• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rocker Arm Inspection

I pulled all rockers off replacement head for my truck and what I noticed was every rocker had scratch marks in the bottom of each rocker and the rocker shaft, Is this normal? I dont like what I am seeing but there is no slack in them that I can feel, I will mic each one tomorrow. Can anyone give me the wear tolarance for this inspection? I did a search and not getting the right info. There is no sluge in head it looks good as far as that go's. I just cant belive the rockers would all have scratch marks like that. Oh and cylinder one and cylinder three had green dots far something I dont know what, cylinder one with one mark and cylinder three with two dots. Also stock thermostat was still in this 98 modle head, 8/98 was stamped on stat.

What do you think? Head has been off four 4 days, I guess thats where the rust came from. Why is there oil and grim in the intake, valvues not seating? I plan on taking it to machine shop and see what they say. I am not sure about the rockers and shaft, the one your looking at is the worst one.Thanks

post-30-13869817115_thumb.jpg

post-30-138698171156_thumb.jpg

post-30-138698171164_thumb.jpg

post-30-138698171171_thumb.jpg

post-30-138698171178_thumb.jpg

post-30-138698171184_thumb.jpg

post-30-138698171192_thumb.jpg

post-30-138698171198_thumb.jpg

post-30-138698171204_thumb.jpg

post-30-138698171211_thumb.jpg

• Owner

This pic bugs me...

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1910&d=1287365374

But this is normal here...

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1905&d=1287365110

There is somewhere there was moisture getting to those back cylinders... I never seen a head rust up in 4 days...

Time to be magifluxed and see where the crack is at... I bet money around these cylinders...

--- Update to the previous post...

Now that I looked and looked again at your pics... I'm going to say you got a coolant leak in the manifold area (crack) that is feeding the coolant to the 3 cylinders causing the rust. But I'm going to also say you got a crack somewhere in the head that is feeding compression to the return fuel rail...

I really do think you getting close to a end on this adventure...:stuned:

All I need is the head, this is the replacement head for my truck. Mine is still running for now. The eng. I got this head from was a 53 block that had burned up the auto tranny. I really dont like the grim in the head.

oh i thought this was the head off your motor. No tellin whether or not this head is junk or not, yours might not have anything wrong with it either or it might.

Just my luck 9 cracked valve seats. Found another head thru the machine shop 1000

jesus. 9?? i am lost here, why don't you just remove your engine's cylinder head and have it checked? Why did you buy that head when it looked the way it did with all that oil in the intake and rust on it? You appear to be willing to spend money on guessing hoping that it will fix your problem, but you can't spend 2 or 300 bucks on the compression test equipment? I have the guages and all the crap to do a comp test and leak down test with if you are that pressed for cash i would be glad to loan it out, but by the time you pay for shipping to you and back to me you could buy your own!!!! :spend::spend::spend::spend::spend::spend:

jesus. 9?? i am lost here, why don't you just remove your engine's cylinder head and have it checked? Why did you buy that head when it looked the way it did with all that oil in the intake and rust on it? You appear to be willing to spend money on guessing hoping that it will fix your problem, but you can't spend 2 or 300 bucks on the compression test equipment? I have the guages and all the crap to do a comp test and leak down test with if you are that pressed for cash i would be glad to loan it out, but by the time you pay for shipping to you and back to me you could buy your own!!!! :spend::spend::spend::spend::spend::spend:

Your right But when you run a welding buss. and the economy is the way it is and you had to sell your other truck to keep employee in a job, the only truck running is what keeps you going you tend to shoot the dice, maybe lady luck will shine this time. I never saw head, so I didnt know.