• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Consensus-Greasing Wheel Bearings (ABS Port)

• Staff

Interesting, I don't see why it wouldn't work... but I don't see the issue with grease either. I don't buy the grease turning to liquid under normal circumstances, that's simply not true. I have seen grease separate when it's old and of poor quality, but that's not what they are talking about. 

The grease I run has a dropping point, when it would turn to liquid, of > 540°F. That's not happening on a normal bearing. 

I did hear back, and no graphite in that grease or any of the greases that Amsoil makes. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 2

• Owner

Not so much what the grease is made from but how the metals of the bearing load the grease over time. Its a hall effect sensor on the ABS and if the sensor can't detect the teeth because of other metals (wear metals) filling the gaps of the tone wheel teeth in the grease then the ABS light will be set.

Yeah I would prefer to have the old school cone and race that you can hand pack the bearings. I'm not going to do the expensive hub change over to get it as well as having manual hubs to shift in all the time. 

Again majority of the bearing failure is oversized tires and heavy offset wheel that add leverage forces and wear the bearings out quicker. I've got a conversation with another gent on TikTok about the failure that came in his shop which again had the heavy offset wheels and wide tires. Premature bearing failure will occur. 

As for me I go 180k to 200k on front unit bearings since I've never oversized, but undersized my tires. Never have to grease the bearings or worry about it.

• Staff
18 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Not what I'm saying grease is only the carrier for the wear metals. I termed it graphite but that what it looks like after the bearing has worn down some and has that grey metal with small fine dust of metals in it. Regardless of what grease the wear metals will be in the grease later. 

Yes, as there is nowhere else for the wear metals to go. 

More grease means less metals by volume, and more grease means less wear. It’s really a good thing all around to have a little more grease in there. 

Greased the front left bearing tonight while replacing the abs sensor, took it out for a spin, bearing immediately exploded. Sent me and the truck through a nativity scene in my neighbor’s yard. Nah, it was easy and went well. Got about 10 pumps in before I felt a little more resistance and stopped. Napa bearings with 40K. I’m going to do the other side tomorrow with a tablespoon of gear oil and see which one goes further. 40 mile trip at 70mph, no abs light. 

• Haha 4