• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Last minute prep for first measurable snowfall

Doubletrouble

• Staff

There is a multi vehicle multi-accident pile up on the ohio turnpike near Sandusky, Ohio. I've heard it spans nearly 6 miles. Turnpike is shut in both directions.

Screenshot_20221223_143244_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20221223_143249_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20221223_143256_Facebook.jpg

These were sent to me by a friend,  he got them from Twitter. 

He has heard that there could be as many as 100 vehicles involved.

We shall see, I know how things get exaggerated.  Hopefully no fatalities. 

We don’t see cold like this very often in Tennessee, here are my anecdotal observations so far. 1.) I’m going to switch to synthetic PS fluid. My pump and fluid are 6 months old, but had a hard time this morning. I added a bottle of LubeGard, we’ll see tomorrow morning how it does. 2.) I can’t get my trans temp over 100* 3.) Sta-Bil works! I realized this morning the 100% gasoline in my generator is 4 1/2 years old. I treated it with Sta-Bil 4 1/2 years ago. Sucker fired right up and ran like a sewing machine for 30 mins before I cut it off. 

• Like 3

Luckily I haven’t had to use mine yet. The TVA sent a message out that they’d be doing rolling blackouts (first time I’ve ever seen them do this), but it looks like they cancelled that move a few hours later. It got down to 3* here this morning. We hit single digits about once a year, but what’s unique about this cold front is those single digit temps are happening 3-4 days in a row. We’re not used to that kinda cold here. 

• Staff

I'm also glad you made it back home Nick.

Driving conditions here are treacherous with a coating of frozen rain consistently covering everything. Hard to avoid falling going for firewood. No one is driving for the most part, very quiet off in the distance about 1.5 miles away is what we hear usually but, now there is not a sound.

I hope Michael Nelson is hold up in a hotel safe and sound as he heads toward Seattle.

At 5 this morning the temps have gone from 22* f to 32* in 12 hours, is starting to thaw thankfully. Our first time using Oak firewood sure is amazing as our home is staying a nice even temperature with the ability to turn down the burn rate and no creosote build up. Each load is only one or two small logs going for at least 6-8 hours. It is wonderful firewood. I'm very thankful for this lucky find.

Merry Christmas everyone

Edited by JAG1

Quick question: I’ve had this issue once before last year and chalked it up to a fluke, but it’s happened the past 2 days. On cold start in sub 5* temps the starter free spins, it stops, then I try again and it engages and fires right up. Starter is strong, batteries are new and charged and good (tested). The first day of extreme cold (by Tennessee standards) I had plugged the block heater in and the starter worked as usual. Any ideas how to resolve this? Only happens after sitting in single digit temps over night with no block heater. 

34 minutes ago, Andyba20 said:

s the bendix something I can grease?

Not really.  Part of the "Bendix" incorporates a one-way clutch right next the to the drive gear teeth.  It is likely the teeth of the starter drive gear engage the flywheel, but due to the extreme cold, the clutch slips resulting in no movement of the flywheel and lots of movement of the starter motor.  The resulting friction quickly warms the slipping clutch, which then allows it to work properly the next time you engage the starter switch.

You can rebuild some parts of the starter or have a shop rebuild the starter.  Just don't replace the starter with another brand if it is still the OEM starter (a Denso).  They are quality starters.

- John

• Thanks 1

• Owner

Sad just a few days ago my power went out in the house and the heater heads where still fired up. Go down to find the Inverter shut down to a over current condition. Tried resting the inverter and trips instantly. I transfer back to city power and everything was working again. Few day later I found my issue is my step up transformer to create the 220V from the 110V inverter had burned up and shorted out. Now I'm hunting for a auto transformer to handle 30A to 35A service. 

As for my weather it warmed up the last few days and rained and rained. I've gotten over 3.00 inches of rain in the last 48 hours. Ugh... Please just go back to snow again I hate being soaked and laying in the mud.

• Like 1