• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2-cycle oil Lubricity results

Hello everybody this is Randy from Indiana, sorry it took so long to get these results but our labs busy season had started and i had to slip it in when I could. So i tested a Kendall GT-1 two cylce oil bought from Hires auto parts and compared it to our TDR-S product. The results are as follows: I treated the fuel with one once of two-cycle oil per ten gallons of diesel fuel or 700ppm's per gallon. The base fuel had a HFRR of 520um which is ASTM spec The fuel with the two-cycle oil had HFRR of 470um. The fuel treated with the TDR-S had a HFRR of 425umSo the answer to some of your questions is yes the two-cycle oil does lubricate your engines, but if you were to put any cetane in to the fuel it would negatively affect the lubricity. I am also concerned with newer diesel engines coming on to the market that the tolerances for the new injectors are going to have smaller openings so any added carbon build-up will cause issues. In fact our company was invited to attend a meeting in California from ASTM to discuss injector carbon build-up issues.

• Like 3

• Owner

Hmmm... Math...

1 ounce of 2 cycle oil to 10 gallons of fuel which is (10 gallons x 128 = 1,280 ounces of fuel) which in turn turns out to be 1,280:1 Ratio and still got 470 HFRR score started with 520 HFRR treated diesel??? This is a 50 point gain at 1,280:1 Ratio...

Something is goofy...

If Diesel Place test was with un-treated fuel at 636 HFRR and added 200:1 ratio and still hit 474 HFRR...But at 200:1 ratio with untreated diesel 162 Point gain...

If you could get a re-test with normal 520 HFRR diesel fuel and do a 200:1 ratio and a 128:1 ratio... That would be so awesome...

But just using theory... Being that your was exactly 1/10 the strength... Then in all rights 10 times stronger mix would net you a gain of 500 Points and have a final score of roughly ~50 HFRR...

So in theory I'll stay with the 128:1 ratio... :thumbup2:

• 10 months later...

Hmmm... Math...

1 ounce of 2 cycle oil to 10 gallons of fuel which is (10 gallons x 128 = 1,280 ounces of fuel) which in turn turns out to be 1,280:1 Ratio and still got 470 HFRR score started with 520 HFRR treated diesel??? This is a 50 point gain at 1,280:1 Ratio...

Something is goofy...

If Diesel Place test was with un-treated fuel at 636 HFRR and added 200:1 ratio and still hit 474 HFRR...But at 200:1 ratio with untreated diesel 162 Point gain...

If you could get a re-test with normal 520 HFRR diesel fuel and do a 200:1 ratio and a 128:1 ratio... That would be so awesome...

But just using theory... Being that your was exactly 1/10 the strength... Then in all rights 10 times stronger mix would net you a gain of 500 Points and have a final score of roughly ~50 HFRR...

So in theory I'll stay with the 128:1 ratio... :thumbup2:

Which 2 cycle do you like and where do you get it?

• Staff

Wal-Mart oil for me. It's gone up here too. I bought 5 gal @ $8.88 just before a barrel of oil went to $150. Wal-Mart raised the price to $10/gal. When oil went down to $55 a barrel the prices stayed at $10. Now a barrel is hanging around $85 and the price goes up once more, go figure.

[*] :banghead:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I have been using Wally 2 stroke in my diesel. I see that you guys are using a lot less than I have been. I like to dump a gallon in to each tank = 20 or 30 to 1. Saving 5 or 6 bucks each tank isnt real important to me, especally if it gives the IP a little more lube. Any potential problums at this mix? (btw I aint fouled any spark plugs yet :lmao:)

I have been using Wally 2 stroke in my diesel. I see that you guys are using a lot less than I have been. I like to dump a gallon in to each tank = 20 or 30 to 1. Saving 5 or 6 bucks each tank isnt real important to me, especally if it gives the IP a little more lube. Any potential problums at this mix? (btw I aint fouled any spark plugs yet :lmao:)

Is this in your '93 or '02????:2cents::smart:

Loss of MPG from excessively low cetane. Excessive thick fuel (high cSt score) might not atomize good and put extra stress on the injection pump.

Thanks for the replys! I did not realize that it would degrade the cetane, n didnt really consider pumpabillity:doh:. I figured if a 5% WMO was OK The Wally lube at a similar mix would be great. Looks like I should cut down the mix a bit. This is in the 93 as well as the 02. btw I save the WMO for the wood stove in the shop.