• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need heat in my Cab

I did the radiator cleaning back in the summer and brought the temo back to 190 pulling, boy was it nasty. Well its finally getting cold in GA and i turned the heat on and its blowing cool air. I cleaned the rad, new thermostat, and cap. Any ideas on why its not blowing hot ?

Does air come out of the correct vents? If air comes out of the defrost, regardless of the control position, it's the vacume powered control. Could be a bad vacume pump, vacume leak, disconnected line or bad control drivers side of heater box. If you've been working under the hood, check vacume lines first... easy to distrurb or sometimes break. If air does not come out warm but comes out in correct place, likely electric blend door over passengers foot well. Hard to get to but can be done. See http://www.heatertreater.net/ Hope this helps. Russ

What I did when I had problems getting enough heat was flush the heater core. I filled a 5 gallon pail nearly full of hot water and mixed in a bunch of rad flush stuff, hooked a little pump to one side of the heater core, and circulated it thru for a while. Sure did the trick for me but I also knew my blend door was moving some at least since I could get lukewarm air.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I have checked everything and seems to be working fine, The heat gauge doesn't hit 190 and I put in a new thermostat when cleaned everything. I read somewhere that a superstat thermostat is not a good design and will let water bypass and cummins has a patten on there design, but I can't find it again. Should i find a cummins brand and replace? When it was warm (60+ degess outside) it would go to 190+ and then drop, but now that its 30-50 degrees outside it doesn't hit 190 degrees. could this be my heat problem and should I have a winter screen in north GA. I do plug up when its below 40 just from keeping it from ideling all morning.

What kind of driving are you doing?????? Around town, stop and go...........or highway cruising.........towing???? The cooling system on these trucks is so good/efficient/large that even towing around town in cool weather, won't bring the engine temps up.Idling will drop the temps a lot..........even in "HOT" Georgia weather!!! I remember towing a 25' car hauler loaded 3 ATV's and hunting gear for 5 guys in -10*F temps and into a straight 25mph North wind. No winter front at the time. Boost was running 20lbs.+, the EGT was 900-1000*, but the coolant temp was barely over 190. Stopped for fuel, and in the 10 minutes or so it took to fill up, the coolant temp dropped to under 160*.

Not to hijack but it appears that more than one person has the lukewarm heat issue im just mainly to lazy to tear my dash apart and find out whats really wrong but my random thought for you to check and question is when does you ac compressor come on and turn off I have come to find that this appears to be my problem simply because it only turns off when the selector is on the feet and that is the only time i get good warm air my other thought is maybee superstats do suck just put a new one last week and got my winter front in and when im in town in 10-20 degrees I will barely see 175-180 then on the highway I will see 205 or better. my winter front is also not visible from the outside since it goes between the intercooler and the radiator thus keeping egt's down big time... hope this helps as I said all I know is that this ac compreesor is running all the time and I know it should when its above freezing on defrost mode but it doesnt explain why when ac is on max and the regular setting it'll freeze u outta there then when i switch to the blend feet/chest ac off obviously selection it stays kinda cold and the compressors running but its not nearly as cold as when the ac was on... :shrug: as i say to my friends wit my truck it get to 50 60 in the cab so grab a jacket :)

Not to hijack but it appears that more than one person has the lukewarm heat issue im just mainly to lazy to tear my dash apart and find out whats really wrong but my random thought for you to check and question is when does you ac compressor come on and turn off I have come to find that this appears to be my problem simply because it only turns off when the selector is on the feet and that is the only time i get good warm air my other thought is maybee superstats do suck just put a new one last week and got my winter front in and when im in town in 10-20 degrees I will barely see 175-180 then on the highway I will see 205 or better. my winter front is also not visible from the outside since it goes between the intercooler and the radiator thus keeping egt's down big time... hope this helps as I said all I know is that this ac compreesor is running all the time and I know it should when its above freezing on defrost mode but it doesnt explain why when ac is on max and the regular setting it'll freeze u outta there then when i switch to the blend feet/chest ac off obviously selection it stays kinda cold and the compressors running but its not nearly as cold as when the ac was on... :shrug: as i say to my friends wit my truck it get to 50 60 in the cab so grab a jacket :)

Not sure why it is running that much. Mine doesn't turn on at all unless it is on defrost. I had it on recirculate today and the temp gauge went over 160F coming out of the center vent, my temp thing goes blank after 160 lol. I did get a pic of it before it blanked out. I could barely grab the steering wheel because the vent was blowing on it, scorching my hand.

post-45-138698173455_thumb.jpg

I guess I have confirmed that the ac conpressor is causing the problem only because I borrowed my buddys temp gun and the two heater hoses were around 180 each then inside my air comes out at like 95 degrees I thought it was my core but so I flushed it and no change not to mention the hoses being within ten degrees of eachother is a good sign I guess I just now have to figure out whats up with the ac compressor cheap fix someone recomended was buy a new belt for your truck without ac and just eliminate it for the winter my thought was is that going to harm anything such as defrost and such and can I just do that or is there something else involved? thanks much for the help in both threads isx :thumbup2:

Thanks much I'll give her a go and see what I get :shrug:

I was outside earlier and pulling that connector does turn it off. I had A/C on and everything and hooking the switch up made it come right back on. A lot simpler and cheaper than a new belt :lol: