• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I am wanting to know what upgrades I need to do to lower my egt's. Right now I run a tst powermax3. On level 2 runnin down the interstate truck runs 800 degrees.. On power level 6 pulling 10k pretty slow under 40 i ran well over 1200 pullin a small hill.. So I need to make some changes to keep it down.. On level 8 goin 60 I hit over 1200 also.. So if i decide to pull a load down the hyway at 60 egt's are gonna be crazy high.. so lets here your ideas..

The interesting part is Johnfak has the same issue, and you both have 01' autos, meaning you both have that 9cm exhaust housing. I would get a 12 like everyone else has. The 9cm restricts the exhaust and you don't want that when your towing. They put the 9 on so it would spool up quick, the tradeoff is its a bottleneck. I predict this is the main problem between your's and John's truck. After that, a straight pipe will help, but John has a 4" straight pipe and obviously he still has EGT issues, but I am almost certain it is because of the 9cm bottleneck. You could put a 10" exhaust on but it still has to go through that bottleneck.

• Owner

Like myself I've got a Edge Comp tapped on 5x5 and RV275 injectors and I never turn it down at all... I can haul heavy firewood and not think twice... This is because I do have 12cm2 (HX35) exhaust housing over the 9cm2 (HY35). I'm just a straight pipe exhaust and a BHAF... This load in the pic set the cruise at 60 MPH and hover at 800-900*F heading home all up hill from Riggins, ID (1,800 to 2,800ft elevation). post-2-138698171562_thumb.jpg

My last run with a truck on a trailer (6000lbs) I had results like this. This was 5th gear going uphill and me keeping it at speed. So the 2000RPM shows what the EGT is at about 68mph with it holding constant. Each reading is showing how hot the EGT got to hold it constant at that rpm going up those hills. You can see the lower the RPM, the higher the EGT, and it is pretty exponential as you lug it the thing will just start to spike since the boost isn't there and there is no real flow through the engine to take the heat away. That is why you would downshift, I could be at 1500RPM in 5th and melt it or put it in 4th and be down to 800F at the same speed.

You hitting over 1200 on a hill at 40mph is unreal, what RPM was it at doing that? If you get to any big hills with a big load you gotta get the boost and RPM up, 2000 is the sweet spot on mine, from there on I can pull any hill and not worry about EGT, that is why I do 70mph every time I pull a trailer.

Posted Image

My last run with a truck on a trailer (6000lbs) I had results like this. This was 5th gear going uphill and me keeping it at speed. So the 2000RPM shows what the EGT is at about 68mph with it holding constant. Each reading is showing how hot the EGT got to hold it constant at that rpm going up those hills. You can see the lower the RPM, the higher the EGT, and it is pretty exponential as you lug it the thing will just start to spike since the boost isn't there and there is no real flow through the engine to take the heat away. That is why you would downshift, I could be at 1500RPM in 5th and melt it or put it in 4th and be down to 800F at the same speed.

You hitting over 1200 on a hill at 40mph is unreal, what RPM was it at doing that? If you get to any big hills with a big load you gotta get the boost and RPM up, 2000 is the sweet spot on mine, from there on I can pull any hill and not worry about EGT, that is why I do 70mph every time I pull a trailer.

Posted Image

I was pulling a 12 row corn head to a different field so I couldnt go very fast or it would start swayin and bouncin.. it pulled the motor down to 1500rmp and i had the converter locked. I got the exhaust straight piped and I have a BHAF.

--- Update to the previous post...

12cm. Only the 01 autos have the 9cm HY35.

where would I get this bigger bottle neck.. Any pictures of it. Is it the curved part after the turbo? and turbo boost was runnin bout 15-18 psi i believe.. probually to low for the kind of power i got.. Ive hit 40 psi boost on level 9 and the egts are still pretty dang high.. Never went over 1000 with my 65hp chip. not i get there with less Hp on this new chip.

12cm. Only the 01 autos have the 9cm HY35.

