• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Gasser vs. Diesel

• Owner

Geez... It still cheaper to drive my diesel... Thanx! Here is a profile of Idaho fuel prices over the years... post-2-138698171388_thumb.jpgI already knew that from all the math and fuel logging I did... But the simple way to look at it is Mom's 96 1/2 ton truck weighs about 5,500# and get about 12 MPG empty which give about 420 miles to the tank. Then compare the diesel at 20 MPG which gives 700 miles to a tank which is a huge difference.

So for average diesel use (guessing here)

20000 miles daily mixed driving - lets say both get same MPG (~17)

$3294(diesel)

$2824(gas)

10000 miles of heavy use (towing/hard on accelerator) say diesel (~12) and gasser (~8)

$4667/2(diesel) ..... $2334

$6000/2 (gas) ...... $3000

Means

$5628 diesel$5824 gas

So roughly same -> comes down to expenses to upkeep truck ............

but go heavy towing .............. say

10000 miles daily/mixed

$3294/2(diesel)

$2824/2(gas)

30000 miles towing/throttle

$4667*1.5 (diesel)

$6000*1.5 (gas)

$8,662.50 diesel$10,412.00 gas

So now almost saved $2k in 1 year ................ add that over 5 years and thats $10k

So for me - I would need to work my truck for 5 years ...... with some good towing to see a ROI :lmao2: lmao

CAJ - need any 2000lb loads hauled anywhere ?? :lmao:

(Of course that all depends if GASSERS do only get 8mpg towing heavy ......... sounds right from what I heard - but dunno about the real new trucks).

The guy who rides with us has a brand new F250 with the 5.4 and the torqueshift automatic. The transmission is awesome in that thing, but he needs it to be awesome. He pulls a travel trailer just like yours John but it might only be 7-8k lbs max. He gets 5-7 pulling it. This is all statistical... Now get in your cummins and get in his F250. I rode with him down there once and he always said "man it pulls like a dream, has lots of power....." He has never been in a diesel much. So upon getting in and getting to the interstate where mine will just flat out fly, his will downshift twice (5spd auto and gasser revving capabilities) and just be running the hell out of it. He sees this as normal.. Which it basically is on a 5.4, what else would you expect it to be doing when going up a 4-5% grade at 70mph. I am going to try and trade him sometime, he can pull mine and I pull his. Would definitely save money doing that since he would have my smaller trailer that he might get 10 with lol. The point is, statistics might show one story, but driving them is entirely different. I am not sure about those 8.1 vortecs, I hear they get 10mpg no matter what and have a lot of power, so that might even the odds up a bit. They have 450HP and almost 500TQ, so they would be something interesting to tow with.

These things are taking forever to load, but here is the first one calculated out. I must say I haven't seen diesel that looks like water in a while :lmao:

Posted Image

--- Update to the previous post...

The torque test was also a sham. The Dmax didn't downshift because they didn't floor it, the cummins either had a busted oil pressure gauge or they ran it out of oil. You can hear the powerstroke floored downshifting and loud as hell, yet at the end "it can hold higher gears cause it has the power".

• Owner
:lmao2::lmao:I think both the Chevy and the Dodge was busy doing a DPF cleaning and couldn't muster up the power when the injectors are busy dumping large amounts of fuel down the exhaust pipe.I hate to say it but I can pass a semi at a much faster pace than they can no less I can go much farther on a few gallons of fuel too... :tongue::tease:

:lmao2::lmao: I think both the Chevy and the Dodge was busy doing a DPF cleaning and couldn't muster up the power when the injectors are busy dumping large amounts of fuel down the exhaust pipe. I hate to say it but I can pass a semi at a much faster pace than they can no less I can go much farther on a few gallons of fuel too... :tongue::tease:

x2........and I can do it without the EGT's getting over 900* loaded!!!!! And then still get 18-19mpg in "combined" driving!!!! Lier's figure, and figure lie!!!! Lies, damn lies and statistics!!!!! You cannot get away from it!!!! I still love the Cummins in my Dodge!!!:smart::thumbup2:

• Owner

x2........and I can do it without the EGT's getting over 900* loaded!!!!! And then still get 18-19mpg in "combined" driving!!!! Lier's figure, and figure lie!!!! Lies, damn lies and statistics!!!!! You cannot get away from it!!!! I still love the Cummins in my Dodge!!!:smart::thumbup2:

I wish... For me to romp into in I will see 1,400*F in the pyro... :rolleyes: But still love the Cummins power... :woot:

I wish... For me to romp into in I will see 1,400*F in the pyro... :rolleyes: But still love the Cummins power... :woot:

Good grief Mike, that's some temp!! At most I'll see 1200* but that's rare. When I stand into it, the turbo lights quicker and keeps my temps down!!:whistle2: And yeah I'm sticking with my Cummins, you guys have fun with the gas vs. diesel deal. It's one of those things if you have to ask why, then you don't get it!!:cool:

• Owner

Good grief Mike, that's some temp!! At most I'll see 1200* but that's rare. When I stand into it, the turbo lights quicker and keeps my temps down!!:whistle2:

And yeah I'm sticking with my Cummins, you guys have fun with the gas vs. diesel deal. It's one of those things if you have to ask why, then you don't get it!!:cool:

Black Magic! 2001 Ram 2500 QCSB, 4x4, 5.9L 24V, NV 4500, 3.55 gears, Autometer Ultra-Lite: Boost, EGT, and FP gauges, Valair 13" Kevlar/Ceramic 3400 lb Single Disc, Valair Hydros, Edge Comp (untapped), DAP 150 hp sticks, 3" Pipe, HX-35/40, Custom Intake, Tunnel Ram, BHAF w/ custom 7075 T-6 Heat Shield w/ Red OuterWare, AFE Torque Tube, Air Dog II DF-165 w/ cover, Sport Headlights, & PSC Pump and Brace.

