• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2005 Caravan with a 3.8 intermittant engine ping/rattle

Hey all,I have a 05 caravan with the 3.8L which I bought new and now has 70,000 on the clock.Over the years it has had an intermittent ping/rattle under light to heavy acceleration. I typically use 91 octane fuel in it and seems to help a little, but it still happens from time to time. It has happened on cold days and hot days on flat terrain or hilly terrain. Does this engine have a knock sensor? and if it is working shouldn't it back off the timing, if this is a problem?I seem to remember in the 90's dodge had different ecms based on where the vehicle was operating, ( at least on the dakotas and ram gassers)The vehicle was purchased in Georgia with the elevation around 900ft. The vehicle is now typically driven around 4000 to 5000 ft elevation. Could this play into the fuel/air mixture, or should the computer compensate for this? Any clues are appreciated!GB