• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Here Kitty Kitty Kitty...

JAG1

• Staff

Had an adult male Cougar out side my office window this morning around 10 am. Right next to my wood shed sniffing around. He didn't see me in the office as I watched. Luckey I came in the office with light off since He seemed to not be wary at all being so close to our house. He slowly walked around the house to the front and jumped thru a hole in the blackberries.

Now my neighbor wants to go hunting for it since he has 3 little kids. Can't blame him for that. Me... I would rather learn to be aware at all times is all and learn to live with them. Only on sleepless nights, at my age, I have to ride the bicycle to help me get to sleep. Sometimes I need to ride at 1 am to help me sleep. So that makes me kind of fearful going at night.

Any thoughts or experience from anyone is appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

Seriously, tho, do I need to carry my nine with me at all times when walking my property? It acts like it has regular routine around my house like it's his place. That is the impression I got. It even has a tunnel thru the blackberries near my house about 70 feet away. It goes down to the canyon there, where it has lots of places to hide down there. Should I hunt it down with dogs and take care of it? I'm kinda scared you know! I have to walk my wife to and from the car now. I been here 27 years and never worried a bit till now.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

Their biologist is supposed to call me back from Oregon Fish and Wildlife. May take a  few days or so to get back. I will push for your suggestion @Max Tune. Thank you.

BTW, I used to go out in the dark for firewood now I don't. Lucky the weather is not so cold and we only need one fire a day instead of two.

• Like 1

• Owner

I've got bears every year. Just had a skunk 2 nights ago. Deer up close and personal. Mountain Lions, bobcats, cougars not often but do come around. 

Make sure your trash cans are inside. Trash and food scraps attract animals if they are hungry enough they will continue to hang around.

Blackberry vines should be removed sadly you now provided a home and protection to any animal. Something I'm getting rid of on my property to not have they mess of issue. Animals always go for blackberries food source and protection.

• Thanks 1

• Staff

County biologist called and told me it is pointless to do anything about it because there are other cougars around that will just be there already. He said there are so many around my area but living hear 27 years it is only recent that I have seen the prints and actually saw one. The deer have not been around for 2 weeks or so and normally I see them come thru every couple days or so.

When the deer come back, you will know the cat has moved on.   I lived above Scotts Mills for twenty years and occasionally a cougar would be around for awhile -  most of the time unseen, just tracks and an absence of deer.  You knew the cat was gone when you saw deer munching on your favorite plants again. 

- John

• Like 2

• Staff

As soon as a cougar or any other predator becomes fearless of humans, then it's time to take action, unfortunately for the animal because they are just living/surviving on instinct to find their next meal. 

If Fish and Wildlife won't do anything to relocate the cougar, then I'd suggest that you buy a hunting license {if you don't have one), and a cougar permit so that you can humanely hunt it. I haven't tried it yet, but I know several people that have ate cougar and they all say it tastes pretty darn good. Once you harvest it, you could get a nice taxidermy mount made from it.

• Thanks 1

• Owner

Again... First, make sure you not supplying a secure environment (blackberry vines) and then a food source (trash or pet food outside). Because as long as you make it possible for something to hang around that animal or other will continue. My issue here is fruit trees (apples, pears, raspberries, blackberries) in the yard. It brings the bears every year to my yard in the fall. Being there are dogs here on the property (Loki and LaKota) the animals are not as bad but they are not going to hang around. In the fall I have to keep my trash can inside the garage because if the fruit isn't there the bear will drag off trash bags up the mountain to sort through later. 

Another example I never set traps inside my RV because any open food source will attract mice and small animals inside. I always make sure to clear out all food stuff and then fill all the gaps in the floor and wall where mice can gain access. Then if I want to trap I'll place the trap outside under the trailer and trap them before they enter. 

• Thanks 1

• Staff
On 3/30/2023 at 11:37 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Again... First, make sure you not supplying a secure environment (blackberry vines) and then a food source (trash or pet food outside). Because as long as you make it possible for something to hang around that animal or other will continue. My issue here is fruit trees (apples, pears, raspberries, blackberries) in the yard. It brings the bears every year to my yard in the fall. Being there are dogs here on the property (Loki and LaKota) the animals are not as bad but they are not going to hang around. In the fall I have to keep my trash can inside the garage because if the fruit isn't there the bear will drag off trash bags up the mountain to sort through later. 

Another example I never set traps inside my RV because any open food source will attract mice and small animals inside. I always make sure to clear out all food stuff and then fill all the gaps in the floor and wall where mice can gain access. Then if I want to trap I'll place the trap outside under the trailer and trap them before they enter. 

Thank you Mike. I'm not so worried now since that big cat was seen at another place with pictures about 3/4's of a mile away. There is timberland around 3/4ths of the 27 homes in this 'end of the trail' area. Everyone has blackberries around here. The nearest road behind me is 7 miles and it's a quiet rural road. The same timber company owns everything around and beyond. The one neighbor makes signs and now there is a cougar warning sign up as you enter our neighborhood. That cougar is a good patrol cat/ deterant for burglars who come in the night. I know of at least one other cougar that patrols around here also. They keep squatters out too.:thumb1:

This way we never have to dig a grave for the looters or thieves.

Edited by JAG1
  • Haha 1