• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Low power, some smoke, rough idle

Drove the truck into work this morning and everything was perfectly normal. Left work at 5, it fired up even more quickly than usual, with just the tiniest bump of the key, and seemed to be idling fine. Backed out of the parking space fine, and it wasn't til I pulled out of the parking lot that I noticed it sounded off. And then it started chugging, forcing me to shift it into neutral and keep the revs around 1200 to keep it alive. I pulled into the nearest parking lot to see what I could see, thinking maybe one of the intercooler boots blew off or something, but they looked fine. I tried revving it with the throttle cable, and it builds revs pretty quick, and only as it really starts going does the problem make itself apparent. I managed to limp the 9 miles home at under 35mph (easier thanks to stupid traffic) running like crap the whole way. The smoke was only the initial part of the trip, while the motor was still cold. I have no check engine light, and the only codes are P0500 and P1693. I have had 3 APPS-related codes in the last few months, which have gone away as quickly as they've come up. Thoughts?

Drove the truck into work this morning and everything was perfectly normal. Left work at 5, it fired up even more quickly than usual, with just the tiniest bump of the key, and seemed to be idling fine. Backed out of the parking space fine, and it wasn't til I pulled out of the parking lot that I noticed it sounded off. And then it started chugging, forcing me to shift it into neutral and keep the revs around 1200 to keep it alive. I pulled into the nearest parking lot to see what I could see, thinking maybe one of the intercooler boots blew off or something, but they looked fine. I tried revving it with the throttle cable, and it builds revs pretty quick, and only as it really starts going does the problem make itself apparent. I managed to limp the 9 miles home at under 35mph (easier thanks to stupid traffic) running like crap the whole way. The smoke was only the initial part of the trip, while the motor was still cold. I have no check engine light, and the only codes are P0500 and P1693. I have had 3 APPS-related codes in the last few months, which have gone away as quickly as they've come up. Thoughts?

Any work done recently?:shrug:

Here's a video of my APPS voltage test:

--- Update to the previous post...

So I pulled the APPS off tonight, and after tapping on it a couple times, I put everything back together and it worked perfectly fine - for about 15 seconds, and then it started doing the same thing again. It's intermittently going between dead pedal and rough running and normal running right now, so I'm like 99.9% sure it's the APPS. In those first 15 seconds I was able to smoke the tires, so I don't believe it's the VP. I went ahead and ordered Timbo's APPS, so I should have it Tuesday or Wednesday. :neutral: