• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Brake and ABS lights came on

My e-brake light and abs light came on my dash , the first time they came on after a few miles they turned off, second time they came on they turned off after a few miles again then the third time they came on they stayed . the truck is a 1999 auto 4wd , I'm getting ready to go hit up the test and tune at the trac and I would like to make sure my brakes are good. The brake fluid reservoir is full and I haven't added any . 

Any recommendations on where to start ?

• Owner

Does the speedometer show correctly from dead stop to highway speed? if it does then its one of the front axle sensor. It very possible for a tone ring to break off in the unit bearings which I had a passenger side bearing fail that way. Once replace it should reset in just a few hundred feet of driving if not then then there is other issues.

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Does the speedometer show correctly from dead stop to highway speed? if it does then its one of the front axle sensor. It very possible for a tone ring to break off in the unit bearings which I had a passenger side bearing fail that way. Once replace it should reset in just a few hundred feet of driving if not then then there is other issues.

the speedometer does work correctly , I'll find the axle sensors and replace them .

Thanks , 

23 hours ago, Andyba20 said:

Check ABS sensor wires, does your 99’ have front ABS? Likely the speed sensor at the rear diff, but look for cuts/nic in the wiring from the sensor to the abs module. 

I will  check it out thanks ,

On 1/16/2023 at 11:39 AM, hdpwipmonkey said:

I had a cable wear through back near the rear axle.  Might be worth tracing the cables to make sure they are intact.  Mine acted the same way, intermittent then it stayed on.  

thanks for the info 

• Owner
54 minutes ago, ruben121 said:

the speedometer does work correctly , I'll find the axle sensors and replace them .

Be aware if you replace both front sensors and still have the ABS / BRAKE lights yet then your going to replace both front wheel bearings. Sadly they will come with fresh sensors too. Again the tone wheel inside the bearing can break internally and cause issues. Another I've seen is old grease with graphite (metal dust) in the tone wheel will alter the reading make sure there is no grease in the tone wheel teeth it will affect the reading of speed. 

• Staff

Have you changed tires for track day? Mine tripped the lights because the wheel rpm did not match the tire size entered into the ecm. It was out of range for that tire size and set the lights. Once a buddy hooked his scanner to it we found the axle ratio was entered wrong, tire size was wrong as well. Once entered correctly all has been well for 2 years now.

Long story short, if you changed tire size to much for track day it may throw the lights on.

Hmm , I bought the hypertech speedometer calibrator I hooked it up , changed my tires to 31.5 long time ago but the dang thing quit working on the middle of the download . I never called them to try to get it figured out . But I ran like 3k miles since then and the lights just tuned on . I haven’t changed tires for street and track . I haven’t bought track tires and wheels yet . I’ll check wheel bearings and sensors when I get a chance . At least you guys have gave me starting points to check . I didn’t know where to even start . 

thanks everybody , I’ll keep y’all updated.