always say when something doesn't seem right...."follow the money"

Doesn't make it seem right, but at least you get a little idea of why it seems wrong....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenroberts/2022/02/24/russia-is-united-states-top-source-of-imported-gasoline/?sh=4146d9e81b18

Here is a good read on where we get out refined gas from.   %20 of our fuel went away when we stopped buying Russian oil.

Looks like I was incorrect on OPEC as they are. A smaller source.  

Regardless we need to find another source to supplement fuel.  It's never good to have all our eggs in one basket. 

That’s the other hard part, I try to do my own research instead of relying on the news, but I don’t even trust studies, reports, government statistics anymore. Like you said, money has corrupted everything (including and especially climate scientists).

• Like 1

I personally don't believe our government  works efficiently enough to modify all data or even most of the data in a manner to "pull the wool over our eyes" on all these subjects.  

The people making the data are just workers like you or me.   Read a few sources and if they agree then I tend to believe it.  

North Korea or China seem to have a handle on it, but when I look and listen to the people representing us I just see a bunch of chimpanzee's humping door knobs.

Edited by Me78569