• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My front end makes a really loud knock through every single bump and vibration it encounters. I remembered my bolt on the shock looking like this when I changed them but had to get it back together and just ignored it. Only the passenger side looked like this, the drivers side was fine. The shock bushing had so much play it could bang each side of the bolt, and it was incredibly loud. So I got some 10.9 hardened bolts that don't have the thread so far up to wear out that should last forever. Went ahead and did both sides. Got some locknuts so I can do away with that big tab thing. I don't know why they did that tab thing when you can get to it with a wrench easily. Maybe a squirrel slayer or something was it's intended purpose.Knocking problem solved. Maybe this will help someone else.

post-45-138698171444_thumb.jpg

post-45-13869817145_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My Dad has a 2wd 1st gen and it makes a knocking sound that seems to be coming from some where around the shocks when you go over bumps too. I'm guessing dodge didn't change much if anything from 1st to 2nd generation in that area so I'm going to have to check this out on his truck.

I need to do this my self I found my clunk the other day and havnt had time to fix it yet... Driver side lower shock bolt.. It seems the mount is a bit wider then the shock bushing.. I was told by a friend to crank it tight till the shock cant move in there lol.. ISX I think your fix is a better plan :thumbup2:

The mechanic in me says parts should fit! If the holes in the bracket are worn / sloppy, my suggestion would be to built it up & redrill or weld a patch with a properly sized hole on the bracket. If the bushing fits & there is still space, I'd suggest a "shim"... like a flat washer... INSIDE the bracket to reduce the required deformation. A few extra seconds could make a world of difference.