• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Another headlight thread

I need to replace my headlights as I have polished them far to many times and would like some real world experience from people that have used them. I am in a budget but don't want the cheapest out there. I have about 250 buck to blow and don't want to do it twice. What I have decided on is the clear lens euro style with halogens.  I have spent far to much time reading forums and searching the internet and it is just overwhelming . The biggest deal is that they need to be adjustable from the front and if  two piece where the adjuster moves only the headlight is any better then one piece. I don't drive my beloved truck at night very often because I live in a high deer population area and we all know how good the stock lights are. Thanks

• Owner

Personally, I love my Morimoto D2S HID headlights the best which I installed in Beast. A very wide path of light and also a very tall path of light on high beam. Lo Beam is cut just right not to blind oncoming traffic. As for economy-based lighting, I got clear lens headlights for Minnie. Then installed a set of LED bulbs into Minnie. These are good but pattern of light isn't as good as the HID's as Beast has but OK for night travel. 

I would suggest not to opt for halogen bulbs just not enough light in a stock housing or after-market housing even a clear lens. I've even tried the sport headlights with the relay mod and they suck badly. Light is not where it needs to be. Small hot spots on the road by no width of light to cover the road properly. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

The reflector with halogens is going to be the key to getting a good pattern on the road. Where the factory headlight was the lens that gave the pattern. 

Now for a bit more money put a set of these in the headlights. 

https://www.morimotohid.com/morimoto-mini-d2s-5-projectors?quantity=1

image.png

That would give you all the light you'll need. Excellent pattern, the reflector wouldn't matter. The only bad part is you have to remove the lens from the new headlight by baking it in an oven and resealing them after installation. 

Next down here are the bulbs I used in Minnie my 99 Dodge Caravan I know they are not the right bulb number but not bad in price. Then you based back on the reflector quality on how good the pattern will be on the road. The Minnie headlights for a pattern isn't bad, but it's not stellar either. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GGRHPPY/

image.png

On 5/28/2023 at 1:47 PM, Nekkedbob said:

What I have decided on is the clear lens euro style with halogens.

I am assuming the your truck has the single bulb per side OEM headlights that use the 9004 bulb and I am also assuming that your headlights are NOT relayed.

If the above statement is true, then your headlight output (in lumens) will be about 50% of  bulb rated output because there is no relay.  The wiring from the headlights are long in distance and are undersized in diameter, consequently a severe voltage drop occurs at the bulb.  Properly installed relays will bring up the voltage at the bulb so that the bulb will reach 100% rated output (in lumens).  No matter what halogen bulb system you use, the system must be relayed.  If not, there will be no improvement.

The 9004 bulb is a low / high beam bulb.  The low beam is only 45 watts (for long life).  Most low beam bulbs are 55 watts.

I switched from single bulb per side to two bulbs per side (Sport Headlights) years ago.  Unlike Moparman's experience with Sport Headlights, my experience has been exactly the opposite - good beam pattern and great illumination to the sides and forward (low and high beam).  Not nearly as effective as his Morimotos, but far better than the OEM non Sport Headlight.   Daniel Stern recommends the following bulbs for the Sport Headlights:

The best 9007 bulbs presently on the market are the GE Night
Hawk Xenon 9007NHX or the Philips Xtreme Vision 9007XVS2

The best 9004 bulbs presently on the market are the GE Night
Hawk Platnium 9004NHP or Philips Xtreme Vision 9004XVS2

I would not have any faith in the quality of the headlights at the website that you linked to because there is only one review and because there are no photos showing the actual beam pattern on the roadway.  It is very difficult to buy a good set of headlights on the Internet because there is never any proof that shows how effective the headlights are at doing what they are supposed to do.

The Sport Headlights and relays are within your budget.

- John

• Like 2

The sport head light was what I thought about first but the clear ones on my 2005 do so good was why I am asking about them. I wanted to stay with the halogens mostly because I can find them where I am at and most truck stops when I travel. I did look at projectors but still reading reviews on them and its seem to be real cheap or too expensive. I would like to hear about anybodies experiences with them.

What Moparman said is spot on.

If you dont mind putting in some work, those morimoto retrofit lights are a one-and-done job. You'll have better light output than most vehicles on the road. I built a set a while back and never want to go back to another style of light.

Not gonna lie, it wasnt cheap (~$450 lights and ~$80 new housing + random materials). If you have any questions, lemme know!

On 5/28/2023 at 4:59 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Personally, I love my Morimoto D2S HID headlights the best which I installed in Beast. A very wide path of light and also a very tall path of light on high beam. Lo Beam is cut just right not to blind oncoming traffic. As for economy-based lighting, I got clear lens headlights for Minnie. Then installed a set of LED bulbs into Minnie. These are good but pattern of light isn't as good as the HID's as Beast has but OK for night travel. 

I would suggest not to opt for halogen bulbs just not enough light in a stock housing or after-market housing even a clear lens. I've even tried the sport headlights with the relay mod and they suck badly. Light is not where it needs to be. Small hot spots on the road by no width of light to cover the road properly. 

IMG_20230130_191200571.jpg

Edited by jaredwins

• 1 month later...

Have you done the one peice lenses like that. I was unsure about them so steered clear when i orderd my houseings. Went with two peice 

How much are those hid. Link didnt take me anywhere