• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Aluminum Rim Failure

• Owner

Well gang... I finally got bit by the the aluminum rim cracking problem. When in to try and have another set of 235/85 R16 tire put on them and the shop person called me back in the shop and 3 of my rims where cracked. So now I'm shopping for rim and tires again.. I already dropped my rims off with a friend to have them recycled and hopefully he remembers to drop some pics of it on the web...

Expensive scrap!! I hit a hunk of firewood that someone thoughtfully left in the road (car in front swerved at the last second)... I was driving the Cirrus... bent the inside of the rim all to crap! My garage found me a good used rim, had been cleaned... all 4 leak air these days, so I don't know what to say.

Expensive scrap!! I hit a hunk of firewood that someone thoughtfully left in the road (car in front swerved at the last second)... I was driving the Cirrus... bent the inside of the rim all to crap! My garage found me a good used rim, had been cleaned... all 4 leak air these days, so I don't know what to say.

you weren't i Idaho were you?:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Where are they cracking? I have not heard of this, is it a casting problem? Might be an opportunity to move up to 17" late model rims and tires. I see factory take off wheel and tire combos on craigslist in Denver fairly regularly for around $1000. Betcha you could find some in Salt Lake or closer if you looked around. Chris

I bent the wheel so that it locked up when it hit the strut!

Shoot, I have a set of 16" steel wheels that would bolt right on that I would let you have for $100!! lol I forgot, I also have the chrome dress up rings for them too!

• Owner

Too late now there on there way to the recycle center in Payette today... I guess there is no pics either... :duh: I was hoping my buddy would got pics of them and posted up...I did want to truck home grab the camera shot a few pics and then truck them back to New Meadows, ID 40 mile round trip for pics... Oh well... :shrug:

What kind of wheels are you replacing them with Mike? I thought the wheel cracking issue was with 17" wheels and only a small handful if that. I hope mine hold up! If you want to sell your single good rim let me know. Chris

No leaks... The cracks where on the inside bead where you wouldn't normally see it. But 3 wheels had at least 3-5 cracks a piece in them... But 1 wheel was absolutely fine... Go figure... :shrug: