• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rocker Arm Inspection

You do know that valve seats are replaceable..........Why buy another head, just rebuild the one you already have, you could go through a dozen used heads before finding one with no issues.

Yes, I just need to check to see what the diff. would be. How much in material labor you think for 9 seats?

Ok, well we have 9 cracked exhaust seats two are all the way to the injector ports and two cracked intake seats. I dont think its worth fixin. LOLOh and the name of the guy who sold me this fine running head that he claims ran great when he pulled the motor due to tranny failing. Adam Medows aka Hillbilly0505 hangs out on the Cummins Fourm. Thanks Adam I hope you didnt do anybody else any favors with that fine running truck of yours.

Ok, well we have 9 cracked exhaust seats two are all the way to the injector ports and two cracked intake seats.

Yeah I had a number of my valves burnt/cracked ....... cant remember how many they replaced but with the new valves and machine work and then taking the head off and on was close to $1k. So if the machine shop has a good one for you - for same price - then your good to go. No idea if the guy would take the head back or refund you some $$ if you sent the pics/analysis. Reach out to him you never know - am sure it will end up biting you regardless - sorry man. :stuned:

Yea, I got the sorry for the bad LUCK but I cant refund half your money back as it ran just fine before he pulled the eng. Well I have news for you my truck has the same problem and it runs like crap surge, missing, compression in fuel return.I only asked for half back due to I am able to us some of the rockers. I will never buy off the computer again. I have to blame my self the guy only had 35 post no one knew who he was.

Yea, I got the sorry for the bad LUCK but I cant refund half your money back as it ran just fine before he pulled the eng.

sucks ... yeah ...... well find out what he's buying for his truck - and I'll go pull one of a wreck and tell him it was working fine and sell it to him cheap. Then Ill ship you the $$ and when he gets a useless turbo or vp44 I'll just say it was working fine before I took it off the truck :) *semi-joke*So you gonna get that head from the machine shop ?

Man I feel bad for you... Here is what you need to get, now I know you don't want to but don't you think that proper diagnosis might be smarter than guessing? Lot of different options as far the adapters go...... Snap on makes one, you can find it on their website. It works for all 24 valve 5.9s from 98 - 07. Then there is one made by miller which is another good one, it is a little heavier and better quality than the snap on. It is Miller Tool Number 9007. Costs about $150 dollars and uses a very standard quick coupler fitting commonly used on air compressors and stuff same as the snap on adapter. The gauge, you can go with whatever floats your boat. Needs to read up to 600 psi though. I got a snap on mt-33b set. $200 or so. Had it since I was 16 years old.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

sucks ... yeah ...... well find out what he's buying for his truck - and I'll go pull one of a wreck and tell him it was working fine and sell it to him cheap. Then Ill ship you the $$ and when he gets a useless turbo or vp44 I'll just say it was working fine before I took it off the truck :) *semi-joke*So you gonna get that head from the machine shop ?

Yea, Its been reworked and ready to go. Should pick up tomorrow.

--- Update to the previous post...

Man I feel bad for you... Here is what you need to get, now I know you don't want to but don't you think that proper diagnosis might be smarter than guessing? Lot of different options as far the adapters go...... Snap on makes one, you can find it on their website. It works for all 24 valve 5.9s from 98 - 07. Then there is one made by miller which is another good one, it is a little heavier and better quality than the snap on. It is Miller Tool Number 9007. Costs about $150 dollars and uses a very standard quick coupler fitting commonly used on air compressors and stuff same as the snap on adapter. The gauge, you can go with whatever floats your boat. Needs to read up to 600 psi though. I got a snap on mt-33b set. $200 or so. Had it since I was 16 years old.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Smokey I know you what me to run compression test but I think the compression in the fuel tank tells the story. There is so much compression it will push fuel out the axu. fuel line on top of tank. Had to drill hole on side of fuel cap to let air out so it would quit pushing fuel out.lol

Thanks

Check your injector coppers if you are getting pressure in your tank. Have you verified this with a clear plastic hose over your return line? Undo the t- compression block and slide a piece of rubber hose over the line coming off the back of the head and check to see if the return fuel coming out has bubbles and stick your thumb over the end and feel it if you aren't seeing a lot of return fuel. 9/10 when we see this it is from people doing a poor install of their injectors. Get going to fast, inexperience it can happen. Almost every time they will argue with us after we remove the injectors then reinstall and it alleviates the problem. One truck we had come in had a surge kinda like yours. After diagnosis we found out that it was an improperly installed injector into a dirty bore, so the copper wouldn't seal. If you got time, go remove your injectors and reinstall before you blow another 500 or so on a random part. I'm just trying to help.

As far as heads go.My old head had 11 cracks around one exhaust alone!!Plus maybe 15 more on the rest of the head.It ran fine and diddnt leak.I ran that head for years.However when i wanted to take my head to the next level i diddnt fix it i junked it.Now i have a brand new one that was worked over. I came across another head and sent it out to get checked for cracks and pressure tested.This head has about 4 small cracks.Thats no big deal.It is a good head. With pressed in seats you can have a good head.The shop can peen them over to help hold them in.The head i am running now has pressed in seats.I have had this engine to 4000 rpm and they diddnt drop yet. I sure hope the shop you go with works on diesels a bunch.Greg is just up the road from you He did my head work.I trust him 100% he can check it for cracks and pressure test it. Who ever you go with good luck on this project.I really think you will not find any head without some cracks.Cummins hardened the seats and thats the problem you cant get away from it.The best luck you could have is finding one that never had any programmer on it.Heat kills seats along with rpm.

9/10 when we see this it is from people doing a poor install of their injectors.

I *think* he has replaced the injectors and had the same issue before and after. Guessing unlikley that they were installed wrong both times :shrug: Smokey - can you do a writeup on doing a compression test sometime ??? Never done it. How to make sure done proerply on the cummins. Then if you do it I vote for a *sticky* under the technical section .....:thumbup2: I'd like to do it one day. For giggles.

If you do the write up I'd post it up instantly... :thumbup2::woot:

Ok I am doing SWATPARAMEDIC'S truck on sunday probably, I will get some pictures of the process for y'all. And if anybody wants to borrow it, I would loan it out to anybody if you have a good reputation and are not going to forget to mail it back hahaha.
  • Like 1

Ok I am doing SWATPARAMEDIC'S truck on sunday probably, I will get some pictures of the process for y'all. And if anybody wants to borrow it, I would loan it out to anybody if you have a good reputation and are not going to forget to mail it back hahaha.

Ha - thats rulz out just about 70% of this forum !!! *joke* Nice gesture man. :thumbup2:

and my truck the week after :pray: