• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New EcoBoost engine

volkswagon

Just wondering if anybody here knows anything about these engines in the f-150? Dad is shopping for a vehicle and we test drove one yesterday. The power is unbelievable! He's looking for something to replace his car and likes the room inside, and handling of a pickup on our country roads. So mostly wondering how the mpg's are in real world driving. With the price of gas that's a major factor in vehicle buying:doh:

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at these yesterday, more hp/tq and better mileage than the new 5.0. I wonder what the price difference is in the 2?

It's a $1000 option. Ya they rate the fuel mileage better than the 5.0 but my bro in-law has a 2011 5.0 and he's getting better mileage than we got on the test drive with the v6. Having said that tho he did say that his mileage has gone up since the truck was new.

• 1 month later...

Check this out! :pant: I found a little excerpt on wikipedia about this, dug a little more and found a bigger article. They are thinking about making that 5.0 V8 an ecoboost, which as you know the V6 is twin turbo, and so shall be the 5.0."A recent report by thedetroitbureau.com states that a source close to the situation has told them that Ford Motor Company is "considering using the EcoBoost (turbo) technology on a modified V8" to serve as a replacement powerplant for the aging supercharged 5.4L that currently resides in the Shelby GT500. This probably doesn't come as much of a surprise to our daily visitors as we reported early last month about an article on Pickuptrucks.com that said basically the same thing. According to that report we're told to "look for a twin turbo 5.0L V8" making its debut in the 2012 Shelby GT500. The EcoBoost V8 is said to be code named "Road Runner" which is pretty humorous considering that the naturally aspirated 5.0L making its debut in the 2011 Mustang GT is dubbed "Coyote" and as we all know the only thing that could beat the Coyote was the Road Runner. It also points to the possibility that the Road Runner is the same basic motor with the EcoBoost system grafted on. Another little interesting tidbit came from Autoblog who disclosed that when a few Ford execs were questioned about the possibility of EcoBoost V8 Mustang most remained silent while one cracked a smile and asked "Who told you that?" Take that for what its worth. So assuming it comes to fruition what could we expect from such a beast? Well the 2010 Taurus SHO, which makes 365hp from it's EcoBoost V6, is said to be capable of up to 600hp with tuning and more boost. If that little 3.5L can muster those numbers then it probably wouldn't take much for a 5.0L V8 with a similar turbo system to easily break the 600 horsepower mark. With that said we think its more realistic to expect around 550hp, enough to one-up the current GT500, but not too much to concern the lawyers."

I wouldn't buy one of these things...........yet. Need more time and proof...........here's why........ For the last 10 or so years, Ford hasn't been able to procure or produce a "TURBO" diesel that's been worth a crap. Now they want them Ford Kool-aid drinkers to buy this???? A light weight gasser engine, twin turbo, up to 600hp. I can almost guarantee that it's not designed/built "enough" to be a durable high mileage engine.Do you need to pull the cab on this one to work on it!!:lmao::doh: