• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Best radiator replacement

I, too, purchased a radiator from Napa - $220.00 at the time.   Almost four years and over 60,000 miles and still serving me well.

Original radiator lasted for 308,000 miles.  One of the side tank seals started a slow leak.

- John

Edited by Tractorman
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

Not sure what that is in USD but seems like the duty and other fees add up for you fast.

Not far off parity when I had to buy it, might have been  $1.10 but can't remember for sure, figure around $400 ish all in

My first American car.... 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner with a 440 it was over $1.80  to the quid (pound to you guys) so parts were close to the dollar cost so $100 part might have been £100 here with  shipping, duty and vat

It really does bug me that our government gets ££ out of me for sweet FA and it will only get worse due to the climate nutters pushing for net zero and the easiest way to force people is to tax vehicles off the road.

Sorry for the hijack.... the rockauto rad is ok and as a side note I recently ordered a right hand track rod end ( the really long one) as it was noted at MOT inspection and also a MAP sensor as it was randomly messing around, all from Rockauto, it arrived in a long right side track rod end sized box  maybe 4ft long BUT the track rod had punched one end out of the box and there was no sensor in the box as it had fell out somewhere, I sent R/A a message and fair play they sent a replacement out the very same day.... no questions... but the delivery guy did take a picture of the ripped box and he did log it as not arrived, I fully understand that #### happens...... but when it does that's the service I want

• Like 2

• Owner

Radiators ain't exactly rocket science.

The only thing about OE radiators is you'll find that most are plastic header tanks and rubber gaskets. Will it leak? Eventually, it will. As for a fully full aluminum radiators will leak just the same in time. Your not going to get more cooling from a high price radiator vs chain store radiator. The physical area of the radiator is rather fixed you might get a extra row of core tubes at the most. Either way the factory radiator works very well for years most don't have heat issues unless really bad final ratio with hot injectors. That's not a radiator problem it more about a poorly set up truck. 

Another tidbit if you read up on thermal efficiency you'll find that running a hotter thermostat will reduce the amount of energy wasted into to the cooling jacket. Why? Because heat is attracted to cold and the greater the offset of temperature between the cylinder and the coolant more energy will be wasted into to the cooling jacket. This is why I typically just use the 190*F thermostat vs a 180*F thermostat which I did study on my long hauls that the 190*F gave better MPG's. Crazier yet grab a 200*F thermostat from a 4th Gen and run that. It will improve that just a little bit more. 

Yeah I'm rambling again... :duh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1