• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

High Idle BOMB COMPLETED!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Owner

Well so far the high idle mod is working flawless... I can enable the high idle at will and select the mode of operation I want.But here is a few things I did find out. In 3 cylinder high idle mode the back 3 cylinders are active and the front 3 cylinder are dead. So if you got a pyro probe in the front 3 cylinder you'll never know how hot it really getting. Like myself mine is mounted in the rear manifold. But to give you all a clue you can grab the front half of the exhaust manifold and it just bare warm to the touch. But the back half could be close to 900*F depending on type of operation...If anyone needs one built let me know I will assemble it for you... :thumbsup

I was following this for awhile, way back when you first started working on it, but kinda lost track.Anyway, can a guy just do the high idle mod without the 3 cyl. warm-up?? I'd definately be interested in just a on-demand high idle. Or do I just need to read ur write-up and educate myself a little??TIA

• Owner

Dang... LOL

But I've got it functioning good now... Selectable 3 cylinder or High idle now... :thumbsup

Posted Image

Switch 1 - ECT sensor fooler. Switch on will cause the ECM to see 123*F regardless of the current engine temp.

Switch 2 - IAT sensor fooler - Switch on will cause the ECM to see either 13*F or 26*F regardless of the current manifold temp.

Switch 3 - Selection of the IAT temp. either 13*F (3 cylinder) or 26*F (high idle)

Ok, still didn't figure out if you can just do the high idle by itself.........I'm guessing that once it is enabled through programming that 3 cyl and high idle will both be active, but....can you just control 1 or the other only??What do the 3 switches control??Are all 3 switches reqired for the high idle feature??

If anyone needs one built let me know I will assemble it for you...

I'll have to get with you on this after Christmas. Mr. Goerend and Christmas time has just about got me tapped out right now :(

• Owner

I'm very interested in having this on my truck, :thumbsup it's currently -22 Celsius here!! `:( I do have a couple of questions though. Does the factory reflash have to be done for this to work and, what would you charge to build one Mike? :confused

Either the TSB or Smarty programmer has to been used to enable the high idle software... Smarty being free and TSB could cost about $100-$120 bucks. PM Sent...

• 1 month later...

i talked to my local dealership yesterday about the software change for the high idle they told me that you cannot flash trucks prior to the 2003 year , is there some information i can go back to them with to show them how to do this

• Owner

i talked to my local dealership yesterday about the software change for the high idle they told me that you cannot flash trucks prior to the 2003 year , is there some information i can go back to them with to show them how to do this

I always love that one! LOL If you can get a hold of a Smarty programmer you can get it for free in less than 30 minutes... As for the dealer they ALWAYS say it CANNOT be done because they never been taught how. But if they read up on the TSB's it all right there... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/high-idle/tsb18-019-01.htm

7. Connect the DRB III to the vehicle without connecting to MDS2 and follow the menu structures it appears below. 8. MAIN MENU - 1998 - 2002 DIAGNOSTICS 9. 1998 - 2002 DIAGNOSTICS - ALL (EXCEPT BELOW) 10. SELECT SYSTEM - 1 ENGINE 11. CONTROLLER TYPE - 1 CUMMINS (ECM/ENGINE) 12. SELECT FUNCTION - 1 MISCELLANEOUS (Misc. is on second page) 13. 3.3 CYLINDER IDLE - Follow the instructions The DRB III will indicate whether the feature is enabled or disabled. 14. Push 1 to Enable, 2 to Disable. 15. You are instructed to cycle the ignition to complete the repair. 16. Press Page Back to Exit.

Pretty simple huh??? :D

• 1 year later...

So I just got off the phone with my dealer, I made my appointment for next Thursday to enable the high idle. I think while i'm doing it I will get them to enable 3 cyl idle also. Now, my father in law was talking to a mechanic at the dealer a couple weeks ago and he claims in my owners manual there should be instructions on how to enable it myself, but if I couldn't figure it out they will do it. I looked through my manual (on disc) and for the life of me I can't see anything on it :shrug:. Anyone else ever see it in their manual? I think maybe he meant a service manual, not owners manual? So before I do this i'll ask here and i'm sure it's been asked out the ying yang so sorry if it has.... 3 cyl idle...will not do any harm to my engine right ?Once high idle is enabled, anyway of using it on a warm engine by pressing cruise or anything or is the IAT fooler the only way ?And..if for some strange reason my Quadzilla high idle ever gets figured out, will that just cancel the factory high idle feature and take over. I think I know it's a yes to that questin but i'm gonna ask it to be certain.Anything else I should be getting them to do on my ECM while i'm there and their into it? I'm a little nervous of screwing anything up on the ECM just be having someone in messing with it :pray:One last thing.... I was just on another forum reading about enabling the PTO high idle. I'm thinking my truck has PTO (not sure) but if it does, is this a feature that possibly you can set high idle by using the cruise and may be the better feature to have enabled so it can be used in warm temps without the use of IAT foolers and such ? Is this a dealer enable feature ? I'm full of questions this morning aren't I :lol:

• Owner

The only problem with Quadzilla is it only high idle... The Dodge Flash is 3 clinder and 6 cylinder both high idle..Combined with a exhaust brake you can create some serious heat quickly for you engine on a cold morning... The software already exist in the ECM but Dodge turned it off. Cummins requested a TSB for nortnern states to prevent engine damage like valve being bent or pushrods being bent... Here is the document.. http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/high-idle/tsb18-019-01.htm

• Staff

I highly recommend this mod for anyone with a second gen!Hi idle is one of the most used features of my truck. Being a 3rd gen all I had to do was ground a pin on the ECM for my manual and enable it with my Smarty. I can manually select between 1100-1500 rpms, regardless of the coolant temp. This feature is great for warming a cold engine, or cooling a warm engine. I also always bump up to 1100 rpms for extended idling (where it can't be avoided), to put a better load on the motor for a more complete combustion. Too bad I can't do 3cyl, would be neat to hear it on a 3rd gen. At first it seemed odd that its the back half of the motor, but then I thought about the firing order 153624, so it would have to be 132 or 564, no other way around it.

So if I am to get this done, and say I was to do your switches to fool the IAT sensor moparman, would that create a situation where the 3 cyl idle would kick in even in the summertime? Not really fussy on having the 3cyl idle going extended periods in the summer if I have my truck idling for long periods of time. Also, like I said in the intial post, has anyone figured out a way to activate it without the switches mod when warm ?:shrug:

• Owner

The only truck that do it without switches is the 3rd Gen trucks but it just high idle... With my mod you can select 3 cylinder or 6 cylinder high idle at will regardless of the outside temp. So what I like about mine is during the hot dayz and got the dobbie crashed out in the back seat I flip on the 6 cylinder high idle and the A/C or MAX A/C and it cools down in the truck really quick because even though the fan isn't completely locked up there is still air moving there the cooler and the compressor is now pumping at good pressure to make it seriously cold! Like everyone in the city uses there block heater for the winter. Well if I'm up at my buddy's ranch there is no power. The last power pole is like 5 miles away... So if I'm up helping out all day its nice to walk out fire up the truck trip the high idle and exhaust brake and get full engine temp in under 10 minutes (170*F worth of coolant). So even on cold days if you forget to trip the switch it will still activate the high idle mod needed for the temperature the IAT sensor sees. :thumbup2: