• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Wow! 3 Transmissions... :stuned: Still running the same one from the factory NV4500... Edge Comp on 5x5, RV275 injectors and SouthBend Clutch been no issues here... Hauling weigh, skidding logs, etc... :rolleyes: Must be the NV4500 are bit tougher... :shrug: - :lmao2:

How much weight,How far,How many miles?

Been through 3 NV5600 already,just looking to put in those RV275's and up the boost I think will be plenty for me,I'm always Hauling weight gotta watch the drivetrain. Might think about one if i could find a used for the right price.

Sorry - didn't see your a manual. Still - the thing is you don't have to run on 5x5. And as long as you don't mash the peddle to floor - the advanced timing/fuel control at that level for trips (hauling/interstate) will net you extra mpg over the hypertech and pay for itself pretty quick. Just sell the hyper on cumminsforum and buy a secondhand edge comp for like $300. Just make sure you have EGT and tranny temp gauge. Else - buy the juice for $350-$400 and it comes with all the guages and probes you need saving you again $$

The COMP/juice will net you more BOOST + more POWER + more MPG than the RV275's - and do it all in one hit.

I like the RV275's - but the power is not hugely noticeable - maybe 30HP - thats hard to feel, the mileage varies on trucks - 0.5+mpg for me and 2.5+mpg mike ........ and the RV275's don''t do everything else - do you already have guages ??

anyway - hope that makes sense - protecting the drivetrain is always my big concern also now ...... but would think as long as you drive her like a diesel (which I am guilty of not doing) you should be fine, pick up extra power/features/monitoring + fuel savings :)

best of luck

john

--- Update to the previous post...

Sorry - didn't see your a manual. Still - the thing is you don't have to run on 5x5. And as long as you don't mash the peddle to floor - the advanced timing/fuel control at that level for trips (hauling/interstate) will net you extra mpg over the hypertech and pay for itself pretty quick. Just sell the hyper on cumminsforum and buy a secondhand edge comp for like $300. Just make sure you have EGT and tranny temp gauge. Else - buy the juice for $350-$400 and it comes with all the guages and probes you need saving you again $$

The COMP/juice will net you more BOOST + more POWER + more MPG than the RV275's - and do it all in one hit.

I like the RV275's - but the power is not hugely noticeable - maybe 30HP - thats hard to feel, the mileage varies on trucks - 0.5+mpg for me and 2.5+mpg mike ........ and the RV275's don''t do everything else - do you already have guages ??

anyway - hope that makes sense - protecting the drivetrain is always my big concern also now ...... but would think as long as you drive her like a diesel (which I am guilty of not doing) you should be fine, pick up extra power/features/monitoring + fuel savings :)

best of luck

john

OH - GET READY FOR A PIC OF MIKE AND 3 CORDS OF WOOD GOING UPHILL !!! :lmao:

I'll look into getting a used one for my truck,need new Injectors anyway and 275's are the same price(mine have 782K on them). I do have all the gauges short the tranny temp(have one just not installed) Look forward to Mike's pics,but I think what he considers weight and what I do are different animals.

Wow! 3 Transmissions... :stuned: Still running the same one from the factory NV4500... Edge Comp on 5x5, RV275 injectors and SouthBend Clutch been no issues here... Hauling weigh, skidding logs, etc... :rolleyes: Must be the NV4500 are bit tougher... :shrug: - :lmao2:

mopar i have heared that to..S.B.C. are awesome.:thumbup2:

Thats about all l can get,at one time my truck was getting 35 PSI,waste gate must have be stuck or a hole in the hose between Elbow and Acctuator.

--- Update to the previous post...

Can you buy that Edge Elbow as a stand alone or do you have to buy the electronics?

You do understand that without Boost fooling via a box or programmer that any boost psi over i think 20psi will set off overboost code# and the ECM will defuel to overcorrect the increased boost psi.

to sum it up.. without fooling the ECM the the boost elbo will make your truck run like sh$$

Richie:thumbup2:

You do understand that without Boost fooling via a box or programmer that any boost psi over i think 20psi will set off overboost code# and the ECM will defuel to overcorrect the increased boost psi.

to sum it up.. without fooling the ECM the the boost elbo will make your truck run like sh$$

Richie:thumbup2:

that is not completely true. i have the elbow and no fooling. that code may set, but does NOT trip the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. as long as the boost stays below the mark, it does not defuel. with or without the code. i have found that i don't get into the throttle and my MPGs have gone up. i think my waste gate leaks or opens early. with the boost elbow...it doesn't open(right now, i cannot build enough to open it). so i did see a "seat of the pants" increase in power. now once i get over the threshold, it defuels(usually going up hill at high speed with a trailer) it will defuel...you the sound of the turbo never slows but you speed does not increase. just my experience with my 99 :2cents:

• Owner

mopar i have heared that to..S.B.C. are awesome.:thumbup2:

Not bad they are just a bit sticky for a clutch... (Or a got a hot spot from all the log skidding I do...)

You do understand that without Boost fooling via a box or programmer that any boost psi over i think 20psi will set off overboost code# and the ECM will defuel to overcorrect the increased boost psi. to sum it up.. without fooling the ECM the the boost elbo will make your truck run like sh$$ Richie:thumbup2:

that is not completely true. i have the elbow and no fooling. that code may set, but does NOT trip the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. as long as the boost stays below the mark, it does not defuel. with or without the code. i have found that i don't get into the throttle and my MPGs have gone up. i think my waste gate leaks or opens early. with the boost elbow...it doesn't open(right now, i cannot build enough to open it). so i did see a "seat of the pants" increase in power. now once i get over the threshold, it defuels(usually going up hill at high speed with a trailer) it will defuel...you the sound of the turbo never slows but you speed does not increase. just my experience with my 99 :2cents:

GW is right... You can run a boost elbow against the stock ECM but don't expect to keep you upper end power. As the boost rises to its limit the ECM will defuel the VP44 to try and keep a hold of it. But your upper end performance will suffer. Now if you want to trip the code then you need to shock the ECM... Cruise a lower RPM and drop a gear and nail it WOT the boost will rises so far that the ECM can't defuel fast enough and it will pass the mark. P0234 code will be thrown... Just remember P0234 is a wastegate problem not a MAP sensor...
  • Like 1

that is not completely true. i have the elbow and no fooling. that code may set, but does NOT trip the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT....OK...i never said anything about the check engine light

as long as the boost stays below the mark, it does not defuel. ah..yeah..thats what i said

[HTML]"that any boost psi over i think 20psi will set off overboost code# and the ECM will defuel to overcorrect the increased boost psi.

with or without the code. i have found that i don't get into the throttle and my MPGs have gone up. i think my waste gate leaks or opens early. with the boost elbow...it doesn't open(right now, i cannot build enough to open it). so i did see a "seat of the pants" increase in power. now once i get over the threshold, it defuels(usually going up hill at high speed with a trailer) it will defuel...you the sound of the turbo never slows but you speed does not increase. just my experience with my 99 :2cents:

So i am curious...Exactly what part is not true:shrug: the point i was trying to make is that adding a boost elbo is not going to "on normal circumstances" increase power...in fact its just the oppsite."if you have a good turbo and wastgate" you will loose power any time you get on it pedal hard or in a pull

i wouldn't necessarily say that you are going to loose power...more that you won't make more than the stock rating(after all, it is a stock truck). you are only "loosing" the extra power, cause more air = more fuel. the truck is running just the same if you didn't change the elbow(a brass 90* is changing the ECU's programing). if your wastegate was rusted shut...the same thing will happen...just my :2cents:

• 1 year later...

Check engine light is a "hard code". Most of the time it is something that should be checked soon. Soft codes like 0500 or a boost code will not make the cel come on. I get 602 with 1693 and 0500 all the time with no cel.On a side note you can drill out the boost elbo to get more. When i had my hx40 i did that to get it up to 50lbs. Start small if you do,better yet have another elbo in case your not happy. Remember 45lbs is pushing the head gasket limits. My hg poped at 55lbs but i did that for a few months everyday.

Hay Dually. Thanks for the reply. I'm confused now, I thought the idea of the boost elbow was to restrict air pressure to the waste gate so it doesn't open! Wouldn't drilling the the elbow just allow more pressure to the waste gate thus allowing it to open sooner like the factory elbow?

• Owner

Hay Dually. Thanks for the reply. I'm confused now, I thought the idea of the boost elbow was to restrict air pressure to the waste gate so it doesn't open! Wouldn't drilling the the elbow just allow more pressure to the waste gate thus allowing it to open sooner like the factory elbow?

Yes you want to trick the wastegate but blocking the air from reaching the wastegate and then having a very tiny small hole on the wastegate side of the valve so it can still biuld pressure but has a hard time doing it.

• 1 month later...

I've searched around the site and read all I could find about a boost elbow but still have a question. The Edge EZ I bought a few years ago came with a boost elbow but I never installed it. I drive like grandpa most of the time and don't have a boost gauge yet. Hope to do the gauge soon.Is there any benefit to installing the elbow or am I better off leaving it in the tool box?

Couple of questions for you guys.First off I have a Edge w/Attitude but the VP wire is not hooked up, so just running it on level one. Truck is equipped as shown in my signature, nothing fancy. When I see your guys posts showing boost in the area of 20 to 35 psi thats way more than I have ever seen. Believe that the best I have ever gotten is 16-17 psi. I bought this truck used 15,000 miles ago (136k total miles) and do not know the past history. Am wondering if the Turbo is showing its age with the low boost readings? Or is there anything else that could be causing my low boost readings when compared to you guys readings? Thx,Joe