• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need advise, small generator

I've got a decent sized generator in the barn... Honda 6500... it needs to be serviced but we decided that was too much generator for our needs. NO AC applances. I guess 2000 would have been better so we could run the refridge on AC and charge batteries. We don't run the AC & have no microwave. Really the trailer is set up to run on the bank of 12V batteries, as long as they last.i did pick up one neat item at WM... a gas funnel with a float so you can stop pouring gas before it floods over the top. Too bad it doesn't seal so you could lift it off & back onto the gas can, but it'll do.Mike, I was scared of brands I didn't know. I'll be interested in how yours holds up.Russ

• Owner

Yeah I was looking for a small generator that was strong enough to handle at least the A/C or microwave. Neither MoparMom or myself want to be in paid RV park pack side by side with another RV. Done that a few times now and always got to worry about "Am I bothering the neighbors?" Hence with that we'll find our own plays along the road and just stop. So since that rolling box (we call a RV) is rather poorly insulated and you know if it sits in the sun in the summer its going to get hot so it would be nice to have enough power to do A/C... The rest of the time just run batteries for everything else... Seems to be American Based company. http://www.allpoweramerica.com/ I've never dealt with them either but I'll give it a shot... As for the Honda's they are nice generator but OMG the price! :broke:

That genny is very similar to mine. It is not as quiet as a Honda, but it is quiet enough to stand next to and have a conversation standing next to it without raising your voice. I won't run it at night in a campground, but it has run all night in the bed of my truck while I sleep.

The noise was definately a consideration for me as one use is camping in the parking area of our re-enactments... I don't want spill over noise to infultrate the primitive area & spoil the event for others. I settled on running the generator on the opposite side of the camper. I did run it into the evening... but this particular event had a freezer on a trailer to sell ice & ran their own larger Honda generator all day just beyond the entrance (off at night).

• Staff

Depending on the a/c unit installed on your TT that generator will not run it. Unless you have a HE version or 9K BTU version, both of which are not OEM installed on any TT I have ever seen. For a 13.5K BTU a/c with a good hard start cap you need a min of 2400 max and 2000 running. 1400w of continuous power is only 11 amps. A 13.5K BTU a/c can draw over 15 amps, not to mention the draw from the converter and any other incidentals. Lastly, I highly recommend the inverter units, cleaner power and MUCH quieter...

I highly recommend the inverter units, cleaner power and MUCH quieter...

I agree 100%! My cheapie generator is tough on electronics. According my meter it is a 120 cycles instead of 60. Digital clocks don't keep time real well that way.........