• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

Sign in to follow this  
Dave3500

Rust repair patches!

The only rust out spot on my truck is the LF fender so I cut out the rust & butt welded in some 16G metal patches. I need to get behind the plastic fender liner to get some paint & under coat.How do I pop out the plastic retainers. Mine look like they have rivits, so after I pull 'em they're probably toast right? Just cut the heads? Where do I get good ones that hold this well? I bought others that just slide in and are like shredded but don't really hold well. What do you all use & get them?I used those cheapie ones for my stock air filter cover base & they don't really hold that well! I don't what my liner falling while I'm driving!Thanks,Dave

Try pushing the center in, it should go in about 1/8" or so, and then pulling them out carefully. You might need to use a screwdriver to push the center in. If you are careful you should be able to reuse them.

I don't know if these are the same. Dodge used some plastic "pop rivits" they call "retainer" part number 34201631. I bought some (dated 11.5.01) then discovered the center was too big for a conventional pop rivet tool... they look to be about 1/4" D X 1 1/4" long. I'd suggest installing an anchor or a blind nut & using a screw. I still have 5 in a package.