• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Banks high flow intake elbow and OEM grid heater replacement

Me78569

I was able to test the intake heater down to about 0*f today.  Truck is noticeably harder to start now, but not hard to start if that makes sense. 

Here is a picture of the OEM grids with 60k. 

IMG_20221205_181228.jpg

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 2

That's some serious soot build up. V interested in this thread. Banks gets mixed reviews and there are haters out there but I can't deny I like his data-driven approach and testing that goes into his products. As an engineer I can appreciate this. Some of their catalog is heavy on the bling but between this product and the rear diff covers are very intriguing. 

My main complaints are

1. the grid heater element is prob less than 1/2 the heat output compared to stock

2. the alignment of the egr cross over pipe to the EGR valve is not perfect, I did have to clamp it with the vband to get it to line up.  it is extremely minor, but still bothers me. 

3. the eg cross over cover is not able to be put back into place.  Again minor, not that I care about the plastic cover but yea.

4. the fit and finish of some of the tapped holes was not great.   

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 2

This morning the thermometer is reading -20*f.  Truck fully cold sitting outside started without much hassle.  Idle was a little rough for ~60 seconds then smoothed out.   I feel better about the intake heater.   

• Like 3

• Staff
17 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Wow. I figured a new 4th gen would do better for starting. 

Even Thor (2006) starts really good with one cycle of the grid heaters. Then Beast (2002) starts good all the way to -40*F with two grid heater cycles. No rough running. 

A cold "rough" 6.7 is still smoother than a warm and smooth 5.9... it's all relative, I know what @Me78569 meant by a little rough :whistle2:

Cold soaked in -5° and I bypass the WTS light on my 6.7. You can tell it's cold, but it fires right up. 

• Owner

There is only a few 4th Gens up here the few I've been around, seem to start fairly easy. Now I need to say I know of summer time but not had one to play with yet for winter time. I just figured with the larger grid heater it would be able to start better. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff
14 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

There is only a few 4th Gens up here the few I've been around, seem to start fairly easy. Now I need to say I know of summer time but not had one to play with yet for winter time. I just figured with the larger grid heater it would be able to start better. 

He went to a much smaller grid heater....

I wanted a replacement for the OEM bolt possibly coming off in the intake, without deleting anything so my choice was the smaller Ford / GM AIH coil element.   

When I say the truck started a little rough it was still WAY better starting than my old 5.9, it was just rougher than with the oem  grid setup.  

• Like 1

It's a disappointing thing that the soot buildup is a seemingly necessary evil for reduced NOx emissions. My 2005 TDI gets it bad around the EGR valve. Glad I don't own a DPF anymore - the regens on my '18 Ecodiesel drove me to sell it after only about 4 months.

Edited by LorenS
Fix typo.