• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Heat Shield for the BHAF

Well, it actually changes depending on a bunch of factors. Below freezing, it is basically the same temp as ambient. As it gets warmer, you start to see a change. I think around 70F ambient I was seeing a 5-10F difference for temps on the air filter. At 90F I am thinking 10-15F difference. Now towing actually makes it spike a little, getting up to 25F difference. Not so much in the winter but at 70F ambient was where I was seeing 20-25F difference. Running a constant high EGT makes the exhaust manifold hotter and it radiates to the air filter. My temp probe was zip tied near the front/top of the BHAF.

• Like 2

Thanks for the pictures. I'm playing with my BHAF install now... I don't seem to have quite as much room as you do. I think SOMETHING is needed to stabilize the filter. My problems are entirely that my experimental set up is too floppy.

Hm. I have not had any issues with the EGTs getting very high even towing. About the most I have seen was about 1250* for brief periods and about 900* under normal towing. Maybe the turbo I have (HX35) moves enough air?

I love your "high-tech" shield there Mike!!!!:thumb1::thumb1: Heck, if I didn't have any "handy" bungees, I would've used "duct tape"!!!!:lmao2::lmao2:On a serious note, on my Fram Boost 2 intake (rebadged AEM Brute Force) I think the only thing the heat shield does is keep the "spray" off the filter element when driving in rain or wet roads or wet snow etc.!!

• Owner

I love your "high-tech" shield there Mike!!!!:thumb1::thumb1: Heck, if I didn't have any "handy" bungees, I would've used "duct tape"!!!!:lmao2::lmao2:

It might be a Redneck setup but it works... The bungee I added to keep the filter from banging around under the hood. Washboard roads really do make it hop... :doh:

Hm. I have not had any issues with the EGTs getting very high even towing. About the most I have seen was about 1250* for brief periods and about 900* under normal towing. Maybe the turbo I have (HX35) moves enough air?

Funny you should mention that. Just for testing and fun I had a short 3-4 mile grade at 6% to climb over with the TT cruise set at 60 MPH and it would hold 1,100*F EGT's at about 32 PSI boost with the Edge Comp wide open (5x5)

• 7 years later...
On 3/25/2011 at 10:34 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Here is my version... post-2-138698176677_thumb.jpg post-2-138698176668_thumb.jpg post-2-138698176663_thumb.jpg

I there a pattern for this somewhere?  I can't seem to fit my BHAF into the K&N shield.  I would like to make one of these but a pattern would sure be nice.  I saw a link to one somewhere on this site but the link was not working.

Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

Mine was made from an old Idaho road sign.

That's fun.  I'm sure it made your truck go faster.

I don't have good tools for aluminum.  I may do an experiment and use your template to cut up a fire-resistant trash can and put some fire proof mat on the side where the turbo is.

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Jigsaw... That's all I used.Then went to a friends house to use his brake to fold the 90* angle. Sheet metal trash can should be interesting...

Actually it's a plastic trash can.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007G61OJM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with some heat mat applied on the turbo side.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heat-Shield-Mat-Belly-Fairing-Motorcycle-Insulation-for-hood-Fiberglass-Cotton/192390551180?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

You've got my attention. I'd like to see this go through and be tested with summer heat. You'll be the first with a plastic heat shield. 

Sounds like a fun thing to try for sure.

Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

Just on the side of cautious nature, I would keep a fire extinguisher in the truck. Keep an eye on it as the weather warms up. If it starts to deform you'll most likely call it a fail. I'm still curious if it can be done with that kind of heat on that turrbine.

For sure.  A fire extinguisher is a must.  How hot does the turbine housing get?  The factory air box was aplastic right?