• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

W-T Mod Early 1998.5 Need Assistance

I’m finally getting around to replacing all the battery cables and doing the WT mod. I have a very early 1998.5 24V, and all of the other posts and pictures about the WT mod seem to be on later second gens.

I have pictures attached with markups. Can someone please confirm I’m on the right path.
Thank you!!!

70140A66-7BE5-442D-AB9D-1DC2310C9C4E.jpeg

B3C5DE10-5995-42A2-B686-76CDFDBB4FC6.jpeg

68B25623-D00C-46FA-BA65-5D4753EA4263.jpeg

612C690B-9E8D-470B-8EA8-0810B4F670DC.jpeg

• Staff

I wouldn't do anything until more say what they have to say. I am not sure about any of what your doing because your factory set up is different than both my second gens of which I did the W-T wire harness mods myself.

Let me ask.. have you tested the level of AC ripple/ noise before starting this task? Your factory set up looks better than both my trucks (01 and 02) that had important connections made with some sort of glue instead of  actual solder.

What level of AC noise are you currently getting?

• Staff
  1.  leave that ground attached to the head.  You may want to clean the connection there.
  2.  Reattach all the connections to the back of the alternator, one cable is for the ground and the other cable is the B+ charge which will be routed to the positive terminal on the right (passenger) side battery.  The other two wires are for voltage control from the PCM.  The blue wire is where you can install a (5-7.5 amp) fuse for PCM protection.
  3. It's not that much work to open that wire harness to expose everything.  If you disconnect the alternator charge wire at the PDC you will then have its full length to work with when routing it to the right-side battery via a fuse or circuit breaker. 
  4. When you open the wire harness up you will see where the ground wires are all joined this where you want to make your cut so that you have enough wire to work with and have a clean looking job.

• Staff
3 hours ago, Njbenz said:

Level of AC noise was about 0.045V to 0.048V

The same ground connections are glued together (see the 4th pic)

I am sorry your right. I need to stay out of these threads if I don't take time to look first. :nadkick:

2 hours ago, IBMobile said:
  1.  leave that ground attached to the head.  You may want to clean the connection there.
  2.  Reattach all the connections to the back of the alternator, one cable is for the ground and the other cable is the B+ charge which will be routed to the positive terminal on the right (passenger) side battery.  The other two wires are for voltage control from the PCM.  The blue wire is where you can install a (5-7.5 amp) fuse for PCM protection.
  3. It's not that much work to open that wire harness to expose everything.  If you disconnect the alternator charge wire at the PDC you will then have its full length to work with when routing it to the right-side battery via a fuse or circuit breaker. 
  4. When you open the wire harness up you will see where the ground wires are all joined this where you want to make your cut so that you have enough wire to work with and have a clean looking job.

The remainder of the charge wire is used for a ground to the left battery coming from the new bolt and new ring terminal at the back of the gear case.

Edited by JAG1