• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

what size injectors for towing

I know this is a dead horse but i need input from anyone that has experience. My current setup is HX35/ht3b, Edge juice (HOT) WAM, JL Machining 240hp injectors, Haisley head gasket with fire rings, ARP studs, 6 spd, SBC 3600 DD , 3.54 ratio. I think I have enough supporting mods for everything I have but I know the JL's are way to big for towing. I can easily stab 1500 in the back in about 3 seconds when I get on the juice. I have towed with this setup some but really have to be on top of it. I been there and done that and now I just want "usability" so I am fixin to order some new injectors from Jacob(diesel auto power) he seems to have some good prices. I have decided to try 150's but I want to know if they will be small enough to keep my foot in it while towing. Some say 175's will be fine but I dont want to do this twice. I'm also considering 125's. just looking for input from anyone that has experience with this. Thanks

I would have said 150 max on your setup anyhow, why in the world did you go with 240 injectors? You got enough fuel to spool about twice the turbo you currently have. I run 150,s and a hrvp44 with a silver 62 and run it with the comp off or on level 1 when towing and I am running at 1200 pretty consistant depending on road and load. I go between OD and drive a lot depending on the road and what I am towing to keep the rpms up and temps down when needed.

I will be towing whatever I hook to it, sometimes a backhoe (15,000 plus the trlr) sometimes a snowmobile trlr, sometimes a 27' 5th wheel and boat, distance really makes no difference to me, as I stated I want to keep my foot in it weather pulling whitebird or bucking the wind. I understand on the long pulls I will have to drive sensibly no matter what, I just dont want to see much over 1300 when pulling hard for imtermittant periods. I already know the 240's are too big, it dont really matter why they are in there, they just are. They are coming out soon. I am just interested in hearring opinions if the 150's are small enough or if I should stick with 125's. I've been told that the 175's should work fine, I dont think they will but that's just my thoughts. Thanks for the input.

The 125 would be the safe bet.You keeping the 240's?

I would have to agree with the above if you want to run it hard with a load as you stated above. The 150's will still get you real hot real quick. But then you will probably have to go back down to stock crossover tubes also as I have read that oversized ones will cause it to run rough with small injectors.

Good point W&F I forgot about the tubes. Its pretty amazing right now, runs smoothe and clean even at idle, It will lope just when releasing the clutch but not bad. I have no use for the J&L 240s and would probly be willing to swap someone for a comparable quality set of 125's or 150's or just sell them outright?

Good point W&F I forgot about the tubes. Its pretty amazing right now, runs smoothe and clean even at idle, It will lope just when releasing the clutch but not bad. I have no use for the J&L 240s and would probly be willing to swap someone for a comparable quality set of 125's or 150's or just sell them outright?

You should keep the 240's, extra injectors are handy to have.

I have a little experience towing things. I think towing distances requires two things: 1. Reliability 2. Fuel mileage. As far as reliabity goes the less power you make the easier on the motor you are. I myself try to balance between enough power to not have to downshift much and how long I want my tranny to last. Fuel mileage is also a big concern if you are getting paid to drive. A 3000 miles cross country trip can cost $900 at 10 mpg and $750 at 12 mpg. It's easy to see that less can be more. I currently have 100's in my truck. I think they get a little less mileage than my 75's did but they get up to sped faster and they pull the hills a lot better. I would be afraid to have a bigger injector than I have. I actually think I might have too big of an injector because I prefer fuel mileage over not having to downshift.

I currently have 100's in my truck. I think they get a little less mileage than my 75's did but they get up to sped faster and they pull the hills a lot better.

Didn't realise that - thought you were running RV275's also ........ what turbo you running Cat - it says jhook in your SIG so a HY35 still ??

true that. can't never have too many parts laying around. I just dont ever plan on using them again so i figured get em gone.

Buy some +150's ....... then you can be sure you are not losing too much from the 240's then trade out the 240's for a set of +100's That way you still have a "spare" set ......... and you can drop down to the 100's if required for EGT etc:thumbup2:

I am very happy with the F1 Mach 1.6 injectors. They can be a bit smokey in low boost situations but once you become adjust to driving with them and make throttle increases more gradual, they rarely smoke. When used with the the Edge EZ the engine is MUCH more responsive and I have to be smooth on the throttle to prevent axle wrap. They did cause a big EGT problem until I installed the BHAF and 5 inch straight pipe exhaust. The F1's would be a good choice for a pretty much stock engine and stock clutch. With the 1.6's and the Edge EZ I can slip the stock clutch currently in my truck if I pull or haul a heavy load and accelerate to fast in 5th and 6th gear. Empty I am OK.