• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The NV 5600 can be a but kicker for even experienced tranny builders. From personal experience working at a tranny shop I can say they arre a pain. Definately not for the unskilled. The shift rail system was not thought out very well on New Ventures part.:banghead:

Would you mind expanding on that shift rail thing you just posted????:shrug: We all know that the NV5600 is no longer manufactured, but this is the first I've read/heard of shift rail problems. Please explain!!!!:drool: I've got 137,000 on mine without a problem save for a clutch. One of my best buds has an '03 with 290,000 with no problems save for the clutch, so what gives.............what in more detail are you talking about????!!!

i am putting a new clutch in my 02. i will have the tranny in my hand. it is pushing itself out of 1st and rev. when backing up or pulling forward, when i let of of the throttle something is pushing it out of gear. you can feel it in the shifter, like i was on the otherside pushing it out of gear. has anyone had experience with this?

--- Update to the previous post...

is it possible for a bad pilot bearing or input shaft bearing to cause this?

then mechanic said the tranny was more than he could tackle. he also said there was no slop in the input or output shaft. he installed the new clutch set the and i had to let him put the tranny on as is. dont have enough time or :broke: at this time. i will just have to be careful with it until i can afford a rebuild. gonna pick it tomorrow.

then mechanic said the tranny was more than he could tackle. he also said there was no slop in the input or output shaft. he installed the new clutch set the and i had to let him put the tranny on as is. dont have enough time or :broke: at this time. i will just have to be careful with it until i can afford a rebuild. gonna pick it tomorrow.

got it back today. clutch is a little jerky, chatters a little. gears shift as smooth as silk. still pushes out of 1st and rev, but differantly. not sure how do describe it but it is not the same. AGoing to pu a new shift tower in and see what happens.

got it back today. clutch is a little jerky, chatters a little. gears shift as smooth as silk. still pushes out of 1st and rev, but differantly. not sure how do describe it but it is not the same. AGoing to pu a new shift tower in and see what happens.

Seriously man save that money for the real fix. if it was the shift tower you would have problems with every gear.

BlueOx i wouldnt say you have been overuled but from what i've seen typically a worn out plastic bushing on the shift tower gives you a sloppy tower but wont let it pop out of gear. Now i now the the NV4500 is a different animal from the NV5600 but my NV4500 was falling out of 5th when the tranny was unloaded come to find out the slip collar was wore out. just my :2cents: boss.:)

i dont know who got to over rule who, but i did order a shift tower. at 90 bucks it aint a bad thing to try. a tranny overhaul is going to is going to make that look like chump change. so we will see if it helps. the clutch change has made the tranny sift as smooth as silk. the friction surface of the old clutch still had a ton of ware left on it. it looked like it still had a 100k left on it, based othe 220k i already had on it. not sure why changing the clutch made that much differance but it did. pretty sure it is something internal, but i will throw a shift tower at it and see what happens.

BlueOx i wouldnt say you have been overuled but from what i've seen typically a worn out plastic bushing on the shift tower gives you a sloppy tower but wont let it pop out of gear. Now i now the the NV4500 is a different animal from the NV5600 but my NV4500 was falling out of 5th when the tranny was unloaded come to find out the slip collar was wore out. just my :2cents: boss.:)