• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Removing tailgate handle?

Hey Mopar fans, I'm thinking about adding a locking tailgate handle on mine and was wonder how hard is it to remove/ install it?:shrug: Here is the one I'm thinking about: http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BULLY_LH_006 Thanks, Winslow

Very easy. You take the 3 T-30 Torx screws out of the inside part of the tailgate. Then you pull the bottom half of the latch off (the part that falls off of all chevy's). Then you pop off the 2 tailgate lock rod things and pull them out of the latch. Then to get it out you open the latch and pull the handle out first then the rest, it won't come out unless you pull that handle, unless you could find a better way than I could :lol: The rods that fell into the tailgate you can find easily, your whole hand can fit down in there and they hardly drop very far. When reinstalling, the shim thing that falls off chevys is the last thing to go on, it just pops back in. Dang it! Thought I edited that first shim part out :banghead: I try to keep what you guys see limited :lmao:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=1THS6mZE1Vs

• Like 2

Very easy. You take the 3 T-30 Torx screws out of the inside part of the tailgate. Then you pull the bottom half of the latch off (the part that falls off of all chevy's). Then you pop off the 2 tailgate lock rod things and pull them out of the latch. Then to get it out you open the latch and pull the handle out first then the rest, it won't come out unless you pull that handle, unless you could find a better way than I could :lol: The rods that fell into the tailgate you can find easily, your whole hand can fit down in there and they hardly drop very far. When reinstalling, the shim thing that falls off chevys is the last thing to go on, it just pops back in. Dang it! Thought I edited that first shim part out :banghead: I try to keep what you guys see limited :lmao:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=1THS6mZE1Vs

Maybe if you kick it really hard?.... lmao!:lmao:

Thanks so much man!!!!! I can't believe you even had a video for it, WOW!!!!!!!!!!:thanks::thanks:Doesn't look hard at all so I might order that here pretty soon as I would like to be able to lock the tail gate when I'm in town with something in the bed. The locking part will help keep people of taking things out of the bed plus keep them from stealing my tailgate!:stuned:

Shoot... I got a cheap fix for that... Just put a hose clamp around the pivot that has the slot in it. Then no one can lift the tailgate off without a screwdriver... (Poorman's protection)

Yeah that would keep them from stealing the tailgate, but there are times when I have something in the back, like a washer, that would be nice to keep someone from lowering the tailgate and helping me unload it!!:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Sorry I can fix that... But I could suggest a better neighborhood? :shrug: Then I guess you stuck with a tailgate lock too...

No I'm not too worried at home but in town like after I pick it up and need to go into the store where I can't watch the truck. Been a few times, that I've had to find a tree to back up to and sometimes that's easier said than done. For the most part I wouldn't have a problem, but with the economy like it is these days, people are getting more willing to do anything.:spend: