• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How labor intense would it be if it could be done?

Tough to do, and you would be getting into a jackpot with one of those motors, they aren't as cheap to fix up as the 98-02 motors. You need a motor, ill sell you a shortblock out of an 01 non 53, lookin for 900 bucks. I pulled it out of my truck, im puttin a 8.3 cummins in mine, decided i wanted to go with something tougher; wet sleeved > parent bore.

Tough to do, and you would be getting into a jackpot with one of those motors, they aren't as cheap to fix up as the 98-02 motors. You need a motor, ill sell you a shortblock out of an 01 non 53, lookin for 900 bucks. I pulled it out of my truck, im puttin a 8.3 cummins in mine, decided i wanted to go with something tougher; wet sleeved > parent bore.

SMOKEY...YOU GOT ANY PICS OF THE 8.3 LITER?:thumbup2::hyper::drool:

I want to know what he is going to put under it for an axle to handle the extra weight of the 8.3 as its about 800 pounds heavier than a 5.9.

If you want pics ill get some but the motor is still at the machine shop i need to go pick it up, i had it tanked for paint and new core plugs installed.

I did the test fit before i tore it down and built my own solid motor mounts for the dodge frame, had to put some longer bolts and spacers to lift the cab up 3 inches to have room for it even then i would need to modify a few little things of course. steering shaft i still would need to put in an extra u joint maybe or change that whole setup to hydraulic off the pto pump on the tranny (which the donor truck has, it was a dump) But i am reconsidering that now... I bought the whole donor peterbilt 330 truck for the p pump 8.3 for $6000 I was thinking about just putting the dodge cab, bed, front clip- all that directly on the peterbilt's frame- I have no problem fabbing up mounts, I have a miller tig welder that I LOVE to put to good use haha- It would be a lot stouter with that pete frame under I think :whistle:. Got an RTO6610 tranny and a fs6406 that was in the peterbilt, haven't decided which to go with. I could go with the dodge parts on with the pete frame and all that it would be a totally different beast and i could still register, license and tag it as a pickup. I don't know, haven't decided yet.

--- Update to the previous post...

But anyway, I don't need to hijack this fella's thread here.

I dont know for sure just yet, when I run a compression test I will know more. I really think it is blown head gasket between cylinders. And why it wont seal I have no idea. It has been run a long time that way. I am going to try one more head gasket and see. What is your thought on copper coating gasket before install. A buddy of mine has a 03 5.9 for sale and the thought just crossed my mind. How hard was this short block ran? how many miles and what horse power was put to it?

I dont know for sure just yet, when I run a compression test I will know more. I really think it is blown head gasket between cylinders. And why it wont seal I have no idea. It has been run a long time that way. I am going to try one more head gasket and see. What is your thought on copper coating gasket before install. A buddy of mine has a 03 5.9 for sale and the thought just crossed my mind. How hard was this short block ran? how many miles and what horse power was put to it?

I sent that stuff off today for you BTW. Don't know how long it will take to get to you with thanksgiving and all... Wait on the head gasket those aren't cheap.... No need for the copper coating, just snake oil. Nothing wrong this one, I am parting it out is all because i am going with the wet sleeve motor. I will put it back together if I have to. 180k miles, stock no power adders. Never been overheated, no cracks. Painted red just to make it look nice. Guess it looks like a racing motor if you paint them :shrug: