• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Plumbing the BHAF

I want to install the BHAF further onto the fender than typical. I like this heat slick heat shield. Furnace duct heat shield: http://www.directcon.net/drkayak/Ram/Heat%20Shield But further onto the fender. But then the OEM flexi intake tube will be too short & angled wrong. I found rubber eblows... but that would require 4 more clamps & 2 metal or plastic tubing pieces. I was wanting a clean install. Rubber elbows in all sizes: http://store.airflo.com/nextpage.html Nice Custom Metal extension elbow: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-performance-parts-discussion/143145-bhaf-7.html but is not something I could do myself. http://www.amazon.com/Spectre-9798-Degree-Polished-Aluminum/dp/B001OMK4R2/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2AHHC3DE5ITYS&colid=1QKBZCL48WMAO Well, I guess I can manage a couple of hose clamps. LOL! A Spectre part. A mandrel bent piece of tubing would be delightful, if it would fit... but I don't see any in my price range. Or does one just hit the local plumbing supply? I have found additional sources. Summit Racing offers some Spectre intake parts... I found even more Spectre items on Amazon. This is going to take some careful test fitting, measuring & by guess & by gosh, but I'm closer. Your thoughts are appreciated. Russ

Yes, something like that!

When the downpour stops, I'm going to play with the location & angles some more. I found the foam between the cowel rubber & the hinge has deteriorated & I'll have to do something there, lest it dump rain on the BHAF. The first thing that comes to mind is self stick foam door gasket... however many layers are necessary. Still coming down with buckets on it, wind pushing it. No complaints, it won't requiring shoveling.

Russ

--- Update to the previous post...

I had been planning to add an OuterWears Prefilter to a future order... but the mice have trashed all the underhood insulation (I removed all the attractive mouse habitat on the hood itself a while ago)... but nothing is safe out there. I'm thinking that the BHAF itself is screened... If I put an OuterWears over it... I bet it would get all chewed up. HATE DEM CRITTERS!!

NO, I'll not provide more expensive nesting material for rodents if I can help it. I thought of screening the BHAF but that kind of defeats the purpose. Better I should figure this out now than after the money's spent.

Russ

I have been running a BHAF for the last NINE years. All I did was put the hose right on the end of the BHAF and ran it. No outerwears, innerwears, or underwears either! Not even a heat shield. I have not had one single problem with water getting into the filter and no snow either! Just put the snout right on the hose and run it.

Another thing to do is take a piece of 1X6 about 8 to 9 inches long and place it on the studs sticking up. Tap on the board with a hammer to get indentations of the studs. Drill the indentations out with a drill bit about the same size as the studs. Put the 1x6 back on the studs and tap it down with the hammer. You now have a surface that protects the BHAF from rubbing on the studs and A/C tubing. I did that a couple of years ago so I forgot the actual sizes........

:smart:or get a die grinder and a cut off wheel and get rid of them!!:smart:

Just bought the filter in the illustration. I shopped all over & got it for 41.01 to my door. Having the interchange list was a huge help for searching the different brands & part numbers. Thanks, Mike!

Santa's going to bring me an elbow.

Russ

ok russ...where did you get the filter from for that cheap delivered?:drool::drool:

Yeap...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2243[/ATTACH]

Looks just like the air filter on my Kubota tractor

Yes, something like that!

When the downpour stops, I'm going to play with the location & angles some more. I found the foam between the cowel rubber & the hinge has deteriorated & I'll have to do something there, lest it dump rain on the BHAF. The first thing that comes to mind is self stick foam door gasket... however many layers are necessary. Still coming down with buckets on it, wind pushing it. No complaints, it won't requiring shoveling.

Russ

I had been planning to add an OuterWears Prefilter to a future order... but the mice have trashed all the underhood insulation (I removed all the attractive mouse habitat on the hood itself a while ago)... but nothing is safe out there. I'm thinking that the BHAF itself is screened... If I put an OuterWears over it... I bet it would get all chewed up. HATE DEM CRITTERS!!

NO, I'll not provide more expensive nesting material for rodents if I can help it. I thought of screening the BHAF but that kind of defeats the purpose. Better I should figure this out now than after the money's spent.

Russ

I had the same problem. I removed the air filter box and found that the screen was missing from the intake air which allowed the roadants to make a large nest under the filter inside the filter housing [air box]

The elbow is so I can get the BHAF further onto the fender. Yes, it's an extra cost. I'm going to try the furnace duct heat shield & think I'll need the elbow to make it work. I hope it's worth the extra cost, but I've had the time to shop hard on pricing. I got the BHAF from ebay motors. First I googled the part numbers then when one search took me to ebay motors, I searched Fram CA6818 (or Wix 46637 or Donaldson ECB085011) again. I compared the full delivered prices in each case. http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from=R40&_trksid=p3872.m39.l1313&_nkw=Fram+CA6818&_sacat= Costs: 29.99 + 11.03 S&H = 41.02 :) B & C Auto parts warehouse (reciept) 570-658-2052 Recently found another mouse nest in an ATV... belt housing & air cleaner. (Dear wifee blew the belt in the ATV. I didn't 'say' much (smoke rising from ears) but she bought the new belt. I have the belt on but haven't been able to get that cover back on yet. So cold that the metal sticking to my hands.) They've left the stock airbox alone in the CTD but have trashed the insulation in all our vehicles. I've screened the other air cleaners. They've left the air cleaner alone on the JD tractor but have trashed the seat backrest.

• Like 1

Another thing to do is take a piece of 1X6 about 8 to 9 inches long and place it on the studs sticking up. Tap on the board with a hammer to get indentations of the studs. Drill the indentations out with a drill bit about the same size as the studs. Put the 1x6 back on the studs and tap it down with the hammer. You now have a surface that protects the BHAF from rubbing on the studs and A/C tubing. I did that a couple of years ago so I forgot the actual sizes........

Thats actually a good idea. I have had my BHAF just sitting on heavy cardboard for the last 10 mths - been meaning to fix it with something a bit more resistant - but no problems so far :)

I'm going to try to take this furnace duct heat shield to the next level. I'm going to try to use some roll aluminum I have on hand & make a double wrap about 3/4 around (~16" + more for the platform), leaving the side to the fender open. The push / pull should help to keep a air space to insulate the shells & besides look sexy. I'm planning some kind of base under this... perhaps plexi which I have a thicker used piece on the bench.

I'm going to try to take this furnace duct heat shield to the next level. I'm going to try to use some roll aluminum I have on hand & make a double wrap about 3/4 around (~16" + move for the platform), leaving the side to the fender open. The push / pull should help to keep a air space to insulate the shells & besides took sexy. I'm planning some kind of base under this... perhaps plexi which I have a thicker used piece on the bench.