• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

EGT Figures for Reference

I got the wild idea to make a whole graph of my EGT's at different speeds, temperatures, and conditions. I can't exactly graph them all instantly though so if anyone wants to help, just get on level ground and go a constant speed at a constant throttle, record the factors like I have, let me know if it is the truck in your sig or list the truck specs it was on. I want to see how everything affects the EGT's and I am too stupid to remember what it was "last time" so I am going to start recording what I see. I am going to do all 5th gear driving so if you guys are in a gear other than O/D, just list it so we know.

These will all be unloaded tests, people may wonder if their EGT's are normal or not so I want to get nothing but unloaded results.

Thanks to anyone that helps!

Posted Image

If you guys want this thing to be bigger to read it a little easier since the site scales it down, just click here.http://www.mopar1973man.com//isx97/Excel/TruckEGT.JPG

Perfect. I added IAT to it. I also am just averaging all your temps. I got to thinking a little more and exhaust, intake,... would all be a factor in this (especially HX or HY turbo) but I think I will overlook all of these other stats for now. If we end up having wildly different numbers out of someone then we might have to get a bit more technical. I think most of us know what EGT they are at at certain speeds including me, so if I see a result that looks a little skewed I will get some more details on it from them so we learn why they are hotter/colder than the normal. The way this chart works I just replace the file, so the 1st post results are going to be changing rather than reposting an updated spreadsheet every time. I might add some more factors to it, I know what most of you have done to your trucks so I will fill it in if I add more factors.

Got some more figures today. It's getting interesting now that we are starting to match speeds so we can compare. You can see how I am just barely over Mike's EGT at 55 but the ambient temp is 22F hotter on my run so he should have been in the 300F's being only 3F, but the winter front bumped it up for him. I am going to leave my winter front off for the sake of this thread and see what I get whenever it decides to hit 3F here. I am organizing the results by EGT temp. I would like to do something to make each users truck stand out a little so it is easier to tell the trucks apart (I am not big on reading the year and model for every EGT result, would rather my truck's stuff be in green, mikes be in red, something like that..).

• 7 months later...

Here are some figures from my current setup. 50 mph, ~1500 rpms, 575°, ~1 psi of boost 60 mph, ~1800 rpms, 650°, ~2 psi of boost 70 mph, ~2100 rpms, 700°, ~3 psi of boost

Do you know the ambient temp?

• Owner

Add a summer time EGT for yeah... EGT: ~600-650*FSpeed: 55 MPHAmbient Temp: 104*FWeather Conditions: Hot, 15% RHYear: 2002Model: 2500Trans: NV4500Driveline: 4WDWinterfront: No (IAT Temp 128*F @ 195*F coolant)RPM: ~1600Boost: ~2 PSI Note: Yes. I'm using the actual IAT sensor and not the MPG fooler.

I just did a test today and found something interesting. On the way to work I hit a flat section and looked at all the gauges, then on the way back I hit the same section and looked at all the gauges again. Both were at 55mph, the only difference was ambient temp.

Morning Run

[*]EGT: 435F +/- 5

[*]Ambient Temp: 77F

[*]Humidity: 60%

[*]Boost: ~2-3psi

[*]Speed: 55mph

[*]RPM:1611

Afternoon Run

[*]EGT: 435F +/- 5

[*]Ambient Temp: 94F

[*]Humidity: 60%

[*]Boost: ~2-3psi

[*]Speed: 55mph

[*]RPM: 1611

As you can see, ambient temp seems to have no effect. From AH64's info, I notice he is finding the same thing out. If I look at my records from winter, I notice I have exactly the same reading on EGT's, among everything else. What is interesting is how Mike notices a 200F hike in the summer, yet I don't see anything change which is with a digital EGT gauge so I can see every single degree. Have to do some research on this.

Here are some figures from my current setup. 50 mph, ~1500 rpms, 575°, ~1 psi of boost 60 mph, ~1800 rpms, 650°, ~2 psi of boost 70 mph, ~2100 rpms, 700°, ~3 psi of boost

i dont have all the extra info yall have but these #'s are consistant with my truck 90* +or- 5* in 6th gear level ground. they have been pretty consistant for the past 1.5 years since i started payin attention.

• Staff

As you can see, ambient temp seems to have no effect. From AH64's info, I notice he is finding the same thing out. If I look at my records from winter, I notice I have exactly the same reading on EGT's, among everything else. What is interesting is how Mike notices a 200F hike in the summer, yet I don't see anything change which is with a digital EGT gauge so I can see every single degree. Have to do some research on this.

Interesting, I would have expected your static timing to have had more change with ambient and the dynamic timing of VP's and CR's to have kept it more similar.

Interesting, I would have expected your static timing to have had more change with ambient and the dynamic timing of VP's and CR's to have kept it more similar.

There is a lot of folklore concerning dynamic timing. The one thing that can never be produced is the actual timing that those things are running. I'm sure somebody knows it but I haven't seen any info on any truck with a computer concerning what the timing actually is. How do we know it isn't going in between 2* and that's it? Maybe it's going between 10*. Nobody knows. One very interesting thing is that the VP44 trucks knock like crazy. When I park next to one that is running, I think my truck is falling apart until I figure out their truck is running. Now when Mike ran that IAT fooler, it quieted the engine down, seemingly retarding timing. Here's where it gets sketchy. I cannot produce the kind of knock that the 24V's produce, no matter how high I set my timing. Why is that? Is it from the higher pop pressure? 12V's have more compression so it would seem they would knock louder. But now lets look at the 6.7's that maximize pop pressure, yet they hardly knock at all. So between a 12V, VP44, and 6.7, the results are scattered and apparently timing cannot be judged by amount of knock. I can advance the timing on my truck and it knocks more, but only when you step on it, idling it sounds the same, not this incredible rattle the vp44's make idling. It seems to me that timing is only part of the equation of the rattle scenario's. I'll throw this out there as well. When my timing was advanced a good bit, it would start at 50F like it started at -10F with stock timing.. It was horrible. I think it was advanced a little much, maybe 18-20*. I lost a ton of low end power, gained a bunch up higher, EGT's didn't seem any different. MPG's weren't any different. That is why I have the hardest time understanding how a chip on a vp44 truck can make it get any more mpg's when I can swing a long ways with timing and never see a difference.

• Staff

The reason the 6.7 runs so quiet is the controlled pilot injection event, its also why HPCR 5.9's are so quiet. VP trucks are loud for sure, and I am not sure why they are so loud relative to a 12V, they both only use 1 injection event.

The "pop" pressure on a HPCR actually isn't pop as they injectors are electronically opened. The pressure also varies greatly from about 7K at idle to 23K max on my truck. EFILive is out for the 06-07's, and you can see how much the timing varies! Long read, but there are some good graphs and charts in here talking about the stock tuning, which is essentially the same from 04.5-07. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104594&highlight=stock+timing+tables

The reason the 6.7 runs so quiet is the controlled pilot injection event, its also why HPCR 5.9's are so quiet. VP trucks are loud for sure, and I am not sure why they are so loud relative to a 12V, they both only use 1 injection event.

The "pop" pressure on a HPCR actually isn't pop as they injectors are electronically opened. The pressure also varies greatly from about 7K at idle to 23K max on my truck. EFILive is out for the 06-07's, and you can see how much the timing varies! Long read, but there are some good graphs and charts in here talking about the stock tuning, which is essentially the same from 04.5-07. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104594&highlight=stock+timing+tables
I forgot all about that. Hmm, we still need someone to figure out timing on those things. 13.5 years and we still have nothing lol.

I should make a section for hills, cept that seems like it has too many varying factors. I went towards branson yesterday and measured the grade and came up with 6%. Made a video of it because it always sounds neat going up them, of course driving faster helps strain it :pant: Was 91F out. It starts recording at the bottom of the hill before I start getting into the throttle. No I don't drive like that all the time, I got 24.5mpg on that tank (went 800 miles!) so you know how I drive the rest of the time :thumb1:

• Owner

Well I got to admit ISX is right stay in 4th gear 1:1 ratio set the cruise for 53 MPH (2K RPM's) towing the Jayco and made new record 13.1 MPG when I got home... That climbing a 6% grade with tight corners (25 MPH) in 3rd Gear. Towing a Travel Trailer (GCWR ~15,000) EGT: 600-800*FAmbient Temp: 85FHumidity: 12%Boost: 2-15psiSpeed: 53mphRPM:2000 IAT Was locked at 140*F...