• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tried a set of LED headlights

• Staff

As the title states, I tried some LED headlights. I did a little research on what kind of LED will work in a housing designed for halogen bulbs. Long story short these are the type of bulb to use.

20230107_183302.jpg

According to what I read and the videos I watched the placement of the LED chips is important. I bought these bulbs off of Amazon for $39/pair. They're plug and play. Simple as changing a headlight bulb.lol

So far I am happy with the results. I only had the opportunity to drive the truck to work at 3am to test. I believe I need to adjust them down. I didn't get flashed but there were only a few other cars on the road. Pic is a bit fuzzy but you can see how bright they are.

20230109_034007.jpg

I also tried the high beams and they were definitely aimed to high. I will play with the adjustment when I get a chance. 

I am happy with the amount of light they put out, way more than the plain Jane 9004's that were in there. Also gives it a bit more modern look as well. For $39 I feel I got my money's worth.

If anyone is interested in the bulbs or the videos I watched to lead me to this purchase I will post links soon.

• Like 2

• Owner

Minnie (1999 Dodge Grand Caravan) I did a fresh set of headlight cases and installed a set of $70 Amazon LEDs. I went with mid-line bulbs. After replacing the headlight case where the lens were fogged over. Now the LEDs are very close to my HIDs but do have a hot spot vs HIDs are very clean light. Total was about $180. Took less than 30 minutes to change it all out. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Link to bulbs on Amazon.

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/eSJr7o9DHLbf

https://www.nilight.com/products/nilight-9004-hb1-led-headlight-bulbs-70w-14000lm-9004-hi-lo-beam-led-headlight-bulb-6500k-9004-led-bulb-cool-white-ip67

I don't think the first attempt worked. This one is from the company's site. If you scroll down there is also a video.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I tried a pair that were supposed to be a replacement for the original bulb number

bright...... oh yes I just couldn't get them down low enough I was shining onto the underside of aircraft they were that high, took them out and went back to the standards but they are candles, really need to sort something out

• Staff
12 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Like the set I got for Minnie I had to install the adapter into the headlight case first making sure it was index properly. Then the bulbs were indexed for for the adapters and only would sit in one position no way to partial turn them or misaligned them. 

That's the way mine installed as well. Even showed why in the video I think. The led chips need to be in a certain orientation to obtain the proper light dispersion to the reflector. 

So far I am happy with mine. They're bright, probably at least 3 times brighter than the plain halogens I had in there. I have not had any oncoming drivers flash me yet. 

On high beam they seem a bit to high, might try to adjust then down just a touch to see how it affects both high and low.

• Like 2

• Owner

Next above that is Morimoto HID headlights which is more light than LEDs. Still HIDs are the best. LEDs are better but rely on quality reflector to make a descent beam path. Sport headlights were poor quality that I had. Then relaying the bulbs just really didn't improve. Morimoto HIDs can cover 50 foot tree at a 1/4 mile. 50 foot over either side of the road.

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

relaying the bulbs just really didn't improve

I converted my truck a few years back to the Sport quad bulb setup w/relays. With 50% more bulbs than the stock lights it surely made a difference. However, i just picked up some Fahren LEDs to see if this helps even more. I may be falling victim to some LED marketing here but LEDs weren't that expensive and I'm surely swapping out halogen bulbs way too frequently.