• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Grid Heater Light and Chime on 3rd Gen

• Owner

Just a heads up if you have a 3rd Gen and happen to have a weak connection or on connection on the grid heater power wire it can and will pop the grid heater light and chime as well just like a fuel rail issue. If you pop the hood and don't see any fuel leaks then proceed to get to home or safe place. Get your code reader out and check I'm going to bet there is a code for grid heater performance. Once the problem is fixed and the code cleared the light will remain off. In my case I've unhooked it back in the summer time be I was having a charge issue for the batteries and forgot it was unhooked. No hard starts. Funny part is the light tripped after 30 miles of driving and the engine was at full operation temperature which was weird it trip the grid heater. That makes me ask does the ECM command grid heat while you drive as well? 

• Staff

The truck does not use the grid heater after 2 minutes or once you hit 18 mph, whichever comes first. 

The truck also doesn't light the WTS light with a chime for a grid heater issue, it only does that for a injector flow issue. 

Grid heater issues will set the CEL, not light the WTS light. 

What was the code? P1222 and P1223 are associated with the WTS/Chime. 

Not all grid heater codes are hard codes, some are soft codes and will store but not trip the CEL (possible with a disconnected grid heater depending on where you disconnected it). 

It's likely approaching time for injectors, as nothing you described indicates the lack of connection on the grid heater was the culprit for your issue. 

Edited by AH64ID

• Staff
2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Yeah I've got to add that error codes to the list on 3rd gen since when I just looked it was missing. Strange enough my scan tool shows as a Grid Heater Performance on that code. :duh:

Haha.. it's a little off. 

P2609 INTAKE AIR HEATER SYSTEM PERFORMANCE

• Staff
43 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I just checked both my 2005 FSM and my 2006 FSM and neither book list the error code. :think:

The codes were added later with a software update/TSB. I want to say it was around 2008/2009. 

I recall everyone up in arms thinking the programming was bad, but it turned out to be pretty darn accurate and lots of folks had failing injectors and didn't know it.