• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2001 2500 brake help

Hello I have an early 2001 2500 4X4 sport with rear drum brakes, I am in the process of changing brakes and I am looking for some help. I purchased the brake hardware kit and the one the parts store(orielys)shows for my truck is not correct. Any one have any idea's or maybe had the same issue before. I would like to see an exploded parts breakdown if anyone has a link I would really appreciate it. It appears the shop that did the job last put left and right on the wrong sides the auto adjusters where not contacting the star wheels, the shoes look new no wonder I had such lousy brakes I complained to them several times and got no satisfaction. Was unable to do them the last time because of work.ThanksDavid

Hope this helps, The rear drums are pretty straight forward. here is the section out of the manual for you to look at. JG

JG Thanks had to make a run for different hardware NAPA had the right stuff. There are two pieces that where not there when I took them apart they look like c"s. do not see them in any of the diagrams you sent. They where a big help thanks again. Will finish up tomorrow I have the front to do have EBC rotors and yellow stuff pads. David

i have had places sell me hardware for a different rear-end and i have also been sold hardware for the opposite side i was working on. i like to take the pieces i need with me. i try to take everything out of the box and look at them. (when i bought my upper and lower balljoints, one of the lowers was used and not for cummins front end. another time i got the stuff for an oil change. drained all the oil out of the truck. took the old filter off. opened the new filter and it looked like they had played "kicked the filter" with it. i had to walk to the part store, cause i wasn't going to use that filter) i like to use the other side for reference when working on drums

i have had places sell me hardware for a different rear-end and i have also been sold hardware for the opposite side i was working on. i like to take the pieces i need with me. i try to take everything out of the box and look at them. (when i bought my upper and lower ball joints, one of the lowers was used and not for cummins front end. another time i got the stuff for an oil change. drained all the oil out of the truck. took the old filter off. opened the new filter and it looked like they had played "kicked the filter" with it. i had to walk to the part store, cause i wasn't going to use that filter) i like to use the other side for reference when working on drums

That is what I like to do too, but in this case they had switched right and left except for the emergency brake lever and the adjuster cable (which was not hooked to anything) must have been to much work for them to replace the cable. I could have used the old shoes they had no wear compared to the replacements.