Ummm... Tap that pump I bet you'll sing another tune quick... :stuned:

Yeah if I pull the pump lead I be lucky to pass 1,200*F

Ummm... Tap that pump I bet you'll sing another tune quick... :stuned: Yeah if I pull the pump lead I be lucky to pass 1,200*F

I will once the warranty is off!!:thumbup2: And I'm sure than I could get some temps unless I add some more air as I have even more fuel than you with my 150s!!!:hyper:

• Owner

I will once the warranty is off!!:thumbup2: And I'm sure than I could get some temps unless I add some more air as I have even more fuel than you with my 150s!!!:hyper:

:banghead: Oh Chit... Man that will be hot as hell... I didn't see that on the first pass... Ummm.. what are you planning on doning? 150 HP injectors with a untapped 120 HP Edge Comp? :shrug::truck:

:banghead: Oh Chit... Man that will be hot as hell... I didn't see that on the first pass... Ummm.. what are you planning on doning? 150 HP injectors with a untapped 120 HP Edge Comp? :shrug::truck:

Oh no, I plan to tap the pump..... Just have to keep it way down until I add more air. Like twins!!!!:hyper:

Whys that? You guys are trying to justify one over the other and that's something I don't need to do.:thumbup2:

It is always smart to "ask why" about everything we do. Unless you are just in love with your pickup and don't care what it costs to run down the road and what it costs to repair then you don't have to ask why. But to say we don't "get it" by thinking about the costs? All I "get" is tons of broke 03+ 5.9s in the shop I work at to fix all the time. Galled pistons, scuffed cylinders, busted rings all from bad injectors and trying to pull a few thousand pounds over the gvwr and dodging the scales. In trucks from daily drivers where the guys who own them are old and the trucks never see rain to hot shot pullers that see 500+ miles a day. They just cost more to drive and if you don't believe me then go get a job at a dodge dealer and count how many 03+ dodges you see come in with exensive engine problems and compare that with the number of dodge gassers.

It is always smart to "ask why" about everything we do. Unless you are just in love with your pickup and don't care what it costs to run down the road and what it costs to repair then you don't have to ask why. But to say we don't "get it" by thinking about the costs? All I "get" is tons of broke 03+ 5.9s in the shop I work at to fix all the time. Galled pistons, scuffed cylinders, busted rings all from bad injectors and trying to pull a few thousand pounds over the gvwr and dodging the scales. In trucks from daily drivers where the guys who own them are old and the trucks never see rain to hot shot pullers that see 500+ miles a day. They just cost more to drive and if you don't believe me then go get a job at a dodge dealer and count how many 03+ dodges you see come in with exensive engine problems and compare that with the number of dodge gassers.

Could that also be because they are more Cummins on the road that gassers?? Or maybe because the guys with the Cummins trucks use them as a truck, unlike the guys with the gassers?:shrug: I do ask why. I've had to work on a lot of trucks out here, farm/ cattle trucks and the Cummins is the easiest/ cheapest to work on. They are also some of the hardest worked trucks too. I've had to work on a lot of gasser trucks as well, new and old. I'll stick with the Cummins for me but I've got all sorts of cars/ trucks so I'm not just a "Cummins" only person. :thumbup2:

Could that also be because they are more Cummins on the road that gassers??

I don't know, I can't find the sales statistics.

Or maybe because the guys with the Cummins trucks use them as a truck, unlike the guys with the gassers?:shrug:

They use them as they are designed to be used boss. Wonder why a gasser 1500 has a smaller GVWR than a 3500 diesel? Not talking about that. I said we get as many cared for babied trucks that took a dump as commercial tagged pullers. :shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

I do ask why. I've had to work on a lot of trucks out here, farm/ cattle trucks and the Cummins is the easiest/ cheapest to work on.

Not talking about easiest. Cheapest??? You are kidding right? You know how much a single common rail injector costs for a 05? What about for a 6.7? Those are wear parts professional welder boss. 1000 injector pump on the vp's? Wear part also.

They are also some of the hardest worked trucks too. I've had to work on a lot of gasser trucks as well, new and old. I'll stick with the Cummins for me but I've got all sorts of cars/ trucks so I'm not just a "Cummins" only person. :thumbup2:

:thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2:

:thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2:

Cheapest in comparison to other diesels sir. Comparing apples or apples!:thumbup2: But if you don't like your Cummins, sale it and go about your way.:thumbup2:

You get many cattle trucks down there? I suppose you do. I would much prefer to haul hay with a diesel compared to a gasser. Up hills the gasser isn't much fun loaded to the brim with cattle, tools, feed, help, ect.:thumbup2:

Cheapest in comparison to other diesels sir. Comparing apples or apples!:thumbup2: But if you don't like your Cummins, sale it and go about your way.:thumbup2:

You could have said that before :lmao: Diesel to diesel the cummins is definitely easiest to work on. Not sure about cheapest, figured they all costed too much when they all hit the CR phase. But 6 injectors is cheaper than 8 :lol: