• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Taking out the 2" level...

• Staff

I have been toying with the idea of dropping the front of my truck for a while now. I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a 1" spacer from Top Gun Customz this morning. I'll probably install it in the next few weeks when I do a diff/trans/xcase fluid change. I like the 2" level for 2 big reasons, oil pan clearance and a lower tailgate lip. I don't like the 2" when loaded because it takes more air in the bags that I need to keep the level stance, 15 psi this past weekend was barely enough and I had maybe 1200 lbs of cargo/tongue weight, where if the front were 1" lower I could get by with 5-10 psi in the bags. I also don't like how the front axle is off center, and don't want to pony up for an adj tracbar. The 1" level will still keep my oil pan hidden above the axle tube, have the tailgate lower than stock and not require me to adjust my hitches, and provide a little more tire/firewall clearance for chains. So if anyone needs/wants a 2" level for a 94-curr 4wd truck I'll have one shortly.

I've never, ever been a fan of leveling kits. More specifically; spacers only.............this IMHO should essentially be called the "Death Wobble Starter Kit"!!!!!Get rid of that thing. I like the "rake" of the stock truck.

• Staff

I have ran 4 different sets of tires with the spacer and have never even had a hit of what I read described as "death wobble". My steering is true, and tight.. (thou I need to replace the BJ's, I am getting a hint of right pull in the last 7K miles)I would much rather have a 1" progressive rate spring, but they aren't offered and I don't want them bad enough to pay for custom ones. I like a little level for the few reasons I stated, the rake does look good but the oil pan is way too low for my liking, and the tail gate is a bonus (At 6'4" it doesn't effect me much).I've had level kits on most vehicles I own/owned and prefer the look over stock.. it sets them apart. But function dictates I drop this one to only a 1" level.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Staff

I got the 1" installed, and have had it on for about 2,200 miles now. About 1/2 of them are towing, hauling, or both. I am much happier with the 1". The truck still has a taller look to it and stands apart from a stock rake, but there is a good deal of rake now and I like it. I am able to use about 1/2 of the air in the bags, or less, when loaded and the truck stays level or slightly raked. I am able to allow the rear suspension to drop 1-1.5" when loaded which really improved the ride/handling. With the 2" level I never sat right with a load, even with very full bags. A couple things that I didn't consider before but are pluses are the engine bay is easier to access, even at my 6'4" height, the kids can climb in easier, and best of all the ride is SOOO much smoother.. I guess that whole control arm parallel to the ground thing is true :banghead:. The receiver did rise a little, as did the tailgate but nothing crazy. I lowered my W/D hitch one hole and the TT is more level than it was before.I didn't realize how much the 2" stance didn't agree with me until I put the 1" in and am always smiling when I look at the truck.. I think the wife is tired of hearing me comment on it!I highly recommend the 1" to anyone wanting a little taller stance.

• Staff

You'll need to update your build thread "current pic"! :thumb1:

Yup.. I guess I need to take a few!

Here is the level spacer installed.

Posted Image

The other thing I was worried about, and the main reason I put the 2" level on the day I bought it, is oil pan clearance. There just isn't enough stock for my liking.

1" still has plenty!

Posted Image