• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My First 3rd Gen

When I set out to buy a truck I didnt plan on finding what I did. She is sharp, been garage kept sence it was new in 05. The guy was totally a neat freak I mean not even a speck of dirt anywhere. His wife came back from the grocery store while we where looking at the truck and she unloads the groceries and starts cleaning the Lincoln navigator :cookoo: all that was there was groceries it's like she just hauled a load of wood or something.Her Lincoln was a 98 and it looked like a 2010.Anyway she has 38k on the clock, 6k miles a year:lmao: can you see me welding out of this truck:clap: I gave 24k and it list for 27, I belive it could bring 29 just on how clean it is and low miles. Anyway it's a auto trans, so who do I get a valve body from and do I need tourqe converter? What is this I hear about a solenoid inside the trans that needs to be replaced? And what do I run for air filter looks a little tight for BHAF. Does this exhaust have a catalytic converter or is it a resonator. It needs new batts, is there anything I need to be cautious about taking these out? I mean just breaking the power supply. And what is your thoughts on two stroke oil?I hammered on it a little and it rolls a little blackish/brown smoke, is this normal? I had to clean the rear fender after about two hunderd miles it wasnt bad just a little dirty.

Very nice looking truck.

"auto trans, so who do I get a valve body from and do I need tourqe converter"

Why do you want to change out the valve body and torque converter? The only issues with the 48RE are the OD solenoid and governor pressure solenoid. If you start to notice the trans jumping back and froth form first to second you need to change out the GPS and when you are in there change the ODS at the same time.

Does this exhaust have a catalytic converter or is it a resonator.

Yes it has a Cat, in 04.5 all CTD Rams got a 4" exhaust with a Cat.

Air filter can be upgraded but is not needed. I changed mine with a AEM Brute Froce HD intake system but the new testing that is out there shows the stock air cleaner with the noise baffle removed flows as good and in some cases better then the after market systems. It also picks up it's air from out side the engine compartment unlike the aftermarket systems. If I had it to do over I would still be running the stock system and saved myself $400

The guy was totally a neat freak I mean not even a speck of dirt anywhere. His wife came back from the grocery store while we where looking at the truck and she unloads the groceries and starts cleaning the Lincoln navigator Posted Image all that was there was groceries it's like she just hauled a load of wood or something.

So whats wrong with taking pride in your vehicles? I wash the door jams and door frames once a week and wax them 2X a year. If this makes me a neat freak then I will wear that badge proudly, My truck has 120K and looks as good as the day I picked it up from the dealer.

Is that a Nav radio?

Don

Yes it has Navigation, but it only has the east coast CD the central and west coast he must have kept.And as far as neat freak goes I have him beat at the moment :lol: I dont let the dust settle on it, got a towel in hand keeping it clean.As far as valve body a tourqe converter go, thats just what I have heard. I like what you have to say it makes me fill like maybe it will last.And how do I disable the key dinger? That drives me nuts.So does anyone run 2 stroke with these trucks, reason I ask is I have ran it for about 2 years in my 2nd gen with good results.Noise baffle, I guess I will go look again. In case I dont see it , where's it located?Thanks Joe

Remove the air inlet tube from the turbo and the air box, you will find a noise silencer near the air box side I think, it could also be in the outlet end of the air box, it will just pull out. You will notice that with it removed your turbo will spoil up fast and you will hear the turbo whistle also. Look on E-Bay for the missing CD's for your radio.Don

• Like 1

• Staff

Congrats! I couldn't tell you much about the auto, but most recommend a converter and a valve body. Here is my .02 on intake setups.... In the sub 450 rwhp range there isn't anything better than the stock setup, and with a few mods it can be a real performer. Air Filter: Run the OEM 4” Pleat filter, PN 53034249AA Airaid MIT: Better throttle response, quicker turbo spool, better sound GDP Intake Horn: Better throttle response, quicker turbo spool, lower intake air temps. Home Depot CAI: Cooler intake air, better flow at high boost If you have an 04.5-07 be sure to leave the directional vanes in the lower 90* intake elbow, they don’t effect flow and Holset claims they help the turbo operate up to 30% more efficient. All of these mods cost less than a standard CAI, and will out perform them. My IAT s are 6-12* over ambient under normal cruise with those mods, where stock they were 10-20*.

• Like 1

I change the filter and fluid every 30k miles. I am towing most of the time so I don't accelerate all the quickly. I use a triple disc tc and and a shift kit. I haven't done anything to the 05 yet. I have been reading a bunch just like you. I don't see how the 47re and 48 could be all that different if you can interchange a lot of the parts.

• Staff

Remove the air inlet tube from the turbo and the air box, you will find a noise silencer near the air box side I think, it could also be in the outlet end of the air box, it will just pull out. You will notice that with it removed your turbo will spoil up fast and you will hear the turbo whistle also. Look on E-Bay for the missing CD's for your radio. Don

The commonly removed silencer ring is the one that is attached to the turbo with a snap ring. The vanes on the turbo side of the intake tube are a good thing, and the X vanes in the center section are for noise and don't do much to the flow... the ridged siding is what messes with flow and needs a new piece like the MIT I listed to fix that.

Ok maybe thats what it's called. Follow your intake tube from the filter and where it makes a turn down to the turbo there is a plastic tube about 4" round and 8-9" long and has baffling that looks like a X inside with small holes. I ordered one instead of taking it apart.

• Staff

The silencer ring is in the turbo on all OEM turbos, unless removed by a previous owner.

The baffles in the intake tube are in addition to the silencer ring.

The 03-04 vs 04.5-07 tube are a little different but serve the same purpose and the silencer ring does the same thing, thou possibly different sized based on different sized turbos.

This is a HE341 (03-04) but it shows the ring installed, and you can see the snap ring. If I still had my stock tur bo/ring I would post a pic of it.

Installed

Posted Image

Removed

Posted Image

And this is the baffle in the middle.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Removing the ring does nothing for performance, only sound.. Where replacing the center section with a MIT or something similar effects sound and performance.

Yes removing the X baffle is a PITA, normally breaks, and really does nothing for the disturbed airflow. The MIT is a much better way to go.

And yes the silencer ring is still installed with the MIT installed, so if you want you can remove it too.

• Like 2