• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Parking Brake

dorkweed

Has anyone torn into these on the 3rd gens yet. Mine is shot. It goes to the floor and barely holds anymore. I've looked at the destructions for tear down and replacement........looks kinda involved, but I'd like some replies from folks that have actually done it. My regular brakes are fine, it's just the parking brake. Thanks.

• Owner

I think they are the same as the 2nd Gen for parking brakes... Did you try to re-adjust the brake? http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/e-brake/e-brake.htm Basically pull the rubber plug and spin the starwheel away from the axle. This should tighten the shoe back up. Just the tension by rolling a tire...

I think they are the same as the 2nd Gen for parking brakes... Did you try to re-adjust the brake? http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/e-brake/e-brake.htm Basically pull the rubber plug and spin the starwheel away from the axle. This should tighten the shoe back up. Just the tension by rolling a tire...

Mike, unless your 2nd gen is different from my '99, I don't see how they can be the same. My 3rd gen/04.5 has 4 wheel disc brakes. My '99 had rear drum brakes. On the 3rd gens, the parking brake is a whole separate entity in and of itself. It's got nothing to do with the calipers etc. That is if I'm reading the manual correctly. Please explain!!!:smart::thumbup2:

Mike, unless your 2nd gen is different from my '99, I don't see how they can be the same. My 3rd gen/04.5 has 4 wheel disc brakes. My '99 had rear drum brakes. On the 3rd gens, the parking brake is a whole separate entity in and of itself. It's got nothing to do with the calipers etc. That is if I'm reading the manual correctly. Please explain!!!:smart::thumbup2:

01.5 and newer have 4 wheel disc brakes :thumbup2: my 99 has drums

Yep like Mike posted, The rear park brakes are a drum brake and adjust up the same as any other drum brake. Its just that the drum happens to be way smaller and incorperated inside the wheel hub. It is possible and also likely that the cable has stretched also and that can be adjusted seperately as well but only after the shoes have been set up.

• Owner

W&F brought up the other point and he's right...

There is a slack adjustment for the cable midway down the frame but becareful of how much slack you take up out of the cable. You only want to remove enough slack to return the pedal in the full up position. Like mine it was getting stretched out and the BRAKE light would remain on.

Thanks guys!!!! Looks like a weekend project. The cables seem fine.....they ain't sagging or anything like that. Hopefully this fix will get me by for a while. It didn't help the parking brake any that when we were in North Dakota, Ken, my bud, drove about 5 miles with it still engaged before I saw the light on, and told him.

You came to my neck of the woods and didn't let me know..................Shame on you.:nono:

We stay in Medina. Where are you from there???? I'm pretty familiar with most of the towns within an hour of Medina; but, I've never heard of New Salem. Please help!!! Had I known, I would've invited you to hunt with us!!!:thumb1::thumbup2:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Owner

mine hasnt worked since i bought it. something is sized in the cable somewhere

In that case I would separate all the cable and work with each one separate and find out which one is bound up. Once you find it you might coil it up in the bottom of a bucket and cover with engine oil and see if you can free it up. (Crazy idea)

In that case I would separate all the cable and work with each one separate and find out which one is bound up. Once you find it you might coil it up in the bottom of a bucket and cover with engine oil and see if you can free it up. (Crazy idea)

that sounds like work. haha