• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I bought a 4" SS exhaust... straight through with the center pipe small louvers (mounted facing down stream of course). It is a muffler but sure can't have much restricton. I seem to recall they're available in all sizes. I shopped all over & finally bought an exhaust kit on e-bay. Took a week to get here but was as promised.Russ

I bought a complete system... 2 grades of stainless. I bought the cheaper... not nearly that expensive. Turbo to tailpipe. I bought it because the stock tailpipe rotted out & took the rear muffler flange with it. I'll be d*mned if I'd put a plain steel system back on. Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Well mine was the OEM system that rotted out. First the tailpipe devoluped holes, then the back of the muffler failed so the tailpipe & muffler flange were not connected. I removed the disconnected tailpipe as it was thrashing the underside of the truck... fearing if it jammed against the pavement, it could really tear things up. Russ

I didn't notice any mileage difference between before & after... running with back of stock muffler rotted open... maybe I got used to the noise. Remember, no mods to my truck! A lot of soot under the truck. Helpful to lift body (clearance for loop over rear axle) but wheels sure don't need to come off ground. Backhoe is just sitting in my way... hasn't been started in some time. My MS doesn't like the heat... I need to get a buddy over so we can jump start it. Russ

• 4 weeks later...

Years ago, my buddy used to run straight pipes on his '57 Chevy 327. He got it inspected a few times by shoving 5# of steel wool up each pipe with a broom handle. It was nice & quiet, they never looked underneath. Of course, the first time he stood on it the steel wool came out the back in a ball of fire... Best not go back by that garage!Russ

• 1 month later...

For any of you who hate the dreaded "drone" which comes along with removing the muffler and resonator, I think I've found a solution. Or at least a way to tolerate it after the fun wears off.I took a piece of steel (a T-post I found in the barn) and hose clamped it to the same section of exhaust which had the muffler/resonator. The T-post worked great because of its shape, allowing it to lay firmly on the exhaust pipe. With three big hose clamps I snugged it down tight to the exhaust pipe. The difference was noticeable right off the bat. Much less drone in the cab. The reasoning is the with out the muffler/resonator in place the exhaust pipe vibrates like a guitar string which give off a "drone" or resonating. By placing the added metal on the exhaust pipe, it removes most of that vibration. Works.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys, I forgot about this thread,The e-bay SS system had taken more work to install than I'd hoped. The section of pipe off the turbo was fine. The straight sections took some mount tweeking & trimming to get them to come out right. The over the axle section needed the mounts heated & tweeked to get it off the spare & off the spring. Still what counts is that it's done & it isn't going to rust out any time soon.It's definately louder than the stock system even sans tailpipe & hole in the back of the muffler where the tailpipe nipple went. It sounds good running empty but has a bark when under any load, even running empty. I have not run it with the trailer on yet but I'm sure it'll be loud. {This is not a quiet truck anyway... a lot of engine noise from the front. Removing the mouse habitat (hood insulation) could not have helped. My built 454 with headers, straight through glass packs & etc sounded good also but would drive you out of the cab with a trailer on! I ended up putting oversized truck mufflers back on that one. Russ

I just noticed I haven't edited my signature with the upgrade of oversize SS exhaust... other than that, truck remains pure stock. As such, the overhead computer has always given right on mpg readings compared to hand calculated. The mpg sweet spot has proved to be 1900 rpm on this 4:10 geared truck. At 65 it's turning 2100 & mpgs drop off. The best mpgs I've gotten were 18.4-18.6 range. I cleared the overhead (previous ave 17.5) & been driving around yesterday & today. Admittedly a small sample of secondary roads & around town... mpg is swinging between 19.0-20.1 Yes, I was "Granny Driving" to get mpgs but that's how I usually drive unless there's a reason. The weather is cool and the rich warm up always hurts mpgs some... with the small sample, I can see the average fall off driving gently as CTD warms up. Once warmed up I can see the average climbing back up to a nicer neighborhood.This is the first time I thought to check it but I'm pretty confident that I actually am 1 mpg or better improved. Ya know how many times we see claims "improves mileage" but never see it. I think this one did. WOW!Russ

• 2 months later...