• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Digital EGT results

I think you all know how I keep saying my EGT's are high at idle, never dropping down to 300, like yesterday I sat there for 15 min idling and the lowest I saw was 340. Well I got my digital EGT gauge and hooked it up and ran it and the ONLY time the other gauge was right is anytime over 400F. Below that it was way off. It is 73F outside and I got the EGT up to 700F taking off then got to a 1/4 mile downhill and at the bottom I had just got into the high 100's. My other gauge is disconnected and says 200 with no power or anything.. Now when I idle, it is just slightly slower rate than a 24V. I flew into the driveway and went the 100ft up it going about 10mph then parked it and it was already at 340F. In less than a minute it was down to 300F.I had found the CFM of a stock 12V and stock 24V head and they weren't that much different so I never could figure out the idle EGT thing, so now it makes sense that the temp drop rate is only a little lower than a 24V, rather than the crap I was seeing before. So if anyone wants my autometer gauge that doesn't work worth anything down low let me know. I am keeping the probe though lol.

Well I am getting the same results past 400 pretty much, but under 400 it just kinda stopped dropping and when I compare now, the autometer was 50-100F hotter when under that 400, it seemed the colder it was (like when I let off in 5th down that hill and got under 200F) the farther the autometer was off (I think it would have got down to 300-350 on that same hill). Anyhow I got it remounted in an absolutely killer spot. There is just enough room between the black part and the clear gauges thing to get the wires through. You can hardly see the wires since they go straight back. I didn't have to drill out anything.

post-45-138698171223_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

That is one slick guage install... makes me envious. A few questions, please... What did you attach with? Double sticky? Did you use a mounting box or just mount the unit itself? (Why not? cheaper & less bulk)

I actually drilled 2 tiny holes into the panel right above it so I could run a zip tie around it. I have the zip part above that panel so nobody can see it. Double sticky didn't work because that panel is curved and it just doesn't work at all. There is a 3/8" gap between the panel and the instrument panel clear plastic so I didn't have to drill any holes for wiring.

OK, with magnification I can see the zip tie... still not sure how you threaded it. I'm even more fuzzy about where you ran the wires. Sure looks clean. How about a close up pict? (Sorry about being a PITA)I could see several of those up there rather than a pillar or something.

Your instrument cluster is different than my 01. For starters the guage placement is different. The seam in the plastcs is there, alright. View of my OEM instruments looks like it would be blocked more than in your pictures... I don't know if I could live with that or not. Besides the year of the truck, the height of the driver enters into it too. I think I'm going to make a cardboard mock up & just tape it in place to see what it blocks. Maybe even drive it that way & think on it.Another alturnative... because these digital guages are just 1" H X 2" W... I might consider mounting above the dash right in front on the driver. It might block my view of my hood! but little else. I anticipate needing a visor on it to block reflections on the glass. Really off the wall... I wonder if these could be inset into the edge of the dash bezel, above the instrument cluster. I haven't measured yet... It would take some fine work... but just maybe... I gotta go out to the truck with a cardboard mock up.These are so small, 2 of them could stack in the little dash pocket... I'd have to find somewhere else for my pens. LOL(Can you tell) I'm excited. This may just be the answer to where to put guages in my truck. Russsubscribed

If you really want an idea of how big it is get a pack of cigarettes and there you have it. I don't smoke but I think everyone knows how big a pack is and it is about the same size. The possibilities are endless. Once I pulled it out I was like Woah!, this changes everything! I thought it would be bigger. In direct sunlight it is definitely unreadable unless you can see the tiny variance of red. Being under the dash pretty wall solves that, though mine could use being farther back into the dash.Yeah mine being the 94-97' style does change it a bit. I don't remember what your style looked like around the dash too well.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip about brightness. I did my cardboard mock up which is why I'm excited... The other possibilities just won't work for me. For the towing I occasionally do, I feel naked without the 4 guage set with the automatic & all... I think this will work.

This has got me psyched to get all the work done & be ready to truck!

--- Update to the previous post...

I really like ISX’s neet install & would like to do so on my 01...I have NO gauges beyond OEM. The Dodge surround for the OEM instruments is a bit different... I’ve been poking & prodding... I can see semi-recessing into the top of the (Second Gen) OEM cluster bezel, so it would be above the tach & speedometer viewed from the driver’s seat.

What I want is a 4 gauge digital group... What parts would I need to order? http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5&zenid=8e1935c848838db60b048b3aad855430

My dash lights are green.

Gauge green (EGT).................. SYL-1813G................ 57.50

EGT Probe .............................. TC-KEGT-NPT.......... 36.00 (6’ cable) (Extra 13 foot cable add $13)

Gauge green (Boost) .............. SYL-1813G................. 57.50

Sensor ........to 70 psi.............. AUBER-P205 .............. 62.00 (3’ cable) (Can this cable be spliced?)

OR

Senser ....... 0 to 80 psi.... egauges Part No: 360-900 .. 35.75 (less expensive VDO Gauges)

Gauge green (Fuel Pressure) .. SYL-1813G................ 57.50

Sensor .........to 70 psi............ AUBER-P205 .............. 62.00 (3’ cable) (Can this cable be spliced?)

OR

Senser ....... 0 to 80 psi.... egauges Part No: 360-900 .. 35.75 (less expensive VDO Gauges)

Gauge green (Trans Temp) .. SYL-1813G................... 57.50

Sensor ......................... PT100A-NPT .....................26.50 (6’ cable) (13’ Extra length

cable add $9)

Extension cabling 2 conductor KX22GA ........... 1.25/ft

OR

Sensor ......e-guages Part No: 323-050, for .....................6.51 (less expensive VDO Gauges)

Gulp... that’s a lot of green... Am I figuring this right? Guess I better start saving...

NOTE Auber listed Egauges as a souorce of VDO senders: http://www.egauges.com

They say and from what I have seen with mine, it can use any sensor. BUT!, you must know what the sensor uses. Like a pyrometer is a K type (IIRC) sensor so you can look up it's coefficients. It is a highly customizable module and is not plug and play in any way shape or form (though it is set up for EGT stock so that part is plug and play). So as long as you know what type of sensor it is I believe you can use it.

• 2 weeks later...

ISX, Now that you've had it a while, how do you like the digital? I'm hoping for one under the tree! Russ

Well I haven't seen it for a month lol. But it's definitely nice. I just gotta figure out how to configure it and everything. If you need some help make sure and post or PM me or something to force me into figuring it out :lol: It was set up for the EGT out of the box so I didn't have to touch it.

If you really want an idea of how big it is get a pack of cigarettes and there you have it. I don't smoke but I think everyone knows how big a pack is and it is about the same size. The possibilities are endless. Once I pulled it out I was like Woah!, this changes everything! I thought it would be bigger. In direct sunlight it is definitely unreadable unless you can see the tiny variance of red. Being under the dash pretty wall solves that, though mine could use being farther back into the dash. Yeah mine being the 94-97' style does change it a bit. I don't remember what your style looked like around the dash too well.

CAN HAPPEN TO WONDER IF YOU CUT A PIECE of automobile window tint and put it on the screen if that wouldn't help you out.:thumbup2: