• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Electric Oil Pump

I am thinking about putting an electric oil pump on my truck just so when I start it, it already has oil pressure. After that the pump can turn off since the mechanical one is now turning. I am just wondering how hard this would be to do. I haven't looked into it much but figured someone on here knew all the pros and cons.

I have heard about people doing that, but I wonder if it will really be worth it. There is actually a thin film of oil remaining on the bearing surfaces when the engine is not running. Most engines get started thousands of times without any prelube and they seem to last a long time.

• Owner

I have heard about people doing that, but I wonder if it will really be worth it. There is actually a thin film of oil remaining on the bearing surfaces when the engine is not running. Most engines get started thousands of times without any prelube and they seem to last a long time.

Yea... CaJ Flynn is proof of that being he crossed the 900K mark... The pre-lube pump was a very popular addon back when I was around DTR. Then kind of disappeared like Scott II air filters...

Yea... CaJ Flynn is proof of that being he crossed the 900K mark... The pre-lube pump was a very popular addon back when I was around DTR. Then kind of disappeared like Scott II air filters...

I bet I have started my truck more times than Caj :lol: I doubt he was starting and stopping every 100 miles.

I am thinking about putting an electric oil pump on my truck just so when I start it, it already has oil pressure. After that the pump can turn off since the mechanical one is now turning. I am just wondering how hard this would be to do. I haven't looked into it much but figured someone on here knew all the pros and cons.

DON'T do it! :nono: These devices sound good on paper but are a source of leaks, endless problems, and aggravation. I bought one to install on my truck but after reading all of the horror stories sold it. If you have some money that is smoking and burning a hole in your pocket, :spend:these have been around for MANY years and are a good product. :thumbup2:http://www.accusump.com/accusump_units.html

DON'T do it! :nono: These devices sound good on paper but are a source of leaks, endless problems, and aggravation. I bought one to install on my truck but after reading all of the horror stories sold it. If you have some money that is smoking and burning a hole in your pocket, :spend:these have been around for MANY years and are a good product. :thumbup2:http://www.accusump.com/accusump_units.html

Ah, there we go. Lots of info on that site. Thanks for the help. I have a huge problem with starting and stopping my truck all the time and I'm sure it would benefit from something like that.

Amsoil has or had,"haven't checked for a while" a prelube pump that mounted on top of the dual remote filter head or could be used as a stand alone prelube pump. Lots of heavy equipment still use it Mainly with Cummins heavy duty engines,They are not overly prone to problems.

sorry, been hunting white tail. here is my :2cents:. ISX is right...(no offense)cajflynn might have less starts on his truck with 900k+ then mine with 195k. the nature of our work is different. extended idling is bad for the motor and MPGs. i always kill the truck if it is going to idle more than 5 min. i have often thought about getting a preluber. i have notice that it seems to take less time to build oil pressure when the truck has been ran in the last 15min then when it sits for more than 6 hrs. it may not be needed for the 15min, but couldn't hurt in either case. i found this a long time ago: http://dodgeram.org/tech/engine/prelube_const.htm but it is just giving you an idea...NOT step by step instructions.

It really wouldn't be that hard to make. Just a tank hooked into any oil port and put a valve on it. Use a check valve so in the morning that 100psi oil (since it is so thick) would be stored at that pressure, then have a bypass around that check valve that also has a valve in it to release it when your cranking.