• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Inconvenience of EVs

Mopar1973Man

So I just went ahead and used the

Motor Trend tow test and split the difference on weight/mileage and did 225m/135kwh: 1.66kwH per mile.

To match the Cummins distance it’s 945/1.66kwh: which would mean a 569.2kwh battery. 569.2 X 12.9 would be a 7,343 lb battery. 

im using this article as a reference point for determining CO2: https://climate.mit.edu/ask-mit/how-much-co2-emitted-manufacturing-batteries

so if the 80KwH Tesla model 3 battery makes an average of 9 metric tons of CO2 to manufacture, and each metric ton is the equivalent of driving a regular ice vehicle 2,500 miles, then before it’s rolled off the lot it’s produced the equivalent of driving a ice vehicle 22,500 miles. 

A RiviAn battery large enough to meet match the range of Mikes truck would need over 7 times the KwH in the Tesla battery, which would be equal to 157,500 ice miles before it’s even rolled off the lot.

Math comes to 1,319 lbs CO2 (RiviAn) and 770 lbs CO2  for the Cummins. Again-based on coal generated electric, if I adjust across averages for generating electricity it would be .885 X 569=503 lbs CO2 for the RiviAn. 

again, I’m likely oversimplifying some of this, and there are so many variables to consider, including the sources of information. But it’s something worth watching and adding new data and information to as it comes available. 

I’d still buy a Tesla just bc I think they’re cool and they’re fast. If it was solely based on practicality I’d probably go for a hybrid. 

The range/battery problem needs to be solved, someone will have to defy certain properties of nature to do it. 

Last thing, cost. You can see as the EV range increases the weight increases due to needing additional battery capacity. I used the national average cost of electricity.

135Kwh X .18 cents= $24.30 (8 cents per mile)

11 gal diesel X $6 =$66 (22 cents per miles)

when adjusted for mikes range of 945 miles

569kwh X .18 cents= $102.42 (10.8 cents per mile)

35 gal diesel X $6=$210 (22 cents per mile)

So as capacity is increased for range, the battery weight increases and begins to increase the cost per mile, while the diesel remains the same (duh).

Curious to see how the Tesla semi’s that Elon just rolled out will handle this. 

Edited by Andyba20
  • Like 1

so do you not believe what I posted in terms of how much jet-a is burnt yearly vs how much gas and diesel is burnt yearly?    I know 5 gallons a mile sounds like a lot, but when you compare actual fuel burnt and see that airline travel makes up only %7 vs gas and diesel on road use it is a little different story.   

If we convert the total number of gallons of diesel/gas consumed in the US last year to barrels of oil we get 4.32 billion. Each barrel contains 1,700kwh. The math on that comes to 7.344 trillion Kwh’s. The graph below shows the total kwh’s consumed last year in the US at 4.12 Trillion. Only 20% of that was renewable, so .824 Trillion kwh’s. If we convert 100% to EV’s that puts the total Kwh needed at 11.46 Trillion. Currently renewables could only meet 7% of the demand needed. 

20973EC4-F8FB-44C0-A760-1DFEED6120D4.jpeg

If I adjust to assume EV’s are 3X more efficient per KWH then the math changes to a combined total of 6.54 trillion kwh’s needed. That puts renewables meeting 12.5%, but it also would eliminate 2.8 Billion barrels of oil from the overall demand. 

again these numbers don’t account for certain variables, and doesn’t paint the overall picture of CO2 emissions as we still have to calculate battery manufacturing, charging station infrastructure, grid infrastructure, ect…

So considering costs, CO2, function, national security, and economic security, is the juice worth the squeeze? 

Aside from those considerations, I personally want more conclusive evidence on human activities contribution to climate change. Some call that being a climate denier, I call it truth seeking. 

• Like 1

Interesting thread here...I think there's definitely something to a natural eb & flow of climate on our planet. We've only got a tiny amount of data to construct climate models on from how old the planet is. We're in a warming period right now and how much is that just part of a natural rhythm and how much is that man-made.  I do agree there's a use case for diesel, EVs etc. Just like everything technology has to advance but it has to be a measured approach. 

• Like 2