• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Well if Cummins cant fix it it's doomed to fall of a clif. I took truck to cummins to let them try. Well if I had stock injectors he said they could search for leaks by pressure the system. And there stock injectors are about 500.00 each, thats what he said,I dont know. They did the usual routine stuff, hook up scanner and the usual stuff came up NOTHING. They seemed sure that the crossover tubes where leaking and one may have been. It runs a little diff. but miss is still there. Here is where I am at,new DDP 50 HP injectors, ECM,Apps,crossover tubes, cam sensor, VP Blue Chip, Head rebuilt, Starter, Alternator, water pump, thermostat & sensor, new airdog 150 with quick connects, rotors pads, drums shoes, drive shaft, ujoints, carrier bearing, kyb shocks, tires good, 2 year south bend clutch, edge ez, bd intake, gauges, 5 inch exhaust, power steer pump,ball joints, turbo the oldest thing on truck 4 years. new batts. switched out wire harrness. What you give me for it? lmao One positive thing is he is sure the head gasket not blown. lol I guess I will just drive a truck with a miss for ever. This is a real pisser.You mean this truck cant be fixed?At the end of my rope, I cant see spending another dime. 7K In 8 months.Mapp and ait the only thing not changed.

How does it start? Do you think a small amount air is making a miss?Did you check air dog return line?Hose clamps?

On the flip side just because a part is new dont mean it works perfect.I have had new cam sensor bad.

It is on its second cam sensor, second wire harness, 5th vp, 4th set of inj., 3rd crossover tubes,2nd ecm, 2nd head, 2nd airdog, 2nd fuel lines, 2nd draw straw.

--- Update to the previous post...

Is it just one cylinder all the time or does the miss move around?

Random, all over the map.

There is some software that you can data log all of the sensors while driving. I'm researching & am going to buy an obd2 cable with usb to my laptop. You might play with that. Just google & please post if what results you have. Did Cummins charge for not fixing anything?

• Like 1

There is definitely an electrical gremlin under the hood. Have you checked all the connections under the hood to see if there are any corroded or loose ones? Also, put the truck back to stock and see what happens. I saw one where it would start and run fine then after a couple seconds the truck would dead pedal and keep running even with the key in your hand. It turned out the Edge box was hosed........

I bought my Edge EZ used, so I sent it back to Edge for a refurb. and check out just to be sure before I put it on my truck. The previous owner had really bad smoke problems using this Edge EZ with the Forumula 1 Mach 1.6 injectors that I bought from him as well. Edge checked it out for free and shipped it back to me. Works like a champ. Might be worth having it checked out if you haven't done so already.

It is on its second cam sensor, second wire harness, 5th vp, 4th set of inj., 3rd crossover tubes,2nd ecm, 2nd head, 2nd airdog, 2nd fuel lines, 2nd draw straw.

Sorry Joe :banghead:

Think I am in for a new tranny - so I will be right behind you - $12-13k in 12 mths (including fixes and mods)

Lets get drunk together .......................................

Hope something works out for ya man :thumbup2:

Have you tried removing the Edge EZ to see if that make any difference? Sorry if you have already covered this and I missed it.

I sent edge in and they said it had corrosion so they sent a brand new one for 100.00 fee, I just never hooked it up. It also has switch in the cab for easy 1, 2, 3 power range. Thought that was pretty cool.

There is definitely an electrical gremlin under the hood. Have you checked all the connections under the hood to see if there are any corroded or loose ones? Also, put the truck back to stock and see what happens. I saw one where it would start and run fine then after a couple seconds the truck would dead pedal and keep running even with the key in your hand. It turned out the Edge box was hosed........

Its back to stock pretty much, just ddp 50hp inj.

Sorry Joe :banghead:

Think I am in for a new tranny - so I will be right behind you - $12-13k in 12 mths (including fixes and mods)

Lets get drunk together .......................................

Hope something works out for ya man :thumbup2:

John if I still drank you would have read about this long ago belive me.LOL

Well, since you have it back to stock except for the injectors and you have a random miss that points to electrical.

This is from Blue Chip's site:

ROUGH OR ROLLING IDLE OR INTERMITTENT MISS AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS AT LESS THAN FULL THROTTLE

This is almost always the computer on the top of the injection pump, especially if it only happens warm or hot, as long as there is no air in the fuel and no codes pertaining to Crankshaft or Camshaft sensors are apparent. If those codes exist, replace those components. It can also be a sticky piston in the rotor. By now you know that any of this means REPLACE THE VP44!

It sounds to me like you have a problem INSIDE the VP. I suggest you contact Blue Chip and see what their techs say.

Well, since you have it back to stock except for the injectors and you have a random miss that points to electrical.

This is from Blue Chip's site:

ROUGH OR ROLLING IDLE OR INTERMITTENT MISS AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS AT LESS THAN FULL THROTTLE

This is almost always the computer on the top of the injection pump, especially if it only happens warm or hot, as long as there is no air in the fuel and no codes pertaining to Crankshaft or Camshaft sensors are apparent. If those codes exist, replace those components. It can also be a sticky piston in the rotor. By now you know that any of this means REPLACE THE VP44!

It sounds to me like you have a problem INSIDE the VP. I suggest you contact Blue Chip and see what their techs say.

I read that yesterday, could be something. I will call tomorrow. But it has done this with other vp's as well. Would this be picked up with a scanner?

I read that yesterday, could be something. I will call tomorrow. But it has done this with other vp's as well. Would this be picked up with a scanner?

You mean to tell me you stuck thousands into it and have never paid 60-80 bucks if that much for a Dealer "DRB" dodges electronic diagnostic tool annalysys? To answer your question Yes it being a Dodge dealers DRB would have the best chance of anything to isolate it.

Poor JL...Man i feel your pain...your luck is like mine it seems...if it were raining soup i would be the only one holding a "fork":(

Richie

Just for the record the plug is damn near worn out from being pluged in. Scanner will not show anything, if that where the case it would have been repaired 2 years ago.

Just for the record the plug is damn near worn out from being pluged in. Scanner will not show anything, if that where the case it would have been repaired 2 years ago.

Was it a a Dodge dealer and hooked to a DRB analyzer while it was missing? Scan tools will not help, it needs to be hooked to a data analyzer with a data logger so it can be palyed back through the event and they would be able to look at what every single electronic device is reading during the actual miss. Looking for codes is worthless that is why it needs to be data logged for an issue like this.:smart:

Was it a a Dodge dealer and hooked to a DRB analyzer while it was missing? Scan tools will not help, it needs to be hooked to a data analyzer with a data logger so it can be palyed back through the event and they would be able to look at what every single electronic device is reading during the actual miss. Looking for codes is worthless that is why it needs to be data logged for an issue like this.:smart:

I know cummins didnt have one, I will check next time I am at Dodge. Thanks