• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Which Holset Turbo?

I might have made a mistake in my build purchase. First and foremost, I've got to deal with CA smog checks. It was mentioned to me that techs were now looking for Holset being listed on turbos. I know this is dependent on individual techs and most would not even bother. I'm pretty sure the place I go, this wouldn't be an issue. But you never can tell when this would change. I really gave a hard look at this "Super 9" a local company builds . I'm second guessing my decision not to go with this. I don't really care about HP numbers. I care about towing a 10k lb travel trailer through mountain passes. I have a mildly built auto, 3.55's running 265/70/17 Michelin's. I'll likely never use tunes that max out performance. Well, not more than just to see what it could do. This is being built as a work horse, not a quarter horse.

My question is which Holset turbo would serve me best for towing and passing the CA throttle snap test?

Stuff I've already purchased from DAP

HX35 62/64/12  

100 Hp Injectors

Quadzilla Adrenaline

1 piece Exhaust Manifold

Head Studs

a bunch of supporting accessories.

I don't know if DAP will take back the HX35. I can try and sell it if they won't. I'm most concerned with building my truck so everything works cleanly and seamlessly together.

Kind regards

Dennis

• Like 1

Does that HX say "Holset" on it? If so, and its a -35, you're good to go. I just passed CA smog a few weeks ago with a Hx 35/40, 100hp DAP injectors and Edge EZ. I have a Quad ADR mounted  under the dash (extended wiring harness) and assume with the emissions tune purchased here I'll pass with that set up next time also. 

57 65 12 Screaming Eagle is what Im running and thrilled to be running it. It spools faster and cools down faster. Zero smoke running DAP flow matched 50hp injectors. Are you saying if it doesn't have holset on it they wont pass it? No doubt the borgwarner is better than the hx35 in spool and keeping it cooler and cool down time.

Correct, the smog tech's at the shop I go to said if it came with a Holset, then it has to have a Holset on it at the time of smog or a turbo that has a CARB EO sticker showing that this replacement, non Holset turbo is CA legal. This is why I built my HX hybrid, bigger turbine/compressor wheels so a bit more performance but still looks stock. DAP should have some upgraded Holsets. 

I've seen it stated that the "Adrenaline was made for the 150hp 7x.010 injectors" If this 62/64/12 turbo is a little on the large size for this setup, would these larger injectors help it be a better, more compatible and clean running upgrade? Or should I pursue finding unmodified HX35? I hate that I might not have thought this purchase through. I know the Quad can help clean it up. I rather make changes now, rather than put it together and be disappointed. My truck is mostly just used for towing and I'm OK with not racing from stop light to stop light. But I don't want a smokey slug driving around town either. I love what the smarty offered as far as drive-ability in town. Level 3 or 5 most of the time. I'd like to be at least the same as that. Will I be close to what I'm looking for without making changes?

11 hours ago, 5akman said:

Does that HX say "Holset" on it? If so, and its a -35, you're good to go. I just passed CA smog a few weeks ago with a Hx 35/40, 100hp DAP injectors and Edge EZ. I have a Quad ADR mounted  under the dash (extended wiring harness) and assume with the emissions tune purchased here I'll pass with that set up next time also. 

I assume it will say Holset on the side. I made it clear that's what I wanted. I won't see it until next weekend. I'll have to do my test next summer. I absolutely don't want to go too far and create problems. But I do want to go as far as I can.

not that the adrenaline was made for 150's but rather I think the 2nd gen cummins should have shipped from the factory with 150's and a proper tune.  There is nothing wrong with 100's and 100's will run cleaner with less work on the tune, but 150s are, again in my opinion, the sweet spot for a 2nd gen.  

I would still prefer the stock hx35 to a 62 modded hx35 with your overall goals, but again I think the 62 will also meet your goals.  

There really isn't a right answer here, rather preference.  I might talk to @dieselautopower about the modded 62 vs the stock hx.  there may have been a misunderstanding.   DAP has a lot of experience with different setups and I trust them to not mislead you.

I agree with the above comments. Contact DAP and they'll steer your right.  I will add that make sure you keep your 47re as part of the total equation. Not sure I've seen what's been done with your trans but I'd say stay more on the conservative side with power generation to keep it in check. 

9 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm running +150 HP injectors with HX35W turbo. No EGT's issues and great MPG. Turbo isn't needed really. The only thing I did to reduce EGT's was to drop to 245/75 R16 tire which changes the final ratio to 3.69. I can pull my 8,000 pound RV all the way to Cally to 7,500 feet with no issues. 

So you originally had a HX 35/40 didn't you ? The bearings went out or something if I remember correctly. I would think you'd notice a big difference going back to the stock sized HX, is that not the case? 

• 4 weeks later...

I got the stock HX35 and new one piece blade runner manifold installed. Everything seems to be working properly. I left the silencer ring in for now. Boy what a different sound inside the cab. Not more quiet, just different. I put on an adjustable boost elbow, closed for now. Will the quad and 100 hp injectors get me to the point where I'll need the waste gate to open? Perhaps I'll need to just wait and see. I have no clue on what kind of boost to expect. 

Edited by 1361

• Owner
On 12/14/2022 at 8:44 PM, 5akman said:

So you originally had a HX 35/40 didn't you ? The bearings went out or something if I remember correctly. I would think you'd notice a big difference going back to the stock sized HX, is that not the case? 

No change between the HX35W (54/60/12) vs the HX35/40 Hybrid (60/60/12). Spool is better on the HX35W and with proper tuning I'm running near zero boost at highway speeds.

Watch my Tiktok...

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...