Would the HX35 be a direct bolt on.? Would the wastgate be the same>:shrug:

I was pulling a 12 row corn head to a different field so I couldnt go very fast or it would start swayin and bouncin.. it pulled the motor down to 1500rmp and i had the converter locked. I got the exhaust straight piped and I have a BHAF.

where would I get this bigger bottle neck.. Any pictures of it. Is it the curved part after the turbo? and turbo boost was runnin bout 15-18 psi i believe.. probually to low for the kind of power i got.. Ive hit 40 psi boost on level 9 and the egts are still pretty dang high.. Never went over 1000 with my 65hp chip. not i get there with less Hp on this new chip.

Would the HX35 be a direct bolt on.? Would the wastgate be the same>:shrug:

Cummins 2001...I to had the same issue after adding edge juice/att box & 50hp injectors..and I have a 2002 Auto trans. in a 3500-2WD w/HY35 TURBO w/9cm housing. I could run up 1350EGT every time i got on the go pedal and stayed in it... After i recently Installed a new ATS Aurora 3000 Turbo w/ ATS Pulse Flow Exhaust Manifold Kit..I cant make it go over 1050EGT ..most of the time around 900-950 pulling & around 700-750 crusing on highway

SO....ISX is correct..the 9cm exhaust housing on the stock HY35 Turbo won't allow any upgrade in power...the EGT'S were borderline on my truck "STOCK" with no box and injectors when pulling a load of any size..

And you can't swap out the exhaust housing on the HY35 for a HX35..HX35 bolts to the compressor housing and the HY35 has a big Snap-ring holding it on compressor housing..

Good Luck:thumbup2:

Richie

• Like 2

I think rburks answered all your questions :thumbup2:But you running 1500RPM is the main issue.. You should never lug it like that with a trailer, downshift it. Only problem there is you would be in 2nd gear which I don't think locks the torque converter, so your trans would heat up, but it would have been at 2200RPM which would have been a lot better. Problem is that lugging it with a trailer like that and going up a hill will pretty much send any truck over the edge on EGT's, there simply isn't enough engine RPM to get rid of the heat and the momentum of the engine is so low that any fuel you give it really doesn't do anything but add to the heat. You have to get the RPM up so it has some momentum and horsepower and then the engine will sing. The 12cm will help but if you see on the chart I made, I am in the same boat as you at 1500RPM. So basically, you just need to keep it higher up in the RPM's.

• Like 1

Ok.. I can see where you get your conclusion.. Basically egt go through the roof at highway speeds to.. Im runnnin 800 degrees on light throttle going 70mph. thats on power level 2 also so thats only 30hp extra. Can i swap out the hy35 with the hx35? like the whole thing housing and turbo. ? I found some good deal on a used one with a bad waste gate actavator.

The HY35 will screw you over at highway speeds and low RPM will also screw you over. You can't evade the latter except downshifting but the HX35 should give your highway speed EGT a good drop. Everyone swaps them out so I imagine they are a direct swap. Rburks sounds like he has done it so maybe he will chime in on the swap.

don't run the box on the upper power levels,get some twins,water/methanol,propane:thumbup2:

yeah - unfortunately what the ^^^^^big dog said ^^^^^^ I just bought a methanol/water kit ................... Bigger Turbo was the other option. HX35 or a hybrid would be a cheaper way of turbo upgrade as with the HX35 lots of guys get rid of them when they upgrade their manuals. ~$250. Think Jacob does a hybrid deal.

I think rburks answered all your questions :thumbup2:

But you running 1500RPM is the main issue.. You should never lug it like that with a trailer, downshift it. Only problem there is you would be in 2nd gear which I don't think locks the torque converter, so your trans would heat up, but it would have been at 2200RPM which would have been a lot better. Problem is that lugging it with a trailer like that and going up a hill will pretty much send any truck over the edge on EGT's, there simply isn't enough engine RPM to get rid of the heat and the momentum of the engine is so low that any fuel you give it really doesn't do anything but add to the heat. You have to get the RPM up so it has some momentum and horsepower and then the engine will sing. The 12cm will help but if you see on the chart I made, I am in the same boat as you at 1500RPM. So basically, you just need to keep it higher up in the RPM's.

I agree with ISX that keeping the RPM's up when pulling, especialy pulling a Hill, is a must in order to control EGT's...having said that...1500RPM isn"t Lugging as much as you would think w/the HY35 Turbo..that thing spools at 1100-1200 w/the boost fooled..I mean its strong at 1500RPM but it curves over by the time you get to 2000rpm or just before...towing w/ any mods. at all requires you to watch the PYRO and down shift accordingly..annd.. back your foot of the go pedal...:smart:"YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO USE EVEN HALF THE ADDED HP. FROM THAT BOX WITHOUT MELTING HER DOWN UNLESS YOU UPGRADE THAT TURBO & EXHAUST...I mean you can run that box wide open on the highest setting..but especially when towing your going to have to back out of the throttle and keep the turbo spooled tight{2000rpm+} "cant keep your foot in it very long"

The problem is a 2-phase issue with the exhaust turbine wheel & housing... 1#it isn"t large enough to pull the exhaust gasses out of the engine fast enough #2 the exhaust turbine wheel is so small that it can't turn the compressor wheel fast enough to make the desired air needed....

hope this helps you out:thumbup2:

Richie

Ok.. I can see where you get your conclusion.. Basically egt go through the roof at highway speeds to.. Im runnnin 800 degrees on light throttle going 70mph. thats on power level 2 also so thats only 30hp extra. Can i swap out the hy35 with the hx35? like the whole thing housing and turbo. ? I found some good deal on a used one with a bad waste gate actavator.

YES.. You can swap to an HX35 complete turbo but you will have to change your down pipe...your HY35 has a 3.5" adaptor flange elbo that bolts up to the back of turbo exhaust housing & connects to the 3.5"down pipe via a ball seat type deal simular to whats on a V8 GM gas motor. The HX35 uses a V-Band clamp to connect and seal to the turbo exhaust housing.. the flange on the turbo exhaust housing is 3.5"dia.

I HAVE A NEW Stainless Steel 4"to 3.5" downpipe for HX35 or any turbo w/3.5" flange for V-BAND connection ..this is to be used with a 4" exhaust system:whistle:

Richie

Yeah the HX40 is bigger, they use it on the 8.3 cummins. I am not sure how good it spools down low, the HX35 seems to have a really good map as far as I can tell with it on my truck. You can get them really cheap too.

well the hx35 is going to be cheapest option as manual guys get rid of these to upgrade. ~$250 Anything else is generally $1000+ new and $750-$850 second hand - due to upgraded compressor/wheel everything There is a hyrid 35/40 - I think thats closer to $600 new. eg http://www.dieselautopower.com/product_p/dodgezilla%2035-fslash-40.htm So lots of choices ..... but if your not planning to upgrade any further - the HX35 for $250 might be best value :) Else those hybrids look nice. If you go crazy - then the s300 or a twin setup - but minimum $1k.

Sounds good.. I see a brand new hx35 on ebay for 199. or i can get a used one for less but i would have to put a new waste gate on it cause it wouldnt hold a vac the guy said.

Don't know anything about the ebay ones - are they genuine holset ?? They are probably fine.

I would look over at CF. I know some moderators and key people were selling HX35's used for around 250 shipped. Since its off a working truck - thats what I would look for ................ I think you need a downpipe adjustment for the exhaust ?? Not sure ...... I think thats what rburks meant;

You can swap to an HX35 complete turbo but you will have to change your down pipe...your HY35 has a 3.5" adaptor flange elbo that bolts up to the back of turbo exhaust housing & connects to the 3.5"down pipe via a ball seat type deal simular to whats on a V8 GM gas motor. The HX35 uses a V-Band clamp to connect and seal to the turbo exhaust housing.. the flange on the turbo exhaust housing is 3.5"dia.

I HAVE A NEW Stainless Steel 4"to 3.5" downpipe for HX35 or any turbo w/3.5" flange for V-BAND connection ..this is to be used with a 4" exhaust system:whistle2: [ /QUOTE]