• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Replacement Dodge Keys?

Moparians,I'm wanting to get another Mopar key cut for my truck to use as an ignition key that I leave inside the truck so I can leave it running and lock the doors. I've got several just plain hardware keys for it as spares but I'm wanting a Mopar oem one. Does anyone have an idea what a dealer charges to cut another key? I found some key blanks on ebay for like $9 plus $4 shipping. Just thought I would check at a dealer before I go and buy them off there. Any ideas?:shrug:Thanks,Winslow

I got my keys made at home depot and they work fine. You can get them with or without the black rubber coating. I got both one with rubber stays at home and the other just metal stay in my wallet for emergency reasons.

Yeah I know, I've got about 3 or 4 of them. One I keep hidden on the truck. I'm just wanting a matched Mopar one just for the looks aspect of it!:thumbup2:

Moparians,

I'm wanting to get another Mopar key cut for my truck to use as an ignition key that I leave inside the truck so I can leave it running and lock the doors. I've got several just plain hardware keys for it as spares but I'm wanting a Mopar oem one. Does anyone have an idea what a dealer charges to cut another key? I found some key blanks on ebay for like $9 plus $4 shipping. Just thought I would check at a dealer before I go and buy them off there. Any ideas?:shrug:

Thanks,

Winslow

I would imagine that the dealer would charge significantly more than your local hardware store would to cut a key, if they even have a key cutter. Buy your special blank, then take it to your local ace hardware along with your original key, the lady will insert them into her magical machine and viola! a matching key is created.

--- Update to the previous post...

So get a permanent marker and draw a chrysler star on it.

Unacceptable. :mad: LOL.

I would imagine that the dealer would charge significantly more than your local hardware store would to cut a key, if they even have a key cutter. Buy your special blank, then take it to your local ace hardware along with your original key, the lady will insert them into her magical machine and viola! a matching key is created.

Unacceptable. :mad: LOL.

Yeah that's what I was thinking about doing, but just thought I would check to see what they charge first to see if I would be ahead in buying the blanks and going to a hardware store, or just having a dealer do it. My thinking is if the dealer screws up, they can just replace the key where if a hardware store screws it up, I'm out a key blank.:thumbup2:

Yeah that's what I was thinking about doing, but just thought I would check to see what they charge first to see if I would be ahead in buying the blanks and going to a hardware store, or just having a dealer do it. My thinking is if the dealer screws up, they can just replace the key where if a hardware store screws it up, I'm out a key blank.:thumbup2:

plus the added issue is many key cutters are not trued up on a regular basis, so its added risk to getting a defunct key. Wal-mart as an example couldn't make a working key if their lives depended on it.

• Owner

plus the added issue is many key cutters are not trued up on a regular basis, so its added risk to getting a defunct key. Wal-mart as an example couldn't make a working key if their lives depended on it.

The the spare key I keep in my wallet my local hardware store cut 5 keys and the 6th one finally worked... :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I agree with Smokey!!!:smart: A little off the subject who knows what it takes to get a FOB for a truck that does not have one?