• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tapping noise after engine warms up?

Lately I've started to notice what sounds like a slight tapping after my engine gets up to normal temperature. It's a very light tap & hard to hear but you can definitely hear it when you listen closely....Sometimes it even sounds like a clock ticking fast when driving normally.....Only thing I know that I have changed the last month or so is that I've been running Stanadyne Performance formula in my diesel....Is this an exhaust valve or something that I'm hearing?

• Owner

Valve adjustment...

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/valve-adj/valve-adj.htm

Too much timing? Use a live data tool and check the IAT sensor for correct temperature. Incorrect IAT temp can/will offset the timing more advanced.

Plus on top of that the standyne is a cetane booster... Cetane improvers modify combustion in the engine. They encourage early ignition of the fuel. They encourage premature combustion and excessive rate of pressure increase in the combustion cycle.

thanks guys. i appreciate the help. i guess i will start looking into adjusting the valves soon....i was mainly running the stanadyne for the benefits of lubrication of the fuel system.....i was worried that maybe there might be a leak or crack somewhere in exhaust system.....if there was a leak or crack in the exhaust mainfold would you hear the ticking constantly & not just after it warms up?

• Owner

Like I'm finding out that some head crack and exhaust manifold cracks can be silent till the metal warm up a bit then cause all kind of problems. Poor JL Welding been chasing a cracked head for over 2 years... As for the Stanadyne you might look over other products... Not sure which your using... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/general/2-cycle-oil/hfrr/hfrr.htm

thanks for the replies....i may go out to wal-mart tomorrow and see if i can find some of the 2 cycle tc-w3.....i've heard of doing this, but i have just never tried it.....i've just always used power service or stanadyne......if you have a 35 gal tank is it recommended to put a quart in for a full tank or do you put in less?thanks...mike

thanks for the replies....i may go out to wal-mart tomorrow and see if i can find some of the 2 cycle tc-w3.....i've heard of doing this, but i have just never tried it.....i've just always used power service or stanadyne......if you have a 35 gal tank is it recommended to put a quart in for a full tank or do you put in less? thanks...mike

Yeah just a quart per tank. Put the quart in first so then filling it mixes it all up. Try this, just put in 128 for the ratio like it says, works perfect. http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/general/2-cycle-oil/ratio/ratio.htm

If so would you mine posting you results over here...

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/group.php?groupid=7

sure....i will post how it goes after running it a couple of days....hopefully it will quiet it down a little....

i don't mind the noise....i love the sound of a cummins diesel.....i've actually heard that the 2001 and 2002 have the loudest engines out of all the years......

--- Update to the previous post...

Yeah just a quart per tank. Put the quart in first so then filling it mixes it all up.

Try this, just put in 128 for the ratio like it says, works perfect.

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/general/2-cycle-oil/ratio/ratio.htm

thanks....so, it's not recommended to use the ratio they show in the chart -- 200:1? i should use a 128:1 ratio instead?

sure....i will post how it goes after running it a couple of days....hopefully it will quiet it down a little....

i don't mind the noise....i love the sound of a cummins diesel.....i've actually heard that the 2001 and 2002 have the loudest engines out of all the years......

thanks....so, it's not recommended to use the ratio they show in the chart -- 200:1? i should use a 128:1 ratio instead?

ratio is 1 0z. to 1 gal. of fuel...and the '99's were the loudest..2 cycle is awesome!!!:thumbup2:

The only "chart" I can think of you seeing is the HFRR chart. They used 200:1 but that was just a test they ran. Mike runs 128:1 and recommends it on all the VP44 trucks.

I agree, my 98.5 is pretty loud, but I like it like that. Some people like to tease me when they hear me driving past them by sticking their fingers in their ears. I usually give a big smile as well.So did your valves need adjusted? Michael's way is very straight forward! Need to check mine again. I'm glad Cummins used a rubber gasket too!Dave

• Owner

128:1 ratio is my current ratio I've been using since Aug 2006 which makes 91K miles since I started using 2 cycle oil. My VP44 is still going with 126K miles. Then topped my MPG out at 25.3 MPG hand calculated. As for the 128:1 ration that make the HFRR score in theory under 400 HFRR which meets and exceeds Bosch suggested fuel HFRR scores... post-2-13869817189_thumb.jpg The 200:1 ratio is used for the Common rail engines.

Definately do all the 2 stroke and valve adjustment - its FREE. Then if you put your ear to the AIR INTAKE (BHAF ?) ........ if its really loud and more of a 'tick' than a 'light thud' - then it most definately could be a head/valve issue. I had my exhaust valves fixed and head machined back to the tune of $1k ........ sucks :moon:

I agree, my 98.5 is pretty loud, but I like it like that. Some people like to tease me when they hear me driving past them by sticking their fingers in their ears. I usually give a big smile as well.

So did your valves need adjusted? Michael's way is very straight forward! Need to check mine again. I'm glad Cummins used a rubber gasket too!

Dave

I'm not sure about the valve adjustment just yet. This truck does not have many miles on it at all just yet, but I don't think it would hurt anything to check it....I went and got some 2-stroke oil last night & i'm going to try that first & see how it sounds after it gets warmed up....

i just wondered about one other thing....is it totally safe to run the 2 stroke oil in the diesel during the winter when temps get down fairly low?

i just wondered about one other thing....is it totally safe to run the 2 stroke oil in the diesel during the winter when temps get down fairly low?

Mike has ran it down to -22F or something like that. So your good to go :thumbup2: Ah here you go, scroll down till you see his temp gauge and read that little section. http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/general/2-cycle-oil/2-cycle-oil.htm