• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New VP44 No Start! Codes P0382 , P1689

1 hour ago, Great work! said:

That #8 is not making sense I don't have my diagrams with me, but if that black wire is the shield for the twisted pair CAN bus the shield is only connected at one end of the bus not both ends. I can't remember which end.

Here are the instructions for #8

8. Ensure ignition is off and FPCM harness connector and ECM harness connector are still disconnected. Using DVOM, measure resistance between ground and terminal No. 1 (Black wire) on FPCM harness connector. If resistance is 5 ohms or greater, replace and program ECM. See appropriate REMOVAL, OVERHAUL & INSTALLATION article. If resistance is less than 5 ohms, repair short to ground in Black wire between FPCM and ECM.

I am getting an open loop. So that is greater than 5ohms. Please correct me if I am wrong or there is something else I need to check. 

Edited by cumminsman87

1 hour ago, Great work! said:

Ok I  get it now. If it is grounded that needs fixed. If it's open that means the wiring is okay ie not rubbed through somewhere.  So they just assume the ECM is bad by a process of elimination.  Beware you could dump some cash and still not be fixed.

OK.  That is what I thought too. Just wanted to make sure I am on the right track.