• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Door Dinger

It's a risky habit that I have... leaving the key in while I'm in & out of the truck nearby. What I do is pull the key half out of the switch. The Ding stops. However, you run the risk of locking yourself out of the truck by accident. I did so pumping fuel a couple of town away from home. You know how my legs are bad, I must have bumped the door button getting out. Some people, smarter than me, carry a spare key in their wallet. I have a hidden key... I drilled out to 1/4" the round hole on a duplicate all metal key. I removed a license plate... taped the key to the back. Screwed the plate back on with straight slot screws. It does not show with the plate inplace... and I used really long screws (anybody who wants to unscrew my plate is going to be there a very long time). The day I locked myself out... I could have borrowed a straight screw driver or I used a quarter to unscrew the plate fully, get the door open & put the plate back. I try to remember to hit the power unlocks to unlock both sides before getting out to pump fuel.It had been a long time since I was locked out of a vehicle. There was something rattling around in the trunk of my RoadRunner... I fixed the rattle & as I was slamming the trunk I realized the key was in there. I stood out in the falling snow for 2 hours before my Dad got home from the airport, picking up my sister... in those days before cell phones.

I locked my self out a couple years a go. When i realized what I had done I look in the window and sitting on the console is my fulll set of keys and my spare was laying beside them.:doh: I had just taken it out of my wallet moments before to retrieve something and lexft it there on the console. I ususally try to always lock the truck with my fob and nothing else, but some days are better than others,

The reason I started power unlocking is it unlocks both sides, so if Mr Clumsy screws up & locks the driver's door I'm not standing out in the snow. LOL! Though I would have to walk around the truck. Sometimes, it's no big deal but too often my legs are just rubber.

• Staff

We had a car once that would automatically unlock all doors if you shut the door locked. You had to shut the door unlocked and lock it with the keys and then all doors would lock automatic. Now that is a smart car.

Very many years ago... I worked at a summer camp on an island in a lake. Vehicles were left at the landing by the general store... though obiviously there was no overnight security. My RoadRunner was parked next to my buddies hot Mustang. He returned from his day off & asked if I'd bumped his car as there were scrapes that he could not account for. I had not had my day off that week so the minor damage was unexplained. My next day off, I found all my tires flat, sitting on the rims. I retrieved my scuba tanks & blew the tires up, luckily they were not damaged & still seated on the rims.His next day off, he finds MAJOR damage & calls the Police. Only to discover there was a warrent out for him for felony hit & run with injuries. It was pretty impossible to sneak off the island without someone knowing (we could leave... 20 minutes by canoe... after hours but someone else would have to be with our campers).It turned out the local kids had been 'borrowing' his car... and Lord knows how many others... by finding their hidden keys. He said Gee, I thought I left more gas than that a couple of times but thought I was mistaken. Except for his wrecked car... the Police were satisfied... not sure if / how he got it fixed. Presumeably my flat tires were revenge for not leaving them a key they could find.The local garage used to joke with us that they knew where everybodies hidden keys were... typically pretty obivious up on the lift. I've been happy with my solution. We have done this with all family cars... dear daughter took one to college & all was well until she let her GFs know. Then they started borrowing her car until she removed the hidden key. With a sedan with an older style separate trunk key... you hide a trunk key & leave the ignition inside the car.

• Like 1

I haven't tried this yet, since when I remember about it I'm usually at home and to close to confirm this.My friend was at the fuel station a couple towns away and was locked out of his truck. He did have his cell phone with him and called his wife at work. When it was sort of quiet with all the traffic coming in and out, he told her to hit it and put the phone next to the truck ... she her hit her key fob ... the doors open.May help someone in the future if it works.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When I'm back & forth working around the truck, I also pull the key out just enough to shut the dinger off. Warning!! Unlock both doors when you do. One time I must have bumped the lock plunger getting out & locked myself out. Inconvenient. Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Did some looking / asking around and the solution is simple. In the door you want to leave open, you will find the door latch mechanism on the side that mates with the pillar. Inside the latch is a black claw / u shape piece. Take a small screw driver and push down and back on the black piece. It will rotate down and in. Once this is all the way in the dinger will stop.